Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Game-Mode That YOU Think Should Be Official

...It just really sux how the only TvT gamemode out there is KOTH…..

There are some great TVT game modes TacBF : amazing sector control, truly intense battles. (much better than King of the Hill: "run to center of…sigh... kavala….again…. camp and meat grind, rinse & repeat)

Also Capture the Island, you mentioned battlefield, this is fairly close, of course with arma realism. I honestly wonder why KOH people still play it for so long, it gets stale so very quickly. I think maybe people are intimidated by the map or rules on Sector control games in Arma 3? I'm baffled.

Edited by Big_T

Combined Arms showcase, just reworked for a bigger scale. That would be fun.

i also think that your second point is part of the thinking that leads to arma having such a lack of PvP like that.

"Arma is this, Arma isn't that". BIS did so much in terms of infantry movement that i don't think that's a good argument anymore.

We have played also many many hundreds if not thousand of hours AAS in both A2 and OA - public and match play. I also do know C5 and their work.

Plus we have played essentially everything since OFP - be in CQB, CTF, C&H or large scale like CTI or PvP MP campaigns (with or without respawn).

Certainly A3 has improved a good deal in infantry movement - however you have to keep in mind that there was only Stratis around when Blitzkrieg was

popular for 2-3 months during alpha and early beta. After that the competitive scene died fully and public play fully shifted to Wasteland (despite very poor fps

and despite goal focused design/because of free roam) (with a bit of TDM remaining - KotH just got off way after A3 official release eventually).

In any case A3 is still not designed for CQB play, albeit there is improvement - its also the terrain design (no real micro terrain, no complex buildings

or building to building "connections") and you can only do so much with the editor (+ tedious and bad for FPS).

In any case the community has made many good game modes over the years - the server browser and the way new players are (not) assisted getting

into game along with their expectations (not) being managed (ie A3 was never advertised as good PvP game).

There are some great TVT game modes TacBF : amazing sector control, truly intense battles. (much better than King of the Hill: "run to center of…sigh... kavala….again…. camp and meat grind, rinse & repeat)

TacBF doesn't seem to be that popular, and contains some gameplay changes that many players are likely to find questionable. There really aren't any (played) sector control missions for vanilla Arma other than KOTH.

TacBF doesn't seem to be that popular, and contains some gameplay changes that many players are likely to find questionable. There really aren't any (played) sector control missions for vanilla Arma other than KOTH.

Which gameplay changes do you speak of ? Seems fairly straight forward to me. TacBF is finally gaining some well deserved traction still mostly embraced by Europe they are on a European server population timescale :http://www.gametracker.com/search/arma3/?query=tacbf as of 1pm monday pacific north american time there are 57 players in game :) too bad I can't join at the moment.

Also Eutw capture the island is sector control, pretty much vanilla with options for sound mods , and they have a good following although sadly same Europe times is the same with even more players as of 1pm pacific north american time there are 170 players playing over 3 servers. http://www.gametracker.com/search/arma3/?query=eutw

They way the multiplier server menu works now it just favors the most populated servers within a play style, no favorites, exclusion or anything, hopefully that will change.

Edited by Big_T

Which gameplay changes do you speak of ? Seems fairly straight forward to me.

Suppression effects.

Also, I would say that a little over 200 players, mostly in Europe, is pretty insignificant compared with the roughly 2000 people playing KOTH right now. There are currently 0 people playing EUTW in NA servers and there aren't even any TacBF servers in North America at all. Unless an NA player wants to play with high latency or has enough friends to jumpstart an empty US EUTW server, KOTH looks like the only viable option. This is compounded by Arma's poor server browswer.

Edit: And of course other non-European players are also out of luck as far as servers go.

Edited by roshnak

;2909366']and you can only do so much with the editor (+ tedious and bad for FPS).

In any case the community has made many good game modes over the years - the server browser and the way new players are (not) assisted getting

into game along with their expectations (not) being managed (ie A3 was never advertised as good PvP game).

yea agreed. the way editor placed objects kill FPS has gotten worse too compared to arma 2, i think. having an official game mode like that hosted on official servers would maybe help the current situation though.

the point i was trying to make about doing certain things differently was not so much about past game modes being bad, but more how "casualizing" certain aspects and adding more detail in terms of team management could maybe counter the current state of things and draw in more people.

i'm all for hardcore stuff but i gotta say that while i get the thinking behind avoiding stuff like respawning on squad mates or even flags for example (i had talks about this with TacBF people), i gotta say that this can not only put off especially new people but also result in people just ending up spread out all over.

the intention of realism is nice but even TacBF people (the ones i talked to) themselves are frustrated with lack of communication after sessions and stuff. so it's kind of paradox. why not be more aggressive with mechanics then? all i care about is a good firefight. and as long as people don't pop out of eachother's asses i'm fine with more action inducing spawning.

Edited by Bad Benson

Suppression effects.

Also, I would say that a little over 200 players, mostly in Europe, is pretty insignificant compared with the roughly 2000 people playing KOTH right now. There are currently 0 people playing EUTW in NA servers and there aren't even any TacBF servers in North America at all. Unless an NA player wants to play with high latency or has enough friends to jumpstart an empty US EUTW server, KOTH looks like the only viable option. This is compounded by Arma's poor server browswer.

Edit: And of course other non-European players are also out of luck as far as servers go.

Well what is the point you are getting at ? yes King of the hill the most popular. Would you as rather play king of the Hill or try something a little better with less players and build it up the player count? I'm saying there are other alternatives that are getting a bit of traction mentioned in this thread, hopefully those tired of KOH can build up new play styles.

Domination or some large scale alive coop style mission would be cool.

Domination or some large scale alive coop style mission would be cool.

Agree'd, we need more standard missions that would include more intuitive and unique gameplay opportunities to a large group of players, Veteran, and new comers. Domination has been done, and is repetitive. The second idea, is interesting however.

How about a 16 vs 16 tank battle with single-player controlled tanks.

Then add a tree of modern tanks from 1980 until 2020 and make it a free to play game with realistic gameplay simulation and such, cool game modes, super detailed tank models, and approximately realistic fire controls.

Then call it ARMA : Composite Warfare and beat world of tanks, war thunder and that other new game to smithereens with superior czech style and the grandiose powers of developer and community combined, by which the free to play game world will be turned upside down forever and ever.

Clearly invade and annex.Since no one mentioned it yet.

it wold be nice to combine invade n annex with koth

now what do i mean ... 2 bases with airfields ... 1 blufor, 1 independant .... 40 players on each side .. 3 squads of 9 (2 FT + 1 SL),

3 pilots, 2 mortar and sniper teams,Drone operators and one HQ for each team.

and spawning AOs main and side mission across the whole map :D

now what do i mean ... 2 bases with airfields ... 1 blufor, 1 independant .... 40 players on each side .. 3 squads of 9 (2 FT + 1 SL),

TvT Domination was played in public sometimes in Arma 2. It was pretty nice.

If there is desire to collaborate on such a project, I do not mind lending a hand. Speaking as one of the old core devs of current MP I&A, though I have not worked on I&A in 8-9 months.

PvP was often requested in forums, and here is some of the ground which was covered as to why it was never implemented.

The goal was to cater to mil-sim and serious tactical communities. At the time, Wasteland and Altis Life were catering to the PvP crowd. There was a hole in the TvT market, but TvT has its own set of problems and limitations which I&A was not structured to address.

Generally, the crowd who are interested in mil-sim co-op experience are not at all interested in the PvP element. Several experiments were done about a year ago, allowing groups of trusted players to play as enemy in limited capacity. This did not go over well with the communities and playerbase at the time, so the concept was abandoned.

A seed remained however, to have a Support role for enemy players. Such as transport pilot for AI reinforcements and other such tasks. In that sense, you have enemy humans, but the co-op players still get the slower, tactical experience. Work started on that system, but around that time I terminated my work on the I&A project, and it was never started back up.

A little known fact was that around Jul/Aug 2014, there was also a thought to enter I&A into MANW, polish it up and highlight some of the more interesting gameplay elements, and post it in MANW in a 'Donate all winnings to charity (Red Cross)' capacity. There are too many contributors for it to have entered in a traditional sense, but I believe we could have gotten on board enough of the script contributors to agree to enter it in the contest, with the understanding of donating all winnings to charity if it should place well.

Ultimately not enough effort was put in for that to be realized, and around that time I could not contact Rarek (the original author), so that did not help.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Welp, now that ACE3 is confirmed... I think that EUTW laced with ACE would do wonders. Could you guys imagine that? The most realistic PvP game mode. Would be interesting.

Welp, now that ACE3 is confirmed... I think that EUTW laced with ACE would do wonders. Could you guys imagine that? The most realistic PvP game mode. Would be interesting.

Doesn't EUTW still have teleport to town ?

I would love to see a Asymmetric warfare mode with guerilla warfare between a powerful well equipped force and a smaller force that has persistence and is designed to be left running indefinetely on the server not unlike Wasteland or Dayz.

Think Insurgency from Arma 2 with PVP aspects and persistence.

I will post a general desing aobut 1 of the desings I have in mind. The first one and the easies is an Infantry MP game mode similar to Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat.

The Place.

I just about building a town in altis between Zaros and Therisa towns. It is a flat area of altis with some earth roads with no buildings and a size of 1.1 x 1.1 kilometers, so establishing the objectives more or less at the same distances for balance should be easier.

RlPvFPG.jpg[/img]

Gameplay.

As I said I want 4 teams NATO CSAT AAF and FIA (civilians with FIA gear).

Start Points Every match, every Side should be assigned a random starting point. So the mission will have 24 diferent posible combinations everytime the match starts.

Max Players As the game mode is designed only for infantry maybe it can handle lots of players maybe 20 players per team, 80 players in game.

Objective: Capture the town. The town should have 12 Points represented with 12 High capturable Buildings. Yellow squares at image.

Respawn. I would like to have a Wave respawn, as Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat, the first teammate who dies start a countdown and at the end of the countdown all the dead players of the team respawn at once.

Respawn Point The respawn points are moving from the start position to a closer position to the captured zones the team already have, so the teams are pushing each other outside of the town.

Wining Condition: The team that capture 7 of the 12 Capturable buildings win the match.

Roles: Instead of money, buy gear I would like to add diferent roles. with specific gear and habilities. "Leader, Medic, Sniper, Machine Gunner, Crewman, Pilots... whatever.

I am waiting for x-cam mod or the BIS 3D Editor to start doing the town. I tryed once with zeus giving something like this.

VUVE6PN.jpg[/img]

If someone could give me some lessons to achieve something like that the help ould be welcome.

Edited by Esfumato

I found vanilla pvp almost unplayable after playing ace 2.

Hopefully ACE3 becomes the default mod for pvp and is adopted across the board by everyone.

Doesn't EUTW still have teleport to town ?

It does. But i guess i was in over my head thinking about a version of EUTW tailored to realism where all you wouldn't be able to teleport to town. Or idk. I thought it'd be cool. Them ACE Banana's going to my brain. xD

---------- Post added at 06:02 ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 ----------

I found vanilla pvp almost unplayable after playing ace 2.

Hopefully ACE3 becomes the default mod for pvp and is adopted across the board by everyone.

Inside, i'm hoping ACE3 becomes the backbone for every (Ok, maybe most) dedicated PvP servers, and takes over the server list, leaving the Life servers to 2nd or 3rd place on the list. Just so people can see how good Arma is with a a genuinely more realistic focus, and this would also bring up opportunities for Arma 3 Veterans to be able to place alongside new comers and maybe help them out with stuff. Idk, it could be interesting. I just hope that it's just as accessible as AGM was so everyone can get into it very easily.

Inside, i'm hoping ACE3 becomes the backbone for every (Ok, maybe most) dedicated PvP servers, and takes over the server list, leaving the Life servers to 2nd or 3rd place on the list. Just so people can see how good Arma is with a a genuinely more realistic focus, and this would also bring up opportunities for Arma 3 Veterans to be able to place alongside new comers and maybe help them out with stuff. Idk, it could be interesting. I just hope that it's just as accessible as AGM was so everyone can get into it very easily.
And how well does this hold up when part of the appeal of the other stuff (if not Life) is the ability to just download a mission file with no mod dependencies?
Generally, the crowd who are interested in mil-sim co-op experience are not at all interested in the PvP element. Several experiments were done about a year ago, allowing groups of trusted players to play as enemy in limited capacity. This did not go over well with the communities and playerbase at the time, so the concept was abandoned.
Why did this no go over well at the time?

.... Why did this no go over well at the time?

I'll field that question Chortles:

It was found coop players don't like to get wtfpawnt by the ai lead by the evil tiger teams:)

As far as ace3..., meh. If it's needed to play a server..., so be it.

Otherwise, plain jane arma is fine by me --and since plain arma is still under development ..., weapons-resting was the best thing in ace2.

I also liked the map tools in ace2..., but i could live without it.

Back on topic, "Official" won't have much meaning til Bis gets behind their modes with servers, admins, ts , & the whole nine yards of support.

Edited by Ratszo

I'll field that question Chortles:

It was found coop players don't like to get wtfpawnt by the ai lead by the evil tiger teams:)

Were the co-op players aware that there were *ahem* "tiger teams" on the other side in the first place, or was that an unwelcome surprise?

the only way is a good "sector control", but or BI does a map for the game mode or you get "Altis life" forever