Sign in to follow this  
PTV-Jobo

New Keybinding System Concerns

I have created this thread as per suggestion from DnA in regards to my concerns/problems as an arrows user regarding the "improved" key binding system recently put into place via the dev builds.

I hope that any other fellow arrows users and anyone else having strange occurrences or issues in regards to this "improvement" change will lend their voices to this thread and raise enough awareness to the dev who put this change into place ( Fyrgon ) that there will be consideration to revert these changes so those of us who have our binds that since the alpha build have worked just fine but now are bugged, broken, etc with these changes recently.

Here is the links to my initial post regarding my issue as well as a link to Frygon's response:

My post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152866-General-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2902893&viewfull=1#post2902893

Dev Frygons post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152866-General-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2903081&viewfull=1#post2903081

As I have already stated recently, I was approached by a few people privately about this change and how it has affected them negatively as arrows users, breaking binds that up until now have worked perfectly fine (even though BIS apparently thinks there is a major enough issue with keybinding to try changing it.) I have even wrote to the dev responsible for the....improvement...but so far no further acknowledgement or response. Thus, why I was directed to open my own thread regarding this issue.

Perhaps I am not up on current events, but up until now since playing the alpha build I have used my layout perfectly fine for years more or less (with of course modifications and additions in regards to arma 3's enhancements and new movement features/stances/etc).

To restate my own thoughts from the other night: It's certainly frustrating when you've been using a setup for years just perfectly fine and now suddenly out of the clear blue a change like this and now I have to spend all this time figuring out a weird new layout just because someone in the office felt it would be great to change something that I don't think the community has had a major issue with or felt severely broken (?). In fact I haven't faced the issues Frygon raised as reasons for his changes until now when these changes were put into effect on the dev build and probably heading for the next stable build, much to my worry.

Moreover, I suffer from a form of muscular dystrophy--a neuromuscular disease which affects all the muscles of the body, causes severe bouts of extreme weakness, etc--which affects my arms. So using my arrows layout was the most comfortable to my needs as a PC gamer. So for me at least, these changes have done far more negative than positive and really hope that they will reconsider these changes. I've been spending all of my arma time since my very first post regarding this issue trying to find a new layout, to no avail. It either didn't work, bugged out, or physically just not comfortable for my needs. So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and have much concern.

If there are any fellow arrows users also experiencing issues or dislike of the new changes, please add your thoughts to this thread, and we can hopefully bring about at least reconsideration. Thanks!

I use arrows too.

On the one hand the dev put time and effort into getting the alt to work while w was being held.

But it has jacked up my settings. I tried work around but then realised other key bindings have been altered. The stance ones Instead of one singular bind is broke into 4.. Wish both options were left available again more messing up my keys.

I'd feel less hard done by if the original binds had been requested to be changed.

I use arrows too.

On the one hand the dev put time and effort into getting the alt to work while w was being held.

But it has jacked up my settings. I tried work around but then realised other key bindings have been altered. The stance ones Instead of one singular bind is broke into 4.. Wish both options were left available again more messing up my keys.

I'd feel less hard done by if the original binds had been requested to be changed.

There's no reason to have the old adjust system when the new one can do the same and much more.

That would depend on how you set your keys up Jimmy , old way I could override the key functions Should I choose to.

Example I could map the adjust stance to my mouse extra key. Use it for up down left right adust. But when I was Prone I could map the same key to evasive roll. And it would overrie the Prone side stance which I found less useful.

As much as I would like to see keys reverted. Realistically only myself and yok So far have noticed due to us both testing on Dev branch.

Anyone else using w keys won't notice at all. Any otherd using arrows will only notice when this goes stable.

How do you use stance adjust with arrows key and other 37 keybinds by the way?

Here is another proud arrow user ;)

/KC

How do you use stance adjust with arrows key and other 37 keybinds by the way?

I hold right shift and to adust the different stances arrow up down left right.

Have an extra mouse key, hold this and arrows up down left right.

ahh thanks, I see, makes sense.

I use arrow keys too ... will need take look on what behaves different

Thanks a ton, Dwarden. :)

Wait- this change doesn't have anything to do with arrow keys, does it?

Isn't it just that walking has been given priority over jogging, so that it can act as a modifier to the (intended) default jog speed? Isn't this just a function of Yokhanan wanting walking to be the default movement type? Because if I transfer the default Arma movement controls over to the arrow keys, everything works as intended, and if I transfer Yokhanan's movement configuration to WASD, I have the same problems that he's reporting with the arrow keys.

I'm sure it's frustrating that keybindings that worked for years no longer do, but can't you just reverse the bindings for slow forward and forward such that up arrow = forward, and 2x up arrow = slow forward?

Edited by roshnak

I used one of the thumb mouse buttons for the stance adjust key (mouse button 4). Since 1.40 it's no longer possible to use it since combining it with another key to recreate previous functionality can't be done in control options.

Having the stance modifier key removed is probably the most frustrating change I ever experienced with this game, being forced to readjust from old habits.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22872

I used one of the thumb mouse buttons for the stance adjust key (mouse button 4). Since 1.40 it's no longer possible to use it since combining it with another key to recreate previous functionality can't be done in control options.

Having the stance modifier key removed is probably the most frustrating change I ever experienced with this game, being forced to readjust from old habits.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22872

Robalo you are talking about stable branch? Will have to check when I can test. Maybe I missed dev gone stable

Roshnak is it possible to have both or will having both affect one another. Leaving a person to choose the old one option adjust. Or more in debt one.

In regards to the arrow keys,I actually use right shift to change walk to jog. Double arrow key up to sprint. Will test more when I get home.

Robalo you are talking about stable branch? Will have to check when I can test. Maybe I missed dev gone stable

1.40 stable and current 1.43 dev, same thing.

Adjust (stance modifier) - gone

There are 4 new Adjust left/right/up/down settings instead, but there's no way to bind mouse4 + key anymore to achieve same setup as it worked in 1.38.

Having the stance modifier key removed is probably the most frustrating change I ever experienced with this gamel

I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem

I had only been on Dev branch, didn't realise it had already been implemented on stable. Any ideas Roshnak? Work around?

I had only been on Dev branch, didn't realise it had already been implemented on stable. Any ideas Roshnak? Work around?

Hummm..., i'm still using the old modifier on stable and don't see the new entries. Same profile i've used all along.

Can't explain it. I do run as admin tho.

• Fixed: Reverting changes in controls priority for movement (until we find a better solution)

It seems it was reverted in latest dev version

It seems it was reverted in latest dev version

Thank Gumbercules! I'm all up for a better solution, but man....I am way, way happy now to have my binds back to working the way they were again. Thanks a bunch BIS! :)

I have always used my mouse thumb button as a modifier and movement keys to adjust stance as well. I hate this new change. Please put the modifier option back.

I have always used my mouse thumb button as a modifier and movement keys to adjust stance as well. I hate this new change. Please put the modifier option back.

They don't need to put it back, they need to make sure you can combo mouse and keyboard input (MB4+A, MB5+Mousewheel Up, etc) like you can already with the keyboard input. (W+S, LCTRL+C, etc). That way, you'd be able to do what you want to do even with the current control separation scheme.

There's a ticket on the FT in regards to this since the moment A3 Alpha started, 2+ years now.

There are more game functions that suffer from not being able to keybind them this way than just stance modifiers. Things like zeroing, newly implemented turret raising and lowering, etc.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Thank Gumbercules! I'm all up for a better solution, but man....I am way, way happy now to have my binds back to working the way they were again. Thanks a bunch BIS! :)

And (some) people say BIS don't listen :)

/KC