helldesign

Open the helicopter gunner camera as a pilot?

I love helicopters, but lately I'm playing mostly singleplayer. Unfortunately flying a gunship without the turret controls and camera in singleplayer is unfulfilling experience (also AI Pilot has many bugs and is often uncontrollable).

Is it possible to open the helicopter gunner camera if you are the pilot via the dev console?

I am wondering this because for example you can open the UAV terminal with a simple command, without the UAV terminal item in your inventory.

Edited by helldesign

I'd do it with addaction.

Make sure the unit u have placed down has "this moveingunner heli;" and the unit is named.

The script ex would say 'switchplayer unitname' or somethinr liek that. Make sure to have an addaction back, so u can be pilot again. And, make sure that you dont crash :P

I guess that script would send me to the gunner slot in real time, and switch my AI gunner to the pilot seat. The problem is when I aim and shoot at the enemy as a gunner, my AI pilot can't keep still and always lower the altitude and/or move the helicopter to a random position and because of that I can't aim properly + my position is exposed.

so I thought calling that turret "terminal" or whatever it is from the dev console (if it's possible at all), would solve all of the problems I have.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Edit:

I just tryed your method. Following your guide (with one little change - the command for 'switching' the player with the AI is "selectplayer unitname") and I'm able to get the turret controls, but as I thought at the same moment of the switch - the AI pilot starts to lower the gunship and i'm loosing my targets... Any other way to call that turret camera without dealing with the AI?

Edited by helldesign

Yea, forgot that it was selectplayer :P maybe try enablesimulation false or turn 'Anim' off, although the helo might just shut its engines off so idk

Unfortunately I couldn't make it work. Anyways, Thanks for your help EpicGoldenWarrior :)

• Sad 1

Method "A":

+ helicopter keeps speed, pitch, bank and everything

+ player visible at the pilot sit

- some scripts for helicopters (like AGM FCS) doesn't work with this method

CH_fnc_controlGun = {
_heli = vehicle player;
_engineState = isEngineOn _heli;

_gunner = (createGroup playerSide) createUnit [typeOf player, [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
_gunner hideObjectGlobal true;
_gunner moveInGunner _heli;
moveOut player; 
player remoteControl _gunner; 
_heli switchCamera "GUNNER";
player moveInDriver _heli; 
_heli engineOn _engineState;

waitUntil {cameraView != "GUNNER"};

objNull remoteControl _gunner;
deleteVehicle _gunner;
};

Method "B":

+ should work with any scripts

- player visualy switches seats when takes control over gun fixed

- helicopter stops and hovers in air no metter what

- sometimes helicopter turns randomly like its scared or something lol

CH_fnc_controlGun = {
_heli = vehicle player;

_pilot = (createGroup playerSide) createUnit [typeOf player, [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
removeAllAssignedItems _pilot;
_pilot forceAddUniform (uniform player);
_pilot addVest (vest player);
_pilot addHeadgear (headgear player);
_pilot linkItem (goggles player);
_pilot setFace (face player);
player hideObjectGlobal true;
player action ["moveToGunner", _heli];
_pilot moveInDriver _heli;
{_pilot disableAI _x} forEach ["TARGET","AUTOTARGET","MOVE","ANIM","FSM","AIMINGERROR","SUPPRESSION"];

player action ["moveToDriver", _heli];
deleteVehicle _pilot;
player hideObjectGlobal false;
};

You can add action for this functions like this:

CH_validHeliArray = ["B_heli_Attack_01_F"];
player addAction ["Control gun", "_this spawn CH_fnc_controlGun", [], 99, false, true, "", "{toLower typeOf vehicle player isEqualTo toLower _x} count CH_validHeliArray > 0 && {isNull (gunner vehicle player)}"];

Edited by Champ-1
  • Like 1

*-* problem solved.

lol.

There is always place for improvments and both my methods are not ideal. So yeah... Not really solved.

Both of these methods do not work anymore. The first one doesn't do anything, and the second one causes the engine to shut off and crash into the ground.

I tweaked this to make another version that does work (I can control the turret) but it's not possible to change weapons while controlling the turret (and it seems random what weapon is selected) - so it seems like there's no reliable way of getting this to work today at all.

CH_fnc_controlGun = {
	_heli = vehicle player;
	_gunner = gunner _heli;

player remoteControl _gunner; 

objNull remoteControl _gunner;
};