Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

ARMA3 fails to launch!

Hi,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE on Fix for future reference:

This issue ended up being a dsound.dll in the arma3 directory over-riding the one in system32 folder. I stumbled on it by running 'eventvwr.msc' which highlighted an issue in my windows event logs\applications pointing to 'Creative Labs Sc' faulting. The next error was the ARMA3.exe error which detailed Dsound.dll as the issue. I believe this may have been created from my creative soundblaster\Alchemy software on my old machine. I guess this is a danger when copying your steamapps folder to another machine, it will pull across remanent files that may not be required. When I uninstalled ARMA3 it probably left these files, so hence they still existed when I re-downloaded the entire game. I may have been ok if I went into steamapps and deleted what was left of the ARMA3 installation..ie the ARMA3 folder, therefore you can't assume the uninstall ARMA3 function deletes the entire installation...only the core game files.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have bought a new PC [see specs below] and I can't get ARMA3 to launch. Originally I copied my old steamapps folder to my new machine, all my other games worked except ARMA3.

• Attempting to launch from steam direct -> Nothing happens at all [tries to launch but can't?]
  • Attempting to launch from launcher -> Launcher opens but selecting "Play" results in same as above.
  • Attempting to launch from arma3.exe directly -> results in the following error dialogue.
    arma3.exe - Application Error
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

I have also tried the following as per threads on this and other forums:

• Updating DirectX -> DxDiag does not report any problems.
  • run SFC /scannow with no errors found.
  • Uninstalling and re-installing ARMA3 [fresh installation].
  • Making an ARMA3 steam backup on a working installation [my old one] and then restoring from that backup on my new PC.
  • Deleting PhysX3_x86.dll and re-verifiing cache\local files.
  • Running ARMA3.exe as administrator.
  • Tried disabling windows firewall and windows defender [my only security software on PC]
  • Running in windowed mode with -nobenchmark launch parameter

Please find attached my specs:

Intel® Core i7-4790 CPU

Gigabyte Z97-HD3 motherboard

GeForce GTX 770

16G Ram

Windows 8.1 Pro X64

Note: I can not inspect the ARMA3 log file because the %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Arma 3 path does not exist, only the ARMA3 Launcher\logs directory. Perhaps the game is exiting before usual log file is created?

I hope someone can help as I am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks

Rough.

Edited by Rough Knight
Updated with new info.

Run Arma3.exe as administrator, if it already is, then stop running it as administrator.

Thanks for the reply Samy.

I had previously tried that still does not work. Running from the ARMA3 executable directly results in the following error.

arma3.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

I have updated the first post with some other potential fixes I have tried.

Cheers.

Rough.