Gekon

[Official] Launcher Feedback

Hi there,

direct your feedback on the official Arma 3 Launcher here. This is (non-exclusively) related to the Launcher being the default way to launch the game starting from Thursday 26/03/15. Thanks :)

Reminder: bugs still belong to Feedback Tracker in the Launcher category.

Edited by DnA

I was using the launcher for the last couple of weeks and it is a great piece of software.

It is easy for Mod management and I like it a lot so far. Can't wait for the enhanced Steam Workshop integration.

Launcher is perfect solution for mod managment and it works pretty well. But why it must be running by default. When i need modded arma i'm using launcher, and direct start when i need vanila game.

Hey, I am having problems with the launcher. Ever since forcing people to make the launcher default I am unable to play the game. I am not going to make a bug report because I know its something that cant be fixed and is in my end. Is there some launch parameter to skip the launcher because the game currently does not even open past some errors thanks.

Before people tell me to download the new version of C++, I know thats the solution but my computer does not allow me to install it.

If anyone knows how to make Arma 3 run without opening the Launcher please let me know.

Thanks.

Hey, I am having problems with the launcher. Ever since forcing people to make the launcher default I am unable to play the game. I am not going to make a bug report because I know its something that cant be fixed and is in my end.

Hi, are you sure it can't be fixed? Please, tell us more.

There is a command-line parameter -noLauncher that should skip it. Or you can make a direct shortcut to arma3.exe (both applications are still independent).

If -nolauncher is used, can mods still be activated and deactivated using old in-game Expansion menu?

Edit: The answer is yes. Great!

Edited by OMAC

God no, go away with this piece of crap. Why force us to use this crappy tool? Why cant u make -launcher para to make it userfriendly?

God no, go away with this piece of crap. Why force us to use this crappy tool? Why cant u make -launcher para to make it userfriendly?

Piece of crap? I can't live without it after it was introduced. Only things that are missing are better workshop support (not really launcher's issue and coming later) and no server browser.

How hard is it to just use the launch parameter...? It's a great tool and user friendly.

Why cant u make -launcher para to make it userfriendly?

Thanks. We'd be really grateful for more specific tips where to improve user-friendliness. What is not working for you?

Piece of crap? I can't live without it after it was introduced. Only things that are missing are better workshop support (not really launcher's issue and coming later) and no server browser.

How hard is it to just use the launch parameter...? It's a great tool and user friendly.

Yes! Server browser and the new workshop will make this thing even more beautiful.

The launcher is amazing and has now become essential for me when it comes to managing mods. I think you did the right thing in making it the default way to launch the game. And now, some suggestions:

-There is no point for the "ALL" button if the only thing it's going to do is make the arrows show up. If it's not going to serve any other purpose in the future, I suggest removing it and having the arrows visible everytime.

-The amount of reports showed could match the window size. Resizing should increase how many reports you can see and viceversa.

-In my opinion, the "Mod management" section in the options should be integrated into the "MODS" tab.

Perhaps by having another button next to the "MODS" one. Or maybe by shrinking the buttons to add mods, pushing them to the left (and put them one under another), and adding a little window on the right where you can manage the folders that contain mods. Just throwing some ideas around.

Edit:

And one thing I forgot: the only way to see the scenarios you have subscribed to is to add them from the launcher. If you do it directly from the Workshop, they don't show up. But I suppose this is going to be addressed when you're going to add a Scenario section, of which we already talked about on the feedback tracker.

(link for reference: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23071)

Edited by FrankHH

-There is no point for the "ALL" button if the only thing it's going to do is make the arrows show up. If it's not going to serve any other purpose in the future, I suggest removing it and having the arrows visible everytime.

-The amount of reports showed could match the window size. Resizing should increase how many reports you can see and viceversa.

-In my opinion, the "Mod management" section in the options should be integrated into the "MODS" tab.

Perhaps by having another button next to the "MODS" one. Or maybe by shrinking the buttons to add mods, pushing them to the left (and put them one under another), and adding a little window on the right where you can manage the folders that contain mods. Just throwing some ideas around.

Thanks for the feedback! Really.

* All tab will be removed on the next dev branch update, resizing will be included and overall the news will behave more like they intuitively should :)

* Mod management: that's great idea. Right now, we treat it as a very advanced feature and placing it into Options made sense. But we are cooking up some redesign of how tabs work and this will likely be placed in a separate tab under mods.

* Scenarios: I hear you, priority for this was increased :)

Edited by Gekon

I actually really enjoy the launcher. The things that I believe would make it better would be:

1: Server browser w/ automatic mod downloads from the server (if the mods aren't already on steam)

2: I've never been a big fan of lists (I know, ironic), so maybe a way to switch from list view for mods to Icon view (if there's no mod icon it would just read the name)

3: detection of already existing mods when you have the same mod downloaded from the workshop (This has happened to me)

4: automatic detection of mods downloaded via the steam workshop (I'm sure that's on it's way)

I actually really enjoy the launcher. The things that I believe would make it better would be:

1: Server browser w/ automatic mod downloads from the server (if the mods aren't already on steam)

2: I've never been a big fan of lists (I know, ironic), so maybe a way to switch from list view for mods to Icon view (if there's no mod icon it would just read the name)

3: detection of already existing mods when you have the same mod downloaded from the workshop (This has happened to me)

4: automatic detection of mods downloaded via the steam workshop (I'm sure that's on it's way)

Great ideas right there.

#1 will be hard to do with non-workshop-mods.

#2 is absolutely great!

#3 makes sense.

#4 it is already this way.

Only if I started using this before!

I can't see it anywhere in this thread but it's a very simple thing that I didn't see: The launcher shutting down after opening the game. As an option in the launcher settings maybe?

Unless i missed it, there NEEDS to be a way to completely disable the launcher. Myself and the group i play with use PlayWithSix for our mods(30 some) but right now i'm already having issues where the game won't launch with the mods because it has to go through the launcher.

Adding the paramater -nolauncher to PlayWithSix does nothing.. it still goes to the launcher and putting -nolauncher in steam bypasses the launcher but then the game won't launch with the mods...

So please, if I'm doing something wrong someone tell me, otherwise this needs to change.

Thanks for the help, I was able to run arma without going through the launcher. The issues I had were because I did not have C++ 2013 installed, and cannot install it because of my windows installer not working.

Once again thanks for the help

1: planned, will not be anytime soon and probably for workshop mods only (not server based)

2: as much as tiles are a thing now, lists are better for creating and communicating the load order (which might matter) for the mods being loaded. But we will enable showing the icon/image in the mod info.

3: I see what you mean, but is a tricky thing to solve. We'll think about it.

4: newly subscribed mods are automatically downloaded and included.

I can't see it anywhere in this thread but it's a very simple thing that I didn't see: The launcher shutting down after opening the game. As an option in the launcher settings maybe?

Added to the backlog. Thanks!

Unless i missed it, there NEEDS to be a way to completely disable the launcher. Myself and the group i play with use PlayWithSix for our mods(30 some) but right now i'm already having issues where the game won't launch with the mods because it has to go through the launcher.

Since PwS is (capable of) launching arma3.exe directly, it is a matter of your setup. We are able to run it without the Launcher from there. (We have disabled the legacy Steam launcher option, and added param -nolauncher, mods are working).

Edited by Gekon

(We have disabled the legacy Steam launcher option

That was the missing piece, thanks.

Still a bit annoying to have to do all these work arounds for something that used to be a simple click on the mouse..

At first I hated the damned thing. Then I actually used it and now I like it. As someone who used the command line parameter thing for mods since the first Operation Flashpoint I was annoyed by the need of a launcher. But I loaded all my mods on the launcher and now it is preferable because it is toggable.

As for ideas for the launcher is it possible for you guys to have Armaholic support for the launcher? I think a lot of the community uses Armaholic for its mod downloads rather than the workshop and it would awesome for mods to be updated automatically instead of having to check the forum thread every couple days to find out the mod updated two weeks prior.

The launcher is PERFECT allready:)

Its my prime source to launch the game with mods! Far better than anyother launcher. The only thing that needs doing is proper steam support and a conection to an rpt for user made mods that refuse to put them on steam. If it had that it would be the best thing to happen to arma (#bipodz not included in the list yet :p)

Is there a way to load the game without launcher without losing steam launch options?

Right now if we load the game directly from executable we cant have steam launch options.

I dont need launcher and I dont want it.

when launching from playwithsix... it launches the arma 3 launcher and then loads up arma 3 without any of my mods active! i want to turn this launcher off already :(

[EDIT]going to try -nolauncher

[EDIT again] nope this did stop launcher starting but.. still mods are inactive when they should be.

it was working yesterday evening i dont get it.

Edited by tyl3r99