Cole_

Uniform Workflow

I'm pretty sure you can model a uniform (just like a vest) and weight it to the skeleton via selections? Or do I need to create a whole new character?

Can I just create the uniform to put over basicbody (basically utilising the new ArmA 3 modular gear e.g changeable vests, uniforms)?

If so, what is the workflow for creating a uniform and how does it differ from creating something like a vest of headgear?

Use the A3 character sample, create your uniform on top of that (retopo tools work here), then remove the body part and keep only the head and the hands, and weight it as you would do with a vest. So all in all, it is a new body, the "uniform" doesn't behave like a vest, it is not on top as there is no underlayer.

Hope that helps

Use the A3 character sample, create your uniform on top of that (retopo tools work here), then remove the body part and keep only the head and the hands, and weight it as you would do with a vest. So all in all, it is a new body, the "uniform" doesn't behave like a vest, it is not on top as there is no underlayer.

Hope that helps

Eh... excuse me for writing here,  I can't start a new topic since I'm newbie here, but I have a question regarding the uniform modelling. I've been googling about it for a week already, but still haven't find the exact problem I'm having.

I tried making my own uniform, just for training, placing it over the character example model, but failed at that completely, so decided to train on the ArmA 2 models first. 

I took Bardak's uniform model (with all selections and stuff), but only the uniform mesh, no proxies, nothing invisible or anything, copy pasted and placed it over the character template model, aligned it by the hands vertices, so the points seem to be one over another (however after certain zoom the selection I'm moving simply stops to be shown for some reason), removed the template hands and legs, wrote the proper modelconfig, but result was somewhat weird: hands get strecthed (sometimes, with different positioning there are somewhat similar problems with elbows for example)

here's what I'm talking about (nevermind the wrong textures, they're not significant here): 

SuxhlA0p--8.jpg

Daq9cFUFHjo.jpg

So after getting this problem I began playing around with character example model (it's fine when I do everything the same with its model only) -- I placed it in a bit different position and it gets distorted in similar way I guess : 

MfBPShzftBA.jpg 

Playing around I found that moving in different directions gives the different versions of this error.

So, as far as I understand the problem is with the positioning of the model in O2/Object builder, but I can't understand within which borders I'm able to make my models not to get everything distorted like in example with Bardak's fatigues. Is there any way to automatically position the models right not to get everything distorted? Because when importing from fbx or obj (the only formats I'm able to export my models correctly) the models are missplaced and I have to move them over the character example model manually, like I did with the Bardak's uniform (which had correct selections and weights, I guess) and the result is bad. 

did you weight the model? doesn't seem so

• Like 1

did you weight the model? doesn't seem so

Indeed I did not. Thank you very much for your answer, I'll try weighting it now ( I read some tutorial about moving ArmA 2 models into ArmA 3, and didn't notice anything about weighting there -_-). Sorry for asking (as it turns out) stupid questions. 

First image looks like the parts that are going through the ground are unweighted. Go through the selections and find which vertexes aren't coloured, and weigh them by pressing "N" (brings up the weight tool).

Second image looks like the forearm mesh isn't aligned to the skeleton. Open up male.p3d in the TemplateRTM folder (which is inside your Samples_F), find edit 2, export it to your modelling program and import your mesh on top of it.

• Like 1