Sign in to follow this  
jones140

Request {willing to learn}

i would like to ask if anyone would be willing to spend the time talking / helping through making a terrain start to finish have basic experience in arma3 modding i have or can get all software needed .

like to think i have some great idea but i am struggling with written tutorials

very eager to learn as terrains in arma have always fascinated me

i have ts3 skype steam ect

any response would be great :cool:

I'd suggest starting with Jakerod's Atlas Guide to Arma 3 Terrain Editing.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188299-The-Atlas-Guide-to-ArmA-3-Terrain-Making

I just started no more than a month ago, and once I got the basics down, I started looking around for how to get real life height maps and such, and then began taking tons of low altitude images of an area via Google Earth to stitch together into a large satellite map.

So far the hardest things for me to learn was creating/importing a heightmap from scratch.

It doesn't give you "From Scratch" but gives you everything you'd need to get started.

I've also been using CAP's video tutorials for more help on things I was having an issue with.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUiViqS-dLHruCtyGL_bHrYDgmgkNV2E5

...I started looking around for how to get real life height maps and such, and then began taking tons of low altitude images of an area via Google Earth to stitch together into a large satellite map...

Hey, no need to take tons of images from Google.

I will suggest you use Terra Incognita in conjunction with Global Mapper.

Terra Incognita will allow you to export an OziExplorer calibrated map file from different sources (Google Mapsâ„¢, Bingâ„¢, Open street map...) and with the resolution you need (I used Bing for mine for example as on the zone I am mapping the quality is way much better than the Google ones).
Once you have generater the map file, you can then import it inside Global Mapper and obtain a perfect alignment of the satmap with the imported heightmap.

An alternative way to download the satmap you need, could be to use "Universal map downloader", but the resulting file is usually pretty big in size and its not that easy to move / rotate the image in order to fit the underlying terrain properly.

You can get the grisp on Global Mapper via this old but still excellent tutorial; here is the link to the forum post (the link to download the file is down though) and here is the link to download the tutorial.

Happy mapping!

Oh wow. I looked around for so long for an automated way to do it with no success, so resorted to the manual method. Thanks a ton!