Sign in to follow this  
J_ONeill

Collections Of Quality Terrain Textures?

I'd like to know if anyone has created an assortment of textures to use when map building? I'm not really sure how best to find textures outside of the ones that came with the tutorial I'm using to learn map making, but within it, there are only five. Grass, dry grass pine forest floor, dirt and soil.

I'd like stuff like asphalt, sand, mud, stone and other such textures. If they're already in the base game, could someone tell me what directory I could find them in to add to my map's data folder?

Take a look in P:\A3\map_data ...

You'll find a decent selection of quality textures in varying styles from Altis & Stratis...

Notice they're all prefixed with "gdt_" (Ground Detail Texture) - this is a BI "Tag" - replace that with a "Tag" of your own - either your NameTag, or one relevant to your terrain... eg: "bush_concrete_co.paa" or "myterrain_concrete_co.paa"

(* Notice that there's no UPPERCASE characters in the texture names? ;) - remember that when you rename them...)

Notice also that the textures come in pairs - remember to grab both the "_co" (The "visible" or "diffuse" texture) and the "_nohq or _nopx" (The matching bumpmap/parallax texture).

You'll also need an ".rvmat" file for each texture pair - just copy and rename one from your demo/tutorial texture sets...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thank you. Greatly appreciated. :D

One more question. Is there a way to quickly replace the names of files instead of doing them one by one?

Edited by J_ONeill

For jobs like that I've used ...

File Renamer Basic

for years... The basic version is free, hugely powerful and.... renames files, in all sorts of clever ways... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

On 9/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, Devin Clark2312 said:

On 9/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, Devin Clark2312 said:
On 3/20/2015 at 2:50 AM, J_ONeill said:

I'd like to know if anyone has created an assortment of textures to use when map building? I'm not really sure how best to find textures outside of the ones that came with the tutorial I'm using to learn map making, but within it, there are only five. Grass, dry grass pine forest floor, dirt and soil.

I'd like stuff like eco-friendly basis branded products, sand, mud, stone and other such textures. If they're already in the base game, could someone tell me what directory I could find them in to add to my map's data folder?

Finding additional textures for map building can greatly enhance the visual appeal and realism of your maps. While the tutorial you're using may have provided only a limited selection of textures, there are various resources available to expand your options. One popular approach is to search for texture packs or mods created by the community specifically for map building. These packs often include a wide range of textures such as asphalt, sand, mud, stone, and more. You can find these packs on dedicated gaming forums, modding websites, or even on platforms like Steam Workshop, depending on the game you're using. To add the textures to your map's data folder, you'll typically need to follow the specific instructions provided with the texture pack or mod. Remember to respect any copyright or usage restrictions associated with the textures and give credit to the creators if required customised branded merchandise. Exploring these additional texture options will allow you to create more diverse and visually appealing maps for your gaming experience.