Sign in to follow this  
Janez

Act of Aggression

Act of Aggression is an upcoming real-time strategy game developed by Eugen Systems and published by Focus Home Interactive. Act of Aggression is stated to be a spiritual successor to Eugen Systems' previous Act of War titles, hence the similarities in the titles.

More on Wiki.

Some new info: http://www.pcgamer.com/act-of-aggression-trailer-spotlights-the-us-army/

Act of War: Direct Action from 2005 was one of my favorite RTS games and was quite disappointing that it did not work on 64-bit systems. After not very interesting campaigns in Wargame series, I am quite excited about this. I don't play much MP. Hopefully it will feature cheesy cutscenes with real actors again :). AoW was like C&C with realistic (at least the names and models) units and weapon systems.

Edited by Janez

Act of Aggression is an upcoming real-time strategy game developed by Eugen Systems and published by Focus Home Interactive. Act of Aggression is stated to be a spiritual successor to Eugen Systems' previous Act of War titles, hence the similarities in the titles.

More on Wiki.

Act of War: Direct Action from 2005 was one of my favorite RTS games and was quite disappointing that it did not work on 64-bit systems. After not very interesting campaigns in Wargame series, I am quite excited about this. I don't play much MP. Hopefully it will feature cheesy cutscenes with real actors again :). AoW was like C&C with realistic (at least the names and models) units and weapon systems.

My hopes are not very high. With Wargame red Dragon Eugen has shown that they really lack knowledge in a lot of important areas.

Their balancing was absurd and very in favour of NATO wich really hurt RD in the beginning (they fixed that by now).

They got their priorities wrong wich they showed by making naval combat a thing and spending lots of time developing that. I´s broken, boring, unbalanced and nobody plays it.

They don´t have a matchmaking system for MP and because of that it is very hard to find good matches. Usually Lobbies fill up with an TS organised team on one side and a few randoms on the other. Pubstomping.

The AI is abysmally bad whitch completely takes the joy out of SP or COOP play.

If there last few games are any indication then AoA will just be the same

I agree with you on all accounts. All I do now in RD now is play "survival" skirmishes. Make a deck with most advanced units available and give AI deck with tons of crap. It is quite funny to watch two Leopard 2A5s take out whole platoons of T-64As and Motorstrelki as AI just sends in wave after wave. If they are getting overrun send in a La Fayette frigate or an airstrike to support them. In that case ships are quite nice but playing naval maps only is really lame.

Anyway, RD aside, AoW was great. It had problems, sure but I really enjoyed it at the time. There was no other game of that type with that quality. This is supposed to have two campaigns and if they are good I will be quite pleased in "age of lowest common denominator".

You do have to give them some credit. They made a lot of improvements to RD, even released three rather substantial free DLC. And they are the only team left that make this type of games. So they are trying.

Edited by Janez

I agree with you on all accounts. All I do now in RD now is play "survival" skirmishes. Make a deck with most advanced units available and give AI deck with tons of crap. It is quite funny to watch two Leopard 2A5s take out whole platoons of T-64As and Motorstrelki as AI just sends in wave after wave. If they are getting overrun send in a La Fayette frigate or an airstrike to support them. In that case ships are quite nice but playing naval maps only is really lame.

Anyway, RD aside, AoW was great. It had problems, sure but I really enjoyed it at the time. There was no other game of that type with that quality. This is supposed to have two campaigns and if they are good I will be quite pleased in "age of lowest common denominator".

You do have to give them some credit. They made a lot of improvements to RD, even released three rather substantial free DLC. And they are the only team left that make this type of games. So they are trying.

True, but they also frequently ignore community requests and issues so I really don´t know. I will take a look at it when they release it and watch out for the communities reaction but if this game has the same MP system and AI as RD then it´s a no-buy for me.

Don´t get me wrong RD can be incredibly fun in MP if you find a decent match with equals, however you´ll maybe find one decent match out of 8.

I hear you. I'm not pre-ordering or anything like that either but I will keep my eye on this and see what happens. Hopefully it will be a hit. We can expect to see something from them soon though. Now I think about it, there are few games coming out this spring that I am interested in. This, GTA V (duh), Witcher 3, Project CARS, maybe something else that I forgot.

Yeah, this year has the potential to be a lot better for gaming than the last one

And another one of my favorite Cold War developers goes the near-future route. :(

After not very interesting campaigns in Wargame series, I am quite excited about this.

Did you not play the main AirLand Battle campaign? That was one of the best campaigns I have ever played. Granted I played it cooperatively with my brother against the AI but I enjoyed the hell out of that. My dream game is pretty much a mixture of ArmA and that campaign. You being a grunt, squad leader, tank commander, pilot, etc. taking on missions that affect the grand scheme of the campaign across Europe... I can dream!

And another one of my favorite Cold War developers goes the near-future route. :(

Well, they were there before so they might come back to cold war too. :D

Did you not play the main AirLand Battle campaign? That was one of the best campaigns I have ever played. Granted I played it cooperatively with my brother against the AI but I enjoyed the hell out of that. My dream game is pretty much a mixture of ArmA and that campaign. You being a grunt, squad leader, tank commander, pilot, etc. taking on missions that affect the grand scheme of the campaign across Europe... I can dream!

I enjoyed first two parts but in last two they started giving you some ridiculously underpowered decks just for the sake of difficulty. Sure I could come up with some strategy but since I hate to loose #6 I kind of lost interest over time. Also am not a fan of time restrictions these campaigns have. However, I imagine coop would be a lot more fun, I may even try it one day.

Anyway, don't expect this to be next Wargame set in near future. It's like more realistic C&C Generals.

Edited by Janez

the air units look really floaty/as if they move in jelly... looks meh

Well, they were there before so they might come back to cold war too. :D

I enjoyed first two parts but in last two they started giving you some ridiculously underpowered decks just for the sake of difficulty. Sure I could come up with some strategy but since I hate to loose #6 I kind of lost interest over time. Also am not a fan of time restrictions these campaigns have. However, I imagine coop would be a lot more fun, I may even try it one day.

Anyway, don't expect this to be next Wargame set in near future. It's like more realistic C&C Generals.

I liked the underpowered decks. It seemed more realistic to me and made it more challenging. Not all units have 50 abrams in it. The time limit, which I am not normally a fan of, made it kind of nice too. You can't just sit back and let the enemy run into you. If you wanted new stuff you had to move and take it fairly quickly. It also provided you with some relief on the crappy unit decks or if you got your unit massacred. You just had to hold out for a little while instead of sitting there for 2 hours slowly gaining more points. You should definitely give coop a shot. It was a lot of fun.

I don't expect this to be the next Wargame. From the little I have seen of it so far I don't think I have any interest in it at all. I'm just here for the Wargame discussion :D

As far as I know the game bombed pretty hard du to a huge number of reasons. Them making a reboot might actually be the only way to sell additional copies of the game and keep the studio afloat.

I wish they went for the same approach with Red Dragon. That game was much less successful than it could have been because it was rushed out the door in an unfinished state and remains so until today (naval gameplay for example) and many Wargame fans haven´t been willing to support Eugen anymore after they simply left Red Dragon to work on AoA.

Some more info about upcoming changes and beta starts on Monday, March 21st.