Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

GPU now always on 100% (since 1.40?)

Hi, never had the problem before, but now my GPUs fan is going through the roof any time I play ArmA. GPU is always at 100% according to Sysinternals process explorer.

Has there been a change? I cannot see one on my side. Same settings as always...

My settings, it is happening with ArmA vanilla on a GTX570.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409819722

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409819347

FPS are decent, card could always handle those settings well, but now that perma 100% is annoying...

Anyone else experiencing this?

In the screenshots your FPS is over 90. That's enough to max the GTX 570.

I bet it'll be nowhere near 100% usage when you play an actual mission or MP.

Maybe you should limit the fps with vsync or some 3rd party software.

Make sure power management is set to "Adaptive" instead of "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVIDIA control panel.

Ah yes, capping fps is a good idea, never needed to do that in ArmA. Maybe this was the cause... I was under the impression it happens with weather calculations (wind/overcast as a cause), but absolutely not sure.

Frank thx, was already on adaptive in my A3 profile.

Edited by tortuosit

Try to do this in A3 profile:

-Activate vsync (I mean driver vsync, not in-game one)

-Set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 (will get rid of input lag)

-Enable triple buffering (not sure if it makes a difference but enable it for good measure)

Someone screen cap this so next time someone complains about optimization we can reference back to this.

@FrankHH, already had 3buf and 1 frame set. Have set driver level vsync now.

@FrankHH, already had 3buf and 1 frame set. Have set driver level vsync now.

Keep your eye on the fps from now on, because on my system it randomly dropped the framerate unnecessarily low on some situations. For example, with vsync I had 30-40 fps but disabling it the rate immediately climbed above 50. Never found the reason, so I just keep my fps limited to 55 with MSI Afterburner.

Keep your eye on the fps from now on, because on my system it randomly dropped the framerate unnecessarily low on some situations. For example, with vsync I had 30-40 fps but disabling it the rate immediately climbed above 50. Never found the reason, so I just keep my fps limited to 55 with MSI Afterburner.

The whole point of vsnyc is to synchronize the frames to the monitors refresh rate. If your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate (means 60 times per second) then frames will cap at 60 for 1:1 synchronization. In the event your system cannot maintain 60FPS, frame rate will drop to 30 for a 1:2 synchronization, switching back and forth depending on when and when it can't maintain 60. In this case it's probably best to leave it off as it gives a feel of increased stuttering in my experience. Having a game fluctuate naturally between 40-60+ feels a lot better than constant jumps from 30 to 60 and back to 30.

As for the OP, I wouldn't pay any mind. Simply put, on an empty map (or with very little going on) you are not CPU bottlenecked, so your GPU is able to work to it's full capacity. Spawn 50 AI on each side and have them meet up for a good firefight and I guarantee you'll see GPU usage drop significantly to illustrate the concept of switching from a GPU bottleneck to CPU bottleneck. Arma is one of those games that swings back and forth between GPU and CPU dependency as you move in and out of battles.

The whole point of vsnyc is to synchronize the frames to the monitors refresh rate. If your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate (means 60 times per second) then frames will cap at 60 for 1:1 synchronization. In the event your system cannot maintain 60FPS, frame rate will drop to 30 for a 1:2 synchronization, switching back and forth depending on when and when it can't maintain 60. In this case it's probably best to leave it off as it gives a feel of increased stuttering in my experience. Having a game fluctuate naturally between 40-60+ feels a lot better than constant jumps from 30 to 60 and back to 30.

The whole point of triple buffering though, is to resolve just that. Keep vsync while still not being locked to only 30 or 60 FPS. That's why I said to the OP to enable it.