Sign in to follow this  
megagoth1702

Question to all - what volume do you play at?

What's your ingame volume setting when playing with others on VOIP/TS?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What's your ingame volume setting when playing with others on VOIP/TS?

• 100-80%
    • 80-60%
    • 60-40%
    • 40-20%
    • 20-0%

All sounds set to 50 % ingame, and Arma itself runs at 75% at the Windows Sound settings.

I love bluerays, and I love your mod!

I have a question though, is there any way for you to make the config standalone, so that when using other sound mods like JSRS, it's possible to use your mix? I've allways been annoyed at the levels in ARMA III, and I think this is something the devs needs to be aware of.

Would you mind creating a ticket for this on the feedback tracker?

If I make a vanilla config modders still will have to take over the values into THEIR configs. Configs rule over the sound scape.

Ok ok, sorry it took me so long. Lol, only tested this yesterday. The proper volume for Arma 3 requires your Computer (system) volume to max. In game Arma 3 Volume is then put to Just above a Quarter of the Effects Bar. That's it. Everything else is just audio perception, I turn down VON to how loud a Radio would be when I need to to be audible. Other than that, for me, that's the ideal volume, to where I can hear everything distinctly, loud, but not over done. I like turning my volume up to where everything sounds as it does IRL, make sure my footsteps in Arma match my footstep IRL, and that does it for me.

Ok ok, sorry it took me so long. Lol, only tested this yesterday. The proper volume for Arma 3 requires your Computer (system) volume to max. In game Arma 3 Volume is then put to Just above a Quarter of the Effects Bar. That's it. Everything else is just audio perception, I turn down VON to how loud a Radio would be when I need to to be audible. Other than that, for me, that's the ideal volume, to where I can hear everything distinctly, loud, but not over done. I like turning my volume up to where everything sounds as it does IRL, make sure my footsteps in Arma match my footstep IRL, and that does it for me.

Thanks for your values. 1/4th is between 20-40%, if you haven't already, please make that choice on the poll. :)

It's nice to know how you set up your sounds. But please don't over-generalize with stuff like "The proper volume requires your volume to[...]. That's it. Everything else is just audio perception[...]"

There is so much more to it. What if someone uses a speaker audio system with a volume knob? That way he can have a really quiet session even if windows and arma3 are blasting out at 100%. Different kinds of headphones need different amounts of electical juice to produce sounds at a certain volume. Also there are dull, bright, balanced sound systems which all sound different.

No offense meant here - but it's better to be careful with these kinds of general statements if you don't have proper research to back it up. :) Again - no offense, just a tip. :)

Thanks for your values. 1/4th is between 20-40%, if you haven't already, please make that choice on the poll. :)

It's nice to know how you set up your sounds. But please don't over-generalize with stuff like "The proper volume requires your volume to[...]. That's it. Everything else is just audio perception[...]"

There is so much more to it. What if someone uses a speaker audio system with a volume knob? That way he can have a really quiet session even if windows and arma3 are blasting out at 100%. Different kinds of headphones need different amounts of electical juice to produce sounds at a certain volume. Also there are dull, bright, balanced sound systems which all sound different.

No offense meant here - but it's better to be careful with these kinds of general statements if you don't have proper research to back it up. :) Again - no offense, just a tip. :)

ahhhh, i see. Good points here, i didn't quite think of it that way.

30-40% if I'm playing as infantry.

5% if I'm flying a helo.

It's not realistic (in real life guns are LOUD, soldiers go deaf, and earplugs are a real thing :D ) but if I wanted realism, I'd have joined the army :D

Dropping the in-game volume is the simplest fix for the problem of wanting to enjoy flying a helo and still be able to hear your squad lead tell you where he wants the fireteam dropped off at.

It'd be nice if you could turn down engine noises selectively, but meh. First world problems...

just to let people know, the kind admins at EUTW have added this to their teetimes servers. My ears aren't tired after 30 minutes play any more, thank you Megagoth

just to let people know, the kind admins at EUTW have added this to their teetimes servers. My ears aren't tired after 30 minutes play any more, thank you Megagoth

What exactly? My mod? This poll? This thread? lol oô I am confused.

they have added the sig key to the server.

I hope this is OK, it was me that asked for it to be added, i'll ask for them to remove it if you want me to.

Suggests something is wrong with the basic volume of the sounds in the game if almost everyone is turning it so far down. In most other games players manage sound globally, but for this one game it completely drowns out everything and you need to turn it way way down. It proves there is a problem with the sound design.

No, it does not necessarily have to be the basic volume of sounds. It can be a masking prolem in combination with poor TS audio quality (bad mics and noise floor, bad TS EQ making voices muffled, lot of echo in user's room leaking into the mic...).

In order to have reliable voice readability in the game, you have to have a limited dynamic range (both for the game and chat audio) to have a predictable loudness to work with and a lot of EQ involved so that the game sounds don't mask the main frequency band of human voice frequency spectrum.

In real life, in combat, there is so much masking and noise occurring that it is often impossible to hear properly what the radio or the squad-mate is saying. That means that clear readability of sounds in such situations is an unnatural feature requiring unnatural audio processing (and yes, this is the sound-design problem we might be talking about).

It is a very complex mixing task and TS audio limitations don't help it at all.

Edited by Bouben
grammar, spelling and stuff

for me usually around 50% as i used speaker for in game sound

and for the VOIP used headphone+detach mic