Sign in to follow this  
total

The Stamina/Fatigue system needs to be fixed now!

I've had a Arma 3 break, and now I've finally got time to play again. The first thing I noticed was that my character wasn't able to run a few hundred meters before he stopped completely because of he was exhausted. Even in downhill, everything goes extremely slowly.

This is highly trained soldiers and they manage to push themselves hard, not halt. Even I with full equipment manages to jog 10x longer than what the characters in Arma 3 does. So, Bohemia Interactive, please tell me why you have made it worse than it was before. Many of those I played with before, stopped playing Arma 3 because of this. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

I've never encountered a complete inability to move due to fatigue in Arma 3. Could you specify what gear did you carry?

I only play missions with fatigue disabled.

Fatigue in the way it is does not represent in any way the tiredness from exhaustion and does not contribute for a enjoyable gameplay, it just turns the gameplay in to slow motion mode. I like slow motion videos, I dont like a slow motion game.

Stamina is fine.

Don't load up your character with 100 lb of gear and expect to be able to sprint 100 miles.

This is the only game that I know with proper stamina system. Learn how it works and adapt to it.

I like slow motion videos, I dont like a slow motion game.

Not a fan of the Max Payne series, then?

It's a game representing real life combat, not a 1:1 simulation of real life. No one in their right mind is going to walk in-game for an hour in order to get to the battlefield, or run for 20 minutes chasing enemy forces, and only then expect to feel their character getting tired. It's an approximation that represents soldiers being winded in combat, and honestly to me, feels like it's a in very good place right now, after lots of tweaking and changes by the devs.

First, this is a game.

Second, stamina is not fine and fatigue is not fine.

Stamina is short and is not set accordingly the weight of loadout and fatigue recovery is too long. It is a big annoyance and for the people who may wonder why RPG game modes have so many players and military game modes are gone, it is exactly because reasons like this one.

Want realism? Then add fatigue effect to every player action including, movement, weapon swap, healing, pulling sights or aiming, firing rate for single shot, driving vehicles, etc.

Want more realism? Then add suppression effect.

It's funny, when people claim for realism seems to forget that we do not have a slight suppression effect when the enemy is firing at our position.

This is a game therefore to keep it enjoyable some balance needs to be found, turning it in to slow motion just because is not the solution. Besides, whats the point of fatigue? Most missions have the option for having it disabled and in fact players prefer to have it disabled.

In my opinion a balanced set between, stamina, fatigue and suppression effect would make the game much more immersive and enjoyable.

My Equipment:

1x Rifle

2x First Aid Kit

5x 40mm HE Grenade (230Grams each)

1x Map

1x GPS

1x Radio

1x Compass

1x Watch

3x Chemlight

2x RGO Grenades

With this I can run 300 meters and then be forced to go slowly. This is not much equipment and the character should be able to run at least twice as far. This "Top trained" character puff and blow like a guy with COPD after a few hundred meters.

I think this just looks stupid. I suggest you try to fill up a sack you barely manage to raise and try to see how far you can run. I will promise you that you're able to run longer than characters in Arma 3.

Edited by Total

I don't think your'e actually reading anyone's posts.

To summarize, not a 1:1 translation of life, a game, fun, etc.

You're doing something wrong.

I just loaded up the exact loadout you described, and ran for 1300m before I fatigued fully and was forced to walk.

And I guarantee that you won't be able to run longer than the characters can, at least at that speed. Are you aware that the job speed for the soldiers is 14kmh? That's quite fast, a brisk jog.

My tips for you:

1. always lower your weapon (2x LCtrl). Running without lowering your weapon significantly increases fatigue

2. Stop and rest every once and awhile -- the stamina regen is very fast while crouched, and even faster while prone. You can even just use W+S to walk for a bit and let your stamina regen.

3. Carry even less. 5 HE grenades is a lot. You didn't list how many magazines you are carrying but it adds up fast. It also really really matters what vest you wear -- the Carrier GL Rig for example is, while armored, extremely cumbersome and will fatigue you very quickly.

4. Never ever Sprint (shift), it is reserved only to be used in emergencies to get to cover or cross a lane of fire. Only use it when you can be sure you'll have several seconds to stop and rest afterwards

5. If you've given up, you can always use

player enableFatigue false;

to disable stamina. This is cheating.

I'll leave you with

, a video that shows how the fatigue is actually realistic.

In fact, since this video, they nerfed the fatigue a bunch because all the A3L kids complained about it. So it's actually already unrealistic in that there isn't enough fatigue.

I'm actually really very tired of hearing people complain about this. The game now has realistic fatigue and you can no longer run around like it's CoD or Battlefield. Either suck it up and learn how to play, or don't play the game. But it's not changing anytime soon. Please stop spamming the forums with thread after thread complaining about it.

Oops, the_Demongod has outrun me. I guess I have to throw out a couple of MAAWS rounds from my backpack. :P

With this I can run 300 meters and then be forced to go slowly. This is not much equipment and the character should be able to run at least twice as far. This "Top trained" character puff and blow like a guy with COPD after a few hundred meters.
That's indeed not really much and it's kinda strange, I've never had a "full-stop" with more heavier equipment.

Considering running — as folks pointed out on previous page, you actually can run for 600 meters (and even more) with that gear pretty easily but you cant sprint (i.e. run with maximum speed) for that long. I'm not an expert but a 300-meters dash on the edge of average soldier's physical limits is a pretty good result, don't you think so?

The way I understand current fatigue system, sprinting should be used to escape danger in critical situation like running to cover, not for traversing through an entire city. If player want to get somewhere fast, he should use a transport or arm himself with patience and use regular run. That approach seems quite logical to me.

Edited by Semiconductor

My Equipment:

1x Rifle

2x First Aid Kit

5x 40mm HE Grenade (230Grams each)

1x Map

1x GPS

1x Radio

1x Compass

1x Watch

3x Chemlight

2x RGO Grenades

I think this just looks stupid. I suggest you try to fill up a sack you barely manage to raise and try to see how far you can run. I will promise you that you're able to run longer than characters in Arma 3.

Noice loadout, I doubt this was your real loadout, when you run out of them 5 40 mm nades, you then throw that gun away or are you gonna use your gun as an ornament?

Plenty of servers for noobs with no stamina. That not in a mean way.. Just ment You can stay off hardcore tactical servers.

The beauty of the stamina/fatigue system is that there is now a very real difference between light infantry and heavy infantry. Pick the latter and you won't be able to keep up with the former.

If you're having trouble with stamina then play around in the Virtual Arsenal from the main menu to configure your loadouts; the game gives you real time information on how fast you are moving - your weight - your stamina levels. Every little bit of information you would need to make an appropriate loadout.

Use your brain and figure it out.

Just for the sake of realism, players should not be allowed to configure loadouts, either with VA or VAS.

Does not make sense to have hardcore servers intended for professional soldiers with stamina/fatigue (and all realistic stuff) enabled and at same time having a nice VA (or VAS) full of shiny gear for everyone to chose as they please.

Loadouts should be given by default accordingly to role and mission.

That's realism.

Just for the sake of realism, players should not be allowed to configure loadouts, either with VA or VAS.

Does not make sense to have hardcore servers intended for professional soldiers with stamina/fatigue (and all realistic stuff) enabled and at same time having a nice VA (or VAS) full of shiny gear for everyone to chose as they please.

That's realism.

I doubt you will find anyone arguing that point either. I know that in my missions (built around tactical and teamwork based gameplay) I have paid a very very high level of attention to just exactly what my individual loadouts are right down to careful selection of optics and number of magazines.

And how do I do this? I use the Virtual Arsenal under the Learn section in the main menu because it does what I mentioned in my previous post.

My Equipment:

With this I can run 300 meters and then be forced to go slowly. This is not much equipment and the character should be able to run at least twice as far.

You didn't say how many magazines you were carrying. Also, are you jogging or sprinting?

That's realism.

I doubt you will find anyone arguing that point either.

I'll argue the point. Being able to pick your own equipment doesn't affect the realism of Arma 3's gameplay or the fatigue system.

Either way, I find it amusing that this thread has people arguing that the fatigue system should be toned down because it's not realistic enough and that it should be toned down because it's too realistic.

Edited by roshnak

(Another shameless plug)

This helped me understand the fatigue:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=9w6632gT

Copy & paste to editor console.

It's displays your fatigue, gear weight, speed, the increase/decrease of the fatigue, time & distance travelled, the angle of the surface, etc.

Includes virtual arsenal, teleporting and ability to set your fatigue to a certain fixed level.

Also, here's a good discussion about the feature: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168240-Fatigue-Feedback-%28dev-branch%29

Only small increase in the stamina could be a thing. And I mean small. It's fine and I rarely even hit it if I'm geared right and the mission isn't designed as one man army mission.

Mission makers can disable it.

It's fine system.

The first thing I noticed was that my character wasn't able to run a few hundred meters before he stopped completely because of he was exhausted.

Welcome back men, to a game where running everywhere is not an option and where weight matters ^^

To be honest I'm not sure if this change encourage behavior but I tend to see lot more people on I&A

having weapon down and jogging, which is pleasing.

I know this is a game, but they try to get it as close to reality as they manage? I miss the opportunity to push my character to jog further when he is out of stamina.

I have misinterpreted the system. Sprinting in 14 km/h feels like jogging in 7 km/h.

I think sprinting should get a little more dramatic shake effect and give the player a real feeling that you are sprinting in 14 km/h, but it's probably just me ;)

And I agree that no one can bear full sprinting several miles without an extremely high level of adrenaline. So I apologize for making this thread so aggressive.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

...and everyone can manage to run down a steep hill even if they are exhausted, in real life. But not in Arma.