Sign in to follow this  
zorrobyte

Mod Database app *feedback needed*

Greetings!

I'm currently building a Mod Database app and I'd like to collect feedback as to the attributes that I am assigning to each mod. So far I have:

• Category
  • Tags
  • Requirements (Tags)
  • Author
  • Images 1/2/3
  • Featured Image
  • Youtube Link
  • Version
  • License
  • License URL
  • Code Repo URL (Bitbucket/Github/Other)
  • Mod Website
  • Overview
  • Features
  • Changelog
  • Credits
  • Excerpt
  • BIS Forum Link

Any missing or not needed/redundant?

Second question, should I allow anyone to add to the database any mod/mission or should only the author be able to?

Edited by zorrobyte

I think only the author should do so.

Additional:

"Known conflicts"

"Other forum" link (since some people only post on Armaholic, for example. Some post on both). Maybe just make the entry "Forum links"?

"Download links"

I think only the author should do so.

Additional:

"Known conflicts"

"Other forum" link (since some people only post on Armaholic, for example. Some post on both). Maybe just make the entry "Forum links"?

"Download links"

Thanks! I've added the known conflicts as a single line text box. I'll need to think about how to add in other forum links in a way that doesn't clutter the interface. Download links is nice, I'll need to get with the Six team to see if they have special URLs to auto launch their client.

NP. "Version" should include the release date as well as the number; with the trend for game updates to break many addons/mods the user needs to be wary of mods that are many months old.

In that context, might also be useful to add "Currently maintained?" [Y/N] since quite a few modders have given up / are giving up. Probably need someone else to have access to the item in such cases.

What an amazing coincidence! Just yesterday I put together this little script to compare mod versions from the internet. Was getting scared I'd have to set up my own or something.

As you'd guess version is good enough for me, but can the author also be author(s)?

EDIT: Oh for the more "technical" crowd you could also add two sections as the CfgPatches entry name, and the OPFEC tag they're using.

Oh for the more "technical" crowd you could also add two sections as the CfgPatches entry name, and the OPFEC tag they're using.

^this.

Great idea Zorro

Thank you for the excellent feedback so far! I don't want to overwhelm those who submit their mods into the app with tons of options that they may know little about. I suppose what I could do is group together a "Developer info(Advanced)" section that can be enabled with a Radiobox to enable these additional fields. On the front end I can group this content into an accordion that is collapsed by default. The cool thing is, my search feature can find all of this info - for example if one wanted to see all Alive missions, simply tap the ALiVE tag to display all submitted ALiVE missions.

Unsupported mods is an important factor to take into consideration. I suppose the best way to handle issues is to crowdsource by putting a "Report a problem" button on each mod so the community can help maintain. Authors who go AWOL can have their submissions handed to an internal account for updates to be handled by the community and me.

*EDIT*

Better yet, I'll have Known Conflicts to be yet another Tag category so users can tap on a mod to see all known conflicts

Edited by zorrobyte

Looks OK but I don't see a "Download" icon.

I heavily doubt that's the point of this system.

Looks OK but I don't see a "Download" icon.

That's top secret until release.. Let's just say the more that download concurrently, the faster the download speed. ;)

Hopefully I can entice some by offering a JSON REST API to the platform? Lots of work to do and only 24 hours in a day. We will see the end result.

I heavily doubt that's the point of this system.

My bad, I should have typed "Download links" - see posts2 & 3.

Laying out submission design: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mv7b6yecjmy198/2015-03-14%2019.44.29.jpg?dl=0

Do I have enough information yet?

You never have enough information, that's the history of mankind!

Really though, you have more than enough.

My bad, I should have typed "Download links" - see posts2 & 3.

Also my bad, shouldn't have jumped on it immediately.

No worries :)

Looking good, Z. BTW when you say "app", on what device(s) will it run?

No worries :)

Looking good, Z. BTW when you say "app", on what device(s) will it run?

Anything that has internet access :yay:

In fact, I just tested Mod uploads up to 2Gig and it works perfectly from the frontend. I still have much more work to do however I need to get some feedback as to the submission process. If interested Skype ross.fisher91 or PM me on forums :) I will pay in COOKIES!

Oh.. and I just moved to another dedicated server for unlimited bandwidth, I'm kinda serious about this project :)

Edited by zorrobyte

I can help test the submissions although I'd be submitting someone else's mod :p Msg me on Skype if so

You know, I'm thinking since I have a "Report a problem" on each listing - I may allow anyone to upload other mods. I hear many authors are leaving and cannot be asked to upload.

That way the community can help build a database and if incorrect information is shown - anyone can submit report to change. Of course, I moderate and approve all listings and can always reassign ownership of an item for direct editing/resubmission.

I'm going to go ahead and link the site http://arma.modrepo.com

It's still very much WIP and there is a feedback form after submitting. I'm still very much at work on building listing pages and views so please keep in mind. However, getting initial submissions will greatly help me structure the frontend and adapt to how the community wishes to use the site.

This is on a 32GB Ram, 2x 3TB HDD server with a 1Gb/s port and unlimited bandwidth with decentralized CDN. Downloads should be blazing fast and max mod upload is 2GB.

In other news, I just had an interview for the company who built the platform I'm using to power the site, so we can expect quality to improve as time progresses.

Edited by zorrobyte

Well done mate :)

However, some authors have a "do not redistribute without permission" or just "do not redistribute". Letting anyone upload mods could earn you a lot of flak.

Best wishes for the interview outcome.

Well done mate :)

However, some authors have a "do not redistribute without permission" or just "do not redistribute". Letting anyone upload mods could earn you a lot of flak.

Best wishes for the interview outcome.

Either I'm still wrong, or people don't understand that this service will not host the mod files itself. Also he said he'll be moderating each submission, I doubt that would happen since there is even a licence section.

Either I'm still wrong, or people don't understand that this service will not host the mod files itself. Also he said he'll be moderating each submission, I doubt that would happen since there is even a licence section.

You're still wrong :)

Look at the name of the site - it looks like it will be a repository, not an info site. And in an earlier post, zorrobyte wrote "I just tested Mod uploads up to 2Gig and it works perfectly from the frontend" (my emphasis on "uploads")

If all people would be uploading was links, licence details, & other essentially text stuff, hardly likely to be 2 GB is it? Or to need a 1GBps port...

As to moderating each submission, that could be a lot of work.