voiper

Little Immersion Tweaks - Spice Up Arma 3's Night Life

TAZdz3i.png

Little Immersion Tweaks

Spice Up Arma 3's Night Life

Description:

Boost your mission's immersion and realism with these map- and NVG-improving scripts. Great for spec ops, night, or milsim missions.

See it in action:

Features:

-Not an addon. Scripts! Very easy to add to your mission.

-Map brightness is affected by weather, sunlight, chemlights.

-Usable flashlight on map.

-NVG is usable while viewing map.

-Remove unrealistic features like toggleable map textures and the "where am I?" button.

-Add noise and max viewdistance to NVG.

-Modular: use only the features you want.

-No addons needed.

Note:

I'm aware that some of these features are (or will be) in certain addons. The purpose of these scripts is for mission makers to implement similar features without addons.

Help me help you: Not all user-made maps have "mapSize" defined in their config. If you find a map that the flashlight does not work on, let me know, and I will include a support fix for it in a future update.

Installation Instructions:

1. Place the "vip_cmn" and "vip_lit" folders in the ROOT of your mission folder. If "vip_cmn" already exists, use whichever folder is the latest version.

2. In the mission's Description.ext, add (or insert, if the classes already exist):

class CfgFunctions {

#include "vip_cmn\fn\vip_cmn_fnc.hpp"
#include "vip_lit\fn\vip_lit_fnc.hpp"
};

class CfgSounds {

#include "vip_lit\resource\vip_lit_cfgSounds.hpp"
};

3. If using the flashlight feature, drag the "flashlight.paa" (red or white) you want from "/flashlight/white" or "/flashlight/red" into "/vip_lit/resource".

4. In init.sqf add the line:

[] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

You can leave the input array blank for the default values, or customise your usage:

0: Bool; whether to leave these scripts on after player dies; default false.
1: Map Subtractions Array (leave empty to disable):
	0: Bool; whether to remove "Show player on map" button; default true.
	1: Bool; whether to remove and disable map textures; default true.
	2: Bool; whether to remove cursor grid ref; default true.
	3: Bool; whether to use alternative cursor type; default true.
2: Map Additions Array (leave empty to disable): 
	0: Scalar: flashlight size to use (0 = normal, 1 = large); default 0.
	1: Bool: whether to enable NVG on map; default true.
	2: Bool: whether player starts with flashlight item; default true.
3: NVG Array (leave empty to disable):
	0: Array (leave empty to disable):
		0: Scalar; max viewdistance of NVG; default 1000.
	1: Bool; whether to enable NVG grain; default true.
	2: Bool; whether to turn off NVG when using non-collimator optics; default true.

Examples:

Remove on respawn, enable Map Subtractions, and nothing else:

[false, [true, true, true, true], [], []] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

Don't remove on respawn, no Map Subtractions, no Map Additions, NVG grain and optics only:

[true, [], [], [[], true, true]] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

5. Done!

Compatibility:

Compatible with:

-CSE

-AGM

Not compatible with:

-ShackTac Map Brightness

Changelog:

-v1.1:

-changed: added option for red flashlight

-changed: added option for larger flashlight size

-fixed: flashlight would not work on VR map (BIS did not define "mapSize" in VR's config)

v1.2:

-changed: chemlights illuminate map

-changed: tweaked moon brightness

-fixed: flashlight now supports non-round UI scales (no more black/white lines)

v1.21:

-fixed: added support for SMD Sahrani; Takistan, Chernarus, Utes (A3MapPack versions)

-changed: removing map cursor grid is now optional

-changed: NVG can be used on map (optional)

-changed: flashlight key is F, map NVG key is N, regardless of player's bindings

v1.3:

-fixed: issue where map light position was not updating

-changed: added alternate map cursor (optional)

-changed: added option to disable looking down most optics with NVG on

-changed: map light requires "acc_flashlight" to be in player's inventory or on weapon

-changed: map light and map NVG key can be rebound in notes; once rebound, they're saved in profile for future sessions

-changed: map light now affected by streetlamps, headlights, flashlights, pitfires, water depth

-changed: rain drops make noise on map

-changed: reorganised init scripts

Download

v1.3

Edited by voiper
  • Like 6

If you have NV goggles enabled, will you also view the map with NV?

Looks really cool, especially since our community likes to play pitch-black missions with no NV goggles. We might test this.

Thanks for posting!

That looks awesome, its been a wanted feature for a long time so nice to see someone has finally done it :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Looks useful, thank you.

Heh, I've been wondering where the map settings were 'hidden', now I know. I hate the miniscule font (~1.5mm high on 1920 x 1200 24" monitor) used for the edge-of-the-map grid numbering, maybe now I can find a way to change it.

Thanks for that too :)

Wow, the flashlight on map is awesome! And it's really great that this feature can be build into specific mission.

Thank you for releasing this! :)

Wow, the flashlight on map is awesome! And it's really great that this feature can be build into specific mission.

Thank you for releasing this! :)

Couldn't agree more, i've already implemented it into several missions ie: Becti Warfare. Thx Viperidae. ;)

Amazing, however, realistically speaking, how easy is it to modify the size and brightness of the flashlight? Simulating that you're holding the flashlight more above the map, which increases the illuminated area but decreases brightness?

Assuming, you're okay with modifying the script file for that. I'd probably be able to find out how difficult it is to modify that part of the script myself, but figured i'd ask ;)

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Or make it even more awesome, maybe you could make the flashlight toggle act like some of the fancier flashlights:

Some have a on - off - on twice as bright - off switch

Some are on wide but weak - off - on narrow but powerful - off

etc

I can't seem to get the flashlight to work, I move the two vip folders into a test mission folder and I copy the Functions and Sounds code into the Description.ext and the init code into the init.sqf, I then save the mission and preview with the time set to midnight, the map is black as it should be and when i press the flashlight key i do get the clicking sound but no light. :confused:

If you have NV goggles enabled, will you also view the map with NV?

No. AFAIK (never used them myself) NV goggles are really awkward and it would be pretty difficult reading a map with them on.

Amazing, however, realistically speaking, how easy is it to modify the size and brightness of the flashlight? Simulating that you're holding the flashlight more above the map, which increases the illuminated area but decreases brightness?

Assuming, you're okay with modifying the script file for that. I'd probably be able to find out how difficult it is to modify that part of the script myself, but figured i'd ask ;)

You're free to modify it for your mission, no problem.

I've considered making it act differently depending on the zoom factor. It would just need to scale based on the map control's zoom level. Maybe in an update. :)

I can't seem to get the flashlight to work, I move the two vip folders into a test mission folder and I copy the Functions and Sounds code into the Description.ext and the init code into the init.sqf, I then save the mission and preview with the time set to midnight, the map is black as it should be and when i press the flashlight key i do get the clicking sound but no light. :confused:

Are you using your "Next Weapon" key? What is it bound to? Are you running any mods?

Edited by Viperidae

Looks awesome, definitely going to try this in my next mission.

One thing that I would love to see with the map flashlight though is a red light rather than bright white. I have a feeling at night in the field infantry would prefer the much harder to see at a distance red filtered light if they could for reading that map, it would REALLY up the immersion factor if this were possible!

This is seriously cool! With this and your mines mod, well ... if there was a 'Modder to watch 2015' competition you be right up there! ;)

Are you using your "Next Weapon" key? What is it bound to? Are you running any mods?

Next Weapon key is default F, no mods. I also tried pasting the init.sqf code into the unit's init box in the editor and it gave me a "type script, expected nothing" error. Dumb question but do i need to paste any of the optional lines into the code?

Next Weapon key is default F, no mods. I also tried pasting the init.sqf code into the unit's init box in the editor and it gave me a "type script, expected nothing" error. Dumb question but do i need to paste any of the optional lines into the code?

If you're putting it in a unit's init, you'll need to assign a variable. So, write something like:

0 = [] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

If that doesn't work, try this demo mission, and let me know if it works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay4jhw8yd9z7jz3/vip_lit.Stratis.pbo?dl=0

it was the VR map. i didn't think to test it on a different terrain. both the original code and the demo work on maps that are not VR. Thank you for the help.

I was wondering cause im in a realistic arma 3 group and we were all wondering if it is possible to change the flashlights color? Cause we would like to change it to red.:yay:

Neat! Always hated the full bright map. Thanks a lot, really adds to immersion.

Cool stuff! I agree with Electricleash, one to keep an eye on. Keep it up!

You earn the rare and much coveted dancing banana :yay:

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!