Sign in to follow this  
Capjerahya

remove shaded side

Hi, sorry for bothering once again. I already spent hours trying to get some of my models right but one thing that I notice with all my models are the have uneven shaded part. Like in this image.

foMPLTh.jpg

Both are of the same model and texture, but other polygon is shaded dark while other side is in normal shade. I want it to stay uniform and light like the unshaded part but can't figure out how. I already set the light property to both side, zbias none(don't know what this does, and also set it to half lighten. Model shadow disabled, but model shading stays the same. It only does that with my model anyone has an idea why it does that?

Thanks!

I don't think there's much you can do about it.OFP's lighting system is per vertex I think.

So it could be just a product of it's inaccuracy.

Have you tried setting all edges to sharp?Or triangulating the faces?

On the other hand,if the faces are pointing away from the sun you would expect them to be shaded.The only way to make both sides the same,regardless of lighting conditions,is to set them to "shining".Of course it doesn't make them shine.It simply makes the faces shadeless.

Edited by Maczer

Strange, when I tried to set the edges to sharp, save and reload the model all setting were reset. I then adjust the lighting without the texture to make sure polygons are rendered plain in buldozer then put it back to my original settings. This time it worked fine. :3

Thanks for the help mac. Cheers!

It reminds me on UWAR grass which also has different sides of different colors. Be sure to make a good LOD on your grass model, OFP does not handle large amounts of grass very well. I never managed to fully cover a larger island with grass and get acceptable performance, only parts of it or had to add it manually in the missions (those taking place on smaller locations at that).

And yes, OFP lighting is rather basic. You have one main light source which is the Sun which is basically a pre-determined flare in the sky that illuminates the whole place during day time (all objects cast shadows only according to Sun position) and during night time you have street flares which illuminate parts of towns, villages, roads, etc. Night time in OFP looks very grainy and colourless but if you use DXDLL you have the option for 'night shader override' which gives the night time a better, clearer look. Although I like the way different hours of day produce different looks. OFP in dawn and dusk time still looks pretty to me with it's reddish vibe.

Edited by noob1

Yeah.Dusk or very early morning tends to look best,because of the good contrast between

light and shadow.

You can try putting smaller values into each subsequent lod.Something like 0.0,0.2,0.3 etc.

That should have the effect of stepping down through them more quickly.Obviously it won't

look as dense at a distance.But it should be a decent trade-off.

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much spend a hours optimizing my models to suit OFP engine. Grass renders depending on user settings. Got my models set to 0.5, 0.75, 1.150, 1.75, and 2.0 which is no model to render to limit render distance and it works fine on a very old netbook of mine. But renders to far on my PC when I got all settings to maximum.