Sign in to follow this  
d3nn16

Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?

Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?

One reason I switched back to the Normal FM. The Advanced FM is nice but the constant collective raise and lowering and the tendency to drop suddenly finally turned me off on it. I mean it's cool and all but really needs some more work before I feel comfortable again with it. I know I've said that it was pretty cool but I've ridden in a variety of helicopters and while no, I never piloted one, I never felt or experienced anything that the AFM currently gives us.

sudden fall you mean Vortex ring state?

I quite like the AFM, it allows me to kind of go fast and furious. I've been ducking in and out of valleys, banking and rolling at ~200kph like an airplane and I love it. Something I haven't been able to do with normal FM.

I use it exclusively and won't fly without it (SP and MP), but I have hotas, pedals, and Track IR peripherals so it's possible I do it to justify those purchases. :)

i enjoy the extra challenge practice enough and your just as good as those who don't use it

Not really where I want to ask this, but as new users aren't allowed to create new threads for some silly reason I suppose I'll throw it on here. Maybe someone's encountered this problem before.

Using the regular flight model I have no issues with my joystick. Everything works just fine and I've no trouble at all flying any of the choppers. My throttle is a z-axis integrated into the joystick that goes from 100 to -100 as I raise it. No idea why it starts at 100 and goes down as I bring it up, but whatever.. it's always worked fine in any game I've played (including Arma 3). Without changing anything else, the second I change to the advanced model my throttle goes all wonky. Sometimes it seems like it's either completely on or completely off, depending on whether it's above or below 50%. Needless to say, flying a helicopter like that is impossible. Other times it seems to get "stuck", it'll go up to something like 50% and just stick there no matter what I do with the throttle. On other occasions I've even had my throttle sitting at zero.. started up the engine.. and had my helicopter take off as though I was around 50% throttle... and just keep going up and up. Finally, there are also times when it seems to respond super sluggishly. I'll raise the throttle and the game won't acknowledge that I did so for 5 seconds or so, and the same with lowering it.

The last thing I've noticed is that under the regular flight model when I enter a helicopter and raise the throttle a little bit it automatically starts up the engine. Under the advanced model I have to manually open the menu up, scroll to start engine, and press space to get the rotors to rev up. I can't fathom why this is.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on? I'd really like to give this advanced model a whirl, but everything is just impossible to fly when the throttle just has a mind of its own like this.

I got way burned out with TKoH using just keyboard and mouse. I mastered it then, on expert difficulty with no auto trim control, but it made a permanent crease in my brain. If I had a controller, I'd like the AFM, but it's too much of a pain in the arse for me now, unless I'm alone in editor. Landing with the AFM is a real bitch.

Anyone want a REAL challenge with KB + mouse? Try flying the Hinds in the TKoH DLC on expert difficulty. Holy Sh-------t! :eek:

Edited by OMAC

The more Adversarial game modes I play the more I feel AFM should be forced and should replace the standard flight model.

Helo flying is far too easy without AFM.

When I want to play a helicopter mission, I use AFM. For example the helicopters showcase is far more enjoyable with the AFM, and is simply stupidly easy without. But if I want to record a helicopter insertion with unitCapture/unitPlay for a mission in the editor, SFM all the way. I've never been able to get good enough to fly the AFM all the time so when doing generic stuff it's great to have the easier option.

I really like the advanced flight model. Had a lot of fun flying in TKoH, and was a little disappointed when it was initially announced that the AFM wouldn't make it into ArmA3. I'm so glad to see it here now.

I find the analogue collective way to sensitive without the AFM active, with the AFM, the controls feel more solid to me. I can actually maintain level flight.

@OMAC: Jeez! I found the Hinds utterly terrifying to fly with a Hotas, I can't imagine KB and mouse. I had to apply 3 lots of manual trim just to stop the buggers rolling over on take off! I salute your courage. :)