Sign in to follow this  
d3nn16

Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?

Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Advanced Flight Model?

Hello,

I am creating this poll because in the PvP mission I created many players don't seem to know how to use the Advanced Flight Model. Now I would like to know if whether I should enable it or not in my mission, so this will depend on the answers you give me.

Pool options:

A) No - I usually fly with helicopters a lot but the Advanced Flight Model is too much for me, I enjoy the game more without it

B) I don't know - I don't usually fly with helicopters and they don't interest me much, for me it's the same whether it is enabled or not

C) Yes - I usually fly with helicopters a lot and I prefer the Advanced Flight Model over the simple model, I enjoy the game more with it

Thanks in advance for your feedback

The AFM can be a very very good way to balance the power of helicopters in your PvP mission. I'm far more of a hardcore style player however and if your mission is intended for public consumption you may find the AFM driving players away for the same reason that fatigue; no thermals; no silencers; which is that players on pub servers generally just want an easy game mode.

I enjoy the AFM in singleplayer missions or just alone in the editor. But on multiplayer not really, because many players can't handle it.

I really like it, but it's damn near impossible (for me) without a joystick setup, so I usually have to have it off sadly.

The AFM can be a very very good way to balance the power of helicopters in your PvP mission. I'm far more of a hardcore style player however and if your mission is intended for public consumption you may find the AFM driving players away for the same reason that fatigue; no thermals; no silencers; which is that players on pub servers generally just want an easy game mode.

Yes for that very reason I wish it was forced and that AFM replaced not supplemented the existing flight model.

Yes for that very reason I wish it was forced and that AFM replaced not supplemented the existing flight model.

Agreed. Currently in public servers the AFM might as well not exist. With some servers going as far as to ban it for competitive play, or to try and ensure no one crashes.

I play with AFM without any HUD gauges and with a keyboard. It took some practice but now I feel pretty confident flying with AFM

Yes I love it.

First: You can taxi.

Second: You are quicker with flying then standard

Third: It's challenging

fourth: I talked with guy that has flown with keyboard and mouse, and he did it really well!

Mouse and keyboard user, and I love it. So much more fun and challenging than the SFM. I never use the standard model anymore.

Used twice and disliked it.

I have voted no.

But I think it'a a nice improvment: it's just too much for me.

I would have prefered more optimization and bug fixes.

Happy I have not purchased the dlc.

Used twice and disliked it.

I have voted no.

But I think it'a a nice improvment: it's just too much for me.

I would have prefered more optimization and bug fixes.

Happy I have not purchased the dlc.

Contrary to popular belief developers have their own specialty.Some code, some design,

some model...

Optimization and bugfixes are coming daily they are just small steps since big changes

(so called "low level") would break lots of aspects of the game.

Here is a quick copy paste proof for example of last update

Fixed: Task completion bug in MP Headhunters

Fixed: Simulation Manager now works correctly even for UAVs

Fixed: FFV positions in Civilian Truck. Slightly reduced head shake in one of the get in animations. Zamak should now be entered and exited correctly

Fixed: Kart drivers declared so their DLC icons would display

Fixed: setOwner was incorrectly used on a single module (it's part of a group)

Fixed: OK and TRY buttons were active even in lite versions of Arsenal

Fixed: CoF: Orange 3 sniper rifle on the ground would not always be there after restart

Fixed: FD competitors could receive 1 more magazine on restart compared to the first start

Fixed: Fatigue was not reset when a Firing Drill was (soft) restarted

Fixed: Using a more robust method of disabling saves in FDs / TTs (so that CoF: Green does not incorrectly allow saving)

Fixed: Zamak tires deflate correctly when destroyed

Fixed: RscHTML lacked x, y, w, h coordinates, leading to errors when created using ctrlCreate

Fixed: scope parameter used in CfgMarkerColors and CfgMarkerBrushes (1 - visible in editor, 2 - visible in editor and ingame map)

Fixed: Adjusted tail blade radius for Mohawk

Fixed: Assault boat front seat was able to aim through the Boat

Fixed: Several modules now display author properly

Fixed: Silenced MX should have the correct sample

Fixed: Commander hatch of Scorcher doesn't disappear anymoar

Fixed: Titan AA missile had a bad shape while fired

Fixed: Resolved a conflict of cfgSkeletons classes

Fixed: Broken macro in Team Switch dialogue (no visible change in the game, but less error messages in RPT)

Fixed: Some modules were in the editor wrongly marked as a part of Zeus DLC

Fixed: BIS_fnc_loadInventory had problem loading corrupted inventory save

Fixed: Wrong attachments order in loadInventory function

Fixed: Adjusted position of optics for static GMG

Fixed: Further decreased weights of various fences in an attempt to fix vehicle collision issue

Fixed: Adjusted memory points in tank turrets to prevent shooting through walls

Fixed: DLC Content Browser - DLC icons made sharper

Fixed: Diesel Power plant now shows on 2D map

Fixed: Default turret should not have a copilot capability

Fixed: Rear door cargo proxies in Huron should now be consistent across LODs

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00039

And on the end I'm happy to purchase DLC so I support developers with their policy of

platform content free, (That being AFM, slingloading and firing from vehicles.) and premium content paid (helis).

Don't forget, in addition to those updates and fixes, that's pretty much all they can do while they work on the more important stuff in the background. Right now they are full force on the Expansion. The new Terrain, which is supposedly coming along "splendidly". The new assets and infrastructure they are all working on, and i'm certain even a story line for their next episode(s) in continuation of the campaign maybe. And don't forget, it won't be just a whole new package of content. It's supposed to have new features too, and i think one of them that was mentioned included terrain improvements, which Altis/Stratis could benefit from too.

Waaaay, back on topic now though, the new flight model? I love it. It gives a sense of realism, and a massive boost of immersion, even though i've never flown a helicopter and that FDM is the closest i'm ever going to get. (by choice. I'm a natural Fixed-Wing lover anyhow)

I enjoy throwing it on to practice with mouse and keyboard now and again, or when i'm taken by surprise and it's available during gameplay due to it being forced on a server.

I voted no but I do like the advanced flight model and have enjoyed trying to get to grips with it.

I need to practice but I am not confident to fly on a pvp multipler server.

Joe, if you 'enjoy' it then you should vote Yes. This way you will make sure there will be at least one server in the MP server list where AFM is enabled and where players who want learn AFM can test their skills every week ;-)

I like it and dislike it at the same time.

I like the hud. I like the way you're affected by wind and stuff.

I dislike the fact that if I have the trim set to be manually adjust my aircraft just pitch backwards incredibly fast; too fast to actually adjust anything accurately. If the trim is adjusted automatically, there's really not much difference in having the AFM on or off to me. You can feel the wind having an effect, but it's very minor, even with gale force winds.

I'd rather just like having the new HUD without the other stuff associated with it. I haven't found any public drop-in-drop-out servers that use it anyway.

Personally not a fan of it as i suck at it.

But i do really like the rough landing and i dont get why you cant have that on without it/why it isnt just on be default. It's incredibly frustrating watching a chopper lose it's instruments or rotor cus he was going 4km/h and skid along the ground...

I do like the AFM. Fly it with M / KB (Joystick broke) a lot in SP. Not so sure of using it in multiplayer, especially in combination with modded content so much can already go wrong, people want to reduce unnecessary risks as much as possible. Then stuff like desyncs or frame drops may cause additional interference when using AFM which may lead to more issues.

AFM being forced would bode great things for the multiplayer modes especially pvp.

AFM would greatly balance helicopters vs infantry and would result in more realistic power dynamics.

Like other posters have said, their is things you can do with the AFM that you can't do normally. I almost wish servers could implement just some of the features such as the ability to adjust your rotor tilt. I wish they would of just forced it on the community, sure their would of been thousands of people crying. But at least it would of balanced out a bigger aspect of the game.

It all depends on the scope of the match you have in mind.

You may play in a clan with a dedicated pilot (and/or air wing) so you may want to be more challenged in your going aroud with your vehicle; on the other hand, you may not have such a situation and the heli pilot is just one of the bunch that just need to ferry people from A to B. Keep in mind that i am a former Falcon BMS simmer, so when i talk air power i seek certain things.

I have had discussions about everyhting slightly perifireal to Armaverse, and i have been given a pretty good explanation, so im giving it to you: everything that is not directly referred with a footman's point of view and experience is there to enhance it; medic, engineer, pilot, tank crewman, radio operator etc. are there to make the infantryman feel better, so in a way it's not wrong having "magic powers" while managing those collateral activities. This doesnt mean that it's not something interesting or worth having, but i guess it's right having the possibility to tune down everything not directly related to infantryman activity because that's where the focus is.

I love the AFM but I usually don´t use it in MP just because it´s unfair when the other players use normal fm. I would love to see a server with forced afm.

• Like 1

I like the AFM. It isn't as detailed as, say, DCS: Huey, but it still provides a more realistic helicopter flight experience than the SFM. Not exactly relevant to this discussion, but I really wish BIS would fix how helos react when they roll over. Anyone who flies or rides in helicopters knows the pain. Your pilot may auto rotate and land on a postage stamp, but if the fuselage starts to roll, you better get out quick, because for some reason, you immediately explode info a fiery crash if you pass 90° roll.

While Artillery, tanks, aircraft, boats and so on might have originally been intended as means to improve the infantry's experience and immersion, do keep in mind that these roles have to be played by players, too, and it is far from impossible to make those roles fun, challenging and fulfilling, too. I think that the "new" AFM served as the first step to expand ArmA beyond an infantry-centric game towards a full scale war simulator where infantry and pilots alike will find a home. While I'm hoping that more steps will follow, such as different gears for ground vehicles, fire control systems and more complicated systems in jets and artillery, I already use the AFM almost exclusively when piloting, simply because it's a lot more fun.

I like it, but the delay in input kills me, literally. As does the instant explode on roll or contact with almost anything.

One reason I switched back to the Normal FM. The Advanced FM is nice but the constant collective raise and lowering and the tendency to drop suddenly finally turned me off on it. I mean it's cool and all but really needs some more work before I feel comfortable again with it. I know I've said that it was pretty cool but I've ridden in a variety of helicopters and while no, I never piloted one, I never felt or experienced anything that the AFM currently gives us.