Sign in to follow this  
HaZZarD

dedicated server vs non dedicated servers ?

So guys, untill now I always made mission for hosting them in the regular way, now I would like to start hosting using TADST and I know things that worked in MP hosting on non dedicated server way may not work as intended on dedicated servers.

So what's the difference between non dedicated and dedicated servers ?

How to make missions for dedicated servers ?

thanks

Basically, you have to know and understand that some commands do not broadcast their results across the net to all clients. Also, "player" is NULL on dedicated server, so you can't use it at all.

I advice you not to ask general questions which can only be answered with a book and load a mission on a dedicated server ( even on your own machine ) and figure out exactly what your problem is, then you will need to know exactly what to look for and what to ask exactly.

There are many ways one can interpret your questions ( performancewise/scriptingwise/level of skills to set up-wise )

you don't need to buy a game to have a dedicated server

Erm, who wants to know this?

Erm, who wants to know this?

A stupid guy... like me...

Was maybe tired when i read his post...

A stupid guy... like me...

Was maybe tired when i read his post...

Yeah, thought it was a bit random :)

I advice you not to ask general questions which can only be answered with a book

I think this is incorrect, just about the only difference between a host'n'play server and a dedicated server is that the dedicated server must be run in a separate instance (actually a separate program to be more specific) and because of that, no "player" variable exists. Also, it's a son-of-a-bitch to set up, TADST is definitely recommended.