Sign in to follow this  
mattldempsey

Need some Fast Paced missions to play with a console gamer

So my console buddy finally got a PC.

I am hoping to get him into Arma however I dont want to just stick right into it, I think the pace and complexity will put him off?

Can any suggest some fast paced missions we can play together?

By fast pace I mean action orientated. I want to wow him.

KOTH or Wasteland, If you're in the UK or EU you're welcome to join our Wasteland server, usually 45-50+ on in the evening, quick and easy, run shoot die, repeat :)

IP & Port are in the gametracker info below or filter UKGZ

b_560_95_1.png

KOTH or Wasteland, If you're in the UK or EU you're welcome to join our Wasteland server, usually 45-50+ on in the evening, quick and easy, run shoot die, repeat :)

IP & Port are in the gametracker info below or filter UKGZ

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/46.236.34.203:2402/b_560_95_1.png

The only thing with Wasteland is the gameplay is generally shocking. People tend to just run around aimlessly for hours.

I'm looking for something a bit more warfare orientated.

I was planning on keeping him away from Wasteland and Life if possible!

Insurgency, I&A, Patrol Ops, and I would recommend looking for a milsim unit's server, that way there is the possibility that they will be there "running" the mission, trying to make it as coordinated as possible, which makes it much more fun IMHO.

@ JShock: OP is prioritizing "fast paced" over "coordinated" here...

@ MattLDempsey: Take a look at Murcielago's DM4+ or CTF on stable branch, as well as the new End Game match type on dev branch, but if you are uncertain about those then I would absolutely second Richie's KOTH suggestions, it sounds like the sweet spot of both single-flag "sector control" (aka Call of Duty's Domination/Battlefield's Conquest) with character customization/progression (leveling, perks, unlocks, buying gear) and likely player count, plus thanks to its popularity there's a bunch of playthrough videos or streams and even tutorial videos out there with which to sell the concept.

I am of course aware of Battle Royale (although for "action oriented" I would instead recommend the Ghost Hotel version), but the necessity of and randomization of looting puts it further from free-for-all deathmatch, despite the "action-enforcing" blue zone, than KOTH is from (single-flag) sector control.

Edited by Chortles

@ JShock: OP is prioritizing "fast paced" over "coordinated" here...

Well, I'm apart of a milsim group, and we are fast-paced and coordinated, I guess it's really the unit's play style that decides that. And coordinated attacks and support (close air support, artillery, etc.) are much more wowing than extremely fast-paced gameplay, but I guess that's just a personal opinion.

Edited by JShock

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I should probably explain myself a bit better.

I would prefer something Scenario based rather than typical multiplayer 'gamemodes' such as KOTH, Wasteland, Battle Royal.

I want to slowly phase my mate from these typical 'gamemodes' into co-ordinated objective based gameplay. I'm sure he will take to it and love it as long as I don't just thrust him in head first. He will be all for co-ordinated gameplay, I just dont want to scare him off with prolonged running across vast area's and long periods of no interaction.

I actually looked into Insurgency, I used to play it a long time ago on A2 and BF:PR, however when I downloaded the ALiVE Insurgency and tried to host it, you get no AI on your team. Seem's a bit silly 2 of us vs an entire army!

as you may have realised by now I am not totally familiar with all the mods and how they work. I preach about co-ordinated gameplay however never really get round to it, until now hopefully!

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

I think he will really appreciate missions where CAS and other support roles play a big role. It's great to see all the aspects come together!

Yea I would say the best place to search for small scenarios such as that would be the Steam Workshop, I personally don't use the workshop and don't like many of the missions it contains mainly due to the fact they aren't built to the style of gameplay that I'm used to (milsim, large scale co-op), so I'm not saying their bad missions by any means, but they are your best bet to get your friend's feet wet in the Armaverse :).

Actually, I almost forgot I did contribute to a mission on the workshop, it's for 5 people, but full of action:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298839546

but they are your best bet to get your friend's feet wet in the Armaverse :).
At least you recognize the ultimate goal of the OP. :D I'd like to ask though, did you build in player-count scaling for your SWS mission?

@ MattLDempsey: Based on your narrowing of the concept, I'm now leaning against Wasteland/Battle Royale (even the Ghost Hotel iteration is as reliant as BR on finding a weapon ASAP) in favor of KOTH or the upcoming End Game for TvT "match types", the latter is particularly worth checking out... but for strictly player vs. AI co-op, have you considered utilizing vanilla-game/no-mods Zeus Game Master mode?

The reason I suggest ZGM is that you may find such a "real time editor"* allowing for greater responsiveness to any dissatisfaction in your console buddy's experience, particularly if you're unfamiliar with creating your own missions through the regular Editor or are uncertain about others' missions... plus if your console buddy is going to be the sole player besides yourself, and if you believe that "CAS and other support roles" are going to be key to a positive experience for your buddy, then you can accentuate their experience by roleplaying as their fire support/CAS without needing AI to man artillery and possibly even aircraft -- at least if your buddy doesn't mind not seeing the aircraft itself in the latter case, although you can place one (flying) and then Remote Control it too!

In the case of "no-AI/no-Remote Control" support my preference is to challenge the player, in this case your console buddy, to call in support via roleplay instead of a "point and click" interface like Battlefield and Call of Duty did, rewarding a "better" call with a more accurately placed Ordnance module while communicating with the player in clear instructions without jargon.

* VBS3 refers to its 'regular' Editor as the "Offline Mission Editor".

I'd like to ask though, did you build in player-count scaling for your SWS mission?

Well, as I said I contributed, this is not my mission by any means, I was actually brought in near the end of development for testing and other improvements where necessary (a second pair of eyes basically :p), but AFAIK it does not scale based on player count.

Come play some DTAS if you're in EU time zone. Find events here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arma3pvpcommunity#events

Video guide for mission:

It's not extremely fast paced, but it's fast paced enough to keep you interested.

I will look into this thank you!

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

At least you recognize the ultimate goal of the OP. :D I'd like to ask though, did you build in player-count scaling for your SWS mission?

@ MattLDempsey: Based on your narrowing of the concept, I'm now leaning against Wasteland/Battle Royale (even the Ghost Hotel iteration is as reliant as BR on finding a weapon ASAP) in favor of KOTH or the upcoming End Game for TvT "match types", the latter is particularly worth checking out... but for strictly player vs. AI co-op, have you considered utilizing vanilla-game/no-mods Zeus Game Master mode?

The reason I suggest ZGM is that you may find such a "real time editor"* allowing for greater responsiveness to any dissatisfaction in your console buddy's experience, particularly if you're unfamiliar with creating your own missions through the regular Editor or are uncertain about others' missions... plus if your console buddy is going to be the sole player besides yourself, and if you believe that "CAS and other support roles" are going to be key to a positive experience for your buddy, then you can accentuate their experience by roleplaying as their fire support/CAS without needing AI to man artillery and possibly even aircraft -- at least if your buddy doesn't mind not seeing the aircraft itself in the latter case, although you can place one (flying) and then Remote Control it too!

In the case of "no-AI/no-Remote Control" support my preference is to challenge the player, in this case your console buddy, to call in support via roleplay instead of a "point and click" interface like Battlefield and Call of Duty did, rewarding a "better" call with a more accurately placed Ordnance module while communicating with the player in clear instructions without jargon.

* VBS3 refers to its 'regular' Editor as the "Offline Mission Editor".

Zeus is an excellent idea! How did I not think of this! Cheers mate!

Whilst I am here asking. Obviously I would be running this off of my computer. I can play Arma fine. Just looking for a heads up but will there be much of a negative effect running as a server? I would not have thought so, and as it will most likely just be as and AI my internet should cope fine as well.