The a10 was named the warthog because of it's supposed ugliness. Me personally I like it. It's standout.

The wipeout on the other hand. Is actually ugly as f. Hope this can be avoided.

Yeah, i felt the same. The A-10 actually doesn't look bad at all. It's because everything about it is aerodynamic. The Wipeout however, just looks rushed, little thought of aircraft design other than "stealth up an existing airframe". Well it may look good to others but i've been a fan of aircraft since single digit years, i know what a good aircraft looks like. Anyways yeah, i hope they have a good line up for the content.

• Like 1

To be fair, that's probably how Wipeout actually came to be. Someone up top decided that all AF planes have to use stealth, but they couldn't agree on a full-on successor for the A-10 (or whatever they did agree on was too far in the future), so they settled for an unnecessary, expensive, kludged together upgrade to the old plane. Wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. :) Of course, stealth features made aerodynamics go down the drain, so they had another brilliant idea: scale down the cannon (everyone just uses missiles these days, right?)... While I'm not particularly fond of Wipeout, it looks and flies exactly like a result of a string of bad decisions of the sort that isn't all that uncommon in the US military.

• Like 7

Why do I get the nagging feeling we will get at best two Jets-maybe three if we lucky. That cut Alpha F35. And features that are free...tied up together in PR as if its meant to make said paid DLC appear "MORE"?

I would at the least expect 4. And the fourth a neutral country-Some British Tornado. CSAT, NATO and AAF-remember those guys? Likely the modus operandi will be ooh configured jets to make them appear more a CSAT SU 35 AA or CSAT SU 35 AT.

Some re skinned "new" flight suits with decals accessed in Arsenal with some option to colour your Helmet. NATO Rising Sun. NATO US Flag. NATO Tan colour.

Likey two sorties as missions. Drop a Bomb on Convoy. Top gun face off against a OPFOR Ace.

The fly boys need to be taken care of.

• Like 1

The F-35 isn't coming back, IIRC it was stated quite clearly at some point. Don't expect something hugely larger than helos DLC, though. I'll be happy if we get two or three jets, two missions plus improvements to plane physics and targeting.

The F-35 not coming back was stated as amuch earlier time and it stated that the models shown in previews aren't usable. Doesn't mean that they can't make a new model and bring it in the DLC which wasn't planned at that time.

The F-38 was just a placeholder that used Arma 2's X-35B model:

A few assets seen in screenshots and other media were taken well before the project review, when Arma 3 was a different game. We remain convinced the changes were for the better. It wasn't optimal to show placeholder and prototype content before we knew we could finish it. This has also led to a renewed stance to public statements - not confirming or announcing content before we are quite sure about it (starting October 2012). Specifically vehicles like the F-38 (as we called it), were only ever placeholder assets taken from Arma 2, and used to showcase flight and the new clouds, as well as to test fixed-wing PhysX. They were meant to be significantly updated or re-done to match, but due to a shift in priorities, not finished in time. There was no ill-intent when showing them - rather overly ambitious goals, enthusiasm and a desire to share development progress.

Also don't forget how we also had the early screenshots of the MV-22, which would eventually become the V-44X Blackfish that we have in Apex now (albeit with vastly different capabilities and aesthetic).

So it's still too early to rule out the F-35 possibly making a coming back in some way.  :P

Well, the new NATO jet could very well end up looking like F-35, but it won't be the one from Alpha. Considering the "creativity" BIS has shown so far in making its fictional designs, I'm expecting something of that sort. :) I just hope CSAT doesn't get stuck with that Iranian cardboard fighter they were flaunting a few years ago...

I honestly feel that a dedicated AA jet is sort of pointless for Arma, what I would request is:

1. A lodout editor tied to 3DEN. Just like the current system allows editing of vehicle appearance, let it alter plane (and helicopter?) loadouts. It's already possible via scripts, but this is tedious, and often missile models don't appear on the planes.

2. If you implement #1 then this will allow you to implement multi-role jets that can alter loadouts accordingly. Of course, an A10 would not do SEAD or air superiority, and shouldn't be allowed to equip such missiles (AIM-120, AGM88, etc).

3. SEAD! Given the fantastic sensor overhaul, SEAD would be a great addition, even if you choose to not do #1. Make a multi-role SEAD plane like the F/A-18 Hornet, that can carry both long range AA missiles as well as SEAD stuff.

I just feel a much smaller subset of people would find pure air superiority jets useful. In the 1.5 years that i've been playing with the communities i play with, the AA Buzzard has never been used. Ever. Admittedly, it's partially because only one faction has an AA jet. Here point #1 above would be useful too, since one could make the Neophron an AA jet too, simply by editing its loadout.

CAS should become more interesting with the sensor overhaul, doubly so if the Jets focus could be on bombing, multirole SEAD and CAS instead of pure air superiority.

In MP there's an additional problem where the aircraft is either falling to the ground or has already crossed the map by the time one loads in to the mission and takes controls. Having something like an aircraft carrier, even if small, would make designing such missions* much simpler. An aircraft carrier in the Dutch DLC for example would compliment Jets very well. ;) (of course i'm not sure how you'll do carrier landings :P )

*Missions where the plane has to start in the air for whatever reasons

Edited by SuicideKing
added a clarification
  • Like 6

And if a loadout editor is not possible, then atleast a few loadout and camo variations of each plane would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 4

please no sci-fi jets. Only real and modern jets

Spoiler

:face_palm:

• Like 4

Personally if I were Bohemia I'd add the JAS39 E Gripen which is the latest of the JAS 39 Family. 

I believe that it would be a good choice because of its multirole and high tech build. JAS stands for Jakt (Hunt (Fighter)) Attack (Attack, Duh) and Spaning (Reconnasaince) and is one of the most high tech aircraft in the world today competing with the F35 and the latest russian jets. its also quite pretty. 

One of the most interesting abilities of the JAS is its capability of taking off from short distances such as roads. 

maxresdefault.jpg

On 25.12.2016 at 5:11 PM, sammael said:

please no sci-fi jets. Only real and modern jets

Depends what you mean by modern.

Most of current planes are deep modernisation of 70-80'th tech.Such as F15,F16 and F18.As well as many MiGs and Su planes.

Right at this moment - planes like PAK-FA and F22 are the same as F16 in 80th.

I meant jets from 1990-2017 and their modification

On 12/17/2016 at 5:33 PM, SuicideKing said:

3. SEAD! Given the fantastic sensor overhaul, SEAD would be a great addition, even if you choose to not do #1. Make a multi-role SEAD plane like the F/A-18 Hornet, that can carry both long range AA missiles as well as SEAD stuff.

It may be to your interest that over in the sensors thread I've requested details on the possibilities for implementing SEAD with the current dev branch as-is, specifically in simulating anti-radiation missiles via a passive radar sensor.

• Like 1

Hello there, I'm back few more suggestion and stuff to change to make the plane good again.

The most important for plane in general:

- How plane analogic throttle is handle need to change. Right now, the throttle go from -100 to 100 (s-curve). From 0 to 50% you are actually using your airbrake while from 50% to 100% you are actually accelerating. That's really bad for people using HOTAS. Instead of that you should change the throttle curv to a J-curv (0 to 100 only) or removing the whille braking part from the throttle option (if you don't want to change how axes are handle). At 0 the engine should be in idle mode and you shouldn't use your airbrake. THIS IS REALLY NEEDED!!

- Give us the option to open/close airbrake without shutting down our thrust by using a simple keybind

- INVENTORY/ARSENAL!!! This absolutely need to be a thing. Not only for plane but for EVERY vehicle. Some mod, like the F/A 18 superhornet mod, do it and it work perfectly (You have 2 different plane, a single seater and a two seater and you can change the loadout via a scroll-down menu in the option, you can even change the appearance!!!). Also allow us to create setup (something like arsenal but for vehicle), save it and change it via the vehicle option in Eden or a close ammo truck in game. This will allow to reduce the number of variant of each vehicle in menu to only 1 and allow players to adapt themselves without having to change of vehicle entirely.

For radar/sensor

- For the Active radar, use Ctrl+R to activate/deactivate, Rshift-R to increase range anb Lalt-R to descrease range. It's simple and everything is bind to the "same key" (R)

- Tied the IR and visual Sensor to the TGP instead of the fuselage of CAS airplane (if they have one of course) . It make much more sense as it's the main tool we use to locate a target. And when the TGP is in idle position, it's aligned with the fuselage, so no problem.

- We really need to be able to switch between target...

4 hours ago, S3blapin said:

For radar/sensor

- For the Active radar, use Ctrl+R to activate/deactivate, Rshift-R to increase range anb Lalt-R to descrease range. It's simple and everything is bind to the "same key" (R)

- Tied the IR and visual Sensor to the TGP instead of the fuselage of CAS airplane (if they have one of course) . It make much more sense as it's the main tool we use to locate a target. And when the TGP is in idle position, it's aligned with the fuselage, so no problem.

- We really need to be able to switch between target...

You can change the displayed range of the sensor display in vehicles that support this (to be fair this should include all non-civilian aircraft in the vanilla game) by switching display modes as discussed in the Custom Info thread. If you mean changing the actual distance of the radar (blue arc) though, that's set seemingly by design...

As you can see with the helicopter gunships the IR/visual sensors can be aligned with a model selection (in their case the gunner's turret), the problem being that I'm not so sure how to give a turret to the pilot and have it be pilotCamera...

Not sure what you mean by switch target...

Hey devs, arma maps are to small for jets ! so...

You must add a system to virtually expend the map size (with a carrier or a virtual second island) to flight a little time before the strike.

Just for example :

Missile Mavrick range (air-ground) => 13 to 27 Km

Missile AIM120 range (air-air) => 50 to 160 Km

AGM-88 HARM range (anti-radar) => 150 Km

Please make this type of mission in arma !

In this video you can see the pilot prepare weapons, lock and fire objective a really long time before arrive on it. ==> this is a jets A/G attack

Make it possible too (Missile evasion)

don't forget sam site

BMS for ever ! ... and arma of course ;-)

• Like 2

On 11/24/2016 at 4:18 PM, silentghoust said:

I due hope they give the AAF something as well. I understand they are supposed to be the outdated faction, but their current AA fighter is pretty sub-par compared to NATO and CSAT CAS planes. Even if it's not a jet, maybe a SAM system?

Funny thing in hindsight is that as of my own mid-January post the attack jets got infrared/visual sensors on dev branch while the Buzzard (AA) is the only vanilla jet thusfar with active radar, the benefit/drawback of which are described here.

Hi, I don't now where to write this request, but as far as you're speaking about a future DLC for jets, i'd like to kindly request a better joystick configuration. At this time, my Logitech force 3D pro, like yours I guess, only have a configuration through Arma's settings, which is supposed to work for helicopter or jet (plane), regarlees of the type of "air" asset. The problem is that if I set a good response for helicopters, the joystick is too much sensitive for planes (especially for banking). It's true in Vanilla, it's absolutely insane in UNSUNG mod. I know there are some configurations in the modders hands, but to make it easier with existing or incoming jet mods, please do something for at least 2 possible configurations in Arma. Thanks.

i'd like to kindly request a better joystick configuration. At this time, my Logitech force 3D pro, like yours I guess, only have a configuration through Arma's settings, which is supposed to work for helicopter or jet (plane), regarlees of the type of "air" asset. The problem is that if I set a good response for helicopters, the joystick is too much sensitive for planes (especially for banking). It's true in Vanilla, it's absolutely insane in UNSUNG mod. I know there are some configurations in the modders hands, but to make it easier with existing or incoming jet mods, please do something for at least 2 possible configurations in Arma. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

i'd like to kindly request a better joystick configuration. At this time, my Logitech force 3D pro, like yours I guess, only have a configuration through Arma's settings, which is supposed to work for helicopter or jet (plane), regarlees of the type of "air" asset. The problem is that if I set a good response for helicopters, the joystick is too much sensitive for planes (especially for banking). It's true in Vanilla, it's absolutely insane in UNSUNG mod. I know there are some configurations in the modders hands, but to make it easier with existing or incoming jet mods, please do something for at least 2 possible configurations in Arma. Thanks.

Agreed

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the flight model is bizarre and needs some tweaking. The throttle is also an issue. I hope those are finally addressed. The folks over at DCS seem to have a good grasp on simulated flight models, maybe BIS should consult with them.

Yep, engine power should be from idle to full. It's a weird idea to place brakes in the first half of throttle. Air brakes should be apart (analogic with duration).  Post-combustion could be at the very end of throttle (max) or on on/off button.

you can assign both the positive and negative axis to the throttle (and remove the brake), giving you full motion range. So its not like it doesnt work. Its just counter-intuitive to do.

• Like 1