6 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

I'm inclined to say feature. Isn't that an actual risk with some ejection systems?

Not anymore. It's a bug. The very earliest ejection systems did have problems ejecting at very low and very high speeds and altitudes (though usually not due to the canopy, you'd hit the tail fin or the chute won't deploy), but those are long solved. Today's seats are capable of "zero-zero" (zero airspeed, zero altitude) ejections.

• Like 1

well i justed died when my ejection seat detached from me at 1200km/h slamming in to my back, the kh25 is non selectable in firemode, ejection seat does not right itself when ejecting, especially upside down. pilot is in the back of the seat when he ejects and here is a video on how it should work. 

The animations of the controll surfaces on the new jets seem really exaggerated compared to the effect they have on the planes maneuvering. It looks very floppy/wonky.

There are a number of visual errors on Shikra that i noticed.

Spoiler

20170414010344_1xykb9.png

20170414010402_1t7kcf.png

20170414010714_1pkksw.png

Overall i must say that i would have expected slightly more in terms of visual quality inside the cockpits. There dont appear to be proper normalmaps so that the 90° edges dont look as jarring for example. The "digital" interfaces in the cockpits are barely readable and suffer from z-fighting issues. They have only primitive color as well, no texture to it. Esp. the wasp interior due to beeing almost entirely covered by interface looks poor as a result.

I also got this popup when firing all missiles one after another (using diag.exe). Not sure of the significance.

20170414011110_15ekw3.jpg

5 hours ago, dragon01 said:

1. Apex flight physics don't seem to be implemented for any of the jets.

told you... there are no changes of flight physics under the hood, and there is no "Apex flight physics". They are just "soft" setting tweaks of the same flight equations, with the flight equations beeing responsible for unsatisfactory behvaiour. In DCS when flying Mig-29 and SU-27 they do not turn in any significant way when rolling to the side... take that however you will.

Then explain why Caesar BTT feels so much better. There already was a significant upgrade to flight physics during Apex development, which only needs to be configured properly. The devs have said that a few times. There's no need to change anything under the hood, just make proper use of what's already there.

Maybe it's the intended behavior, jet fighters are often designed to be aerodynamically unstable, which means that the center of lift is right on the center of mass, which could have an effect of reducing the tendency to turn when banked. However, the tendency should still be there.

• Like 1

Reveal hidden contents

20170414010344_1xykb9.png

20170414010402_1t7kcf.png

20170414010714_1pkksw.png

I also got this popup when firing all missiles one after another (using diag.exe). Not sure of the significance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Z fighting issue you mentioned appears to be linked to the AO, if you hop into the cockpit without AO enabled it doesn't show this...curious.
Also in regards the missiles, is this a constant and replicateable? 

1 hour ago, dragon01 said:

Then explain why Caesar BTT feels so much better. There already was a significant upgrade to flight physics during Apex development, which only needs to be configured properly. The devs have said that a few times. There's no need to change anything under the hood, just make proper use of what's already there.

Maybe it's the intended behavior, jet fighters are often designed to be aerodynamically unstable, which means that the center of lift is right on the center of mass, which could have an effect of reducing the tendency to turn when banked. However, the tendency should still be there.

We're looking for all manners of feedback right now and flight is one of the big ones, would you be willing to explain what it is about the BTT's handling you felt was better?

• Like 1

Please give the AH-9 a proper armament to be a light attack helo.

Don't know what your reporting there Buck...the videos you posted seemed to work fine...the Ejection Seats go through a sequence of clearing the aircraft and if altitude permits, the Man/Seat Separation happens next...seems fine to me...can you elaborate?

AV8R

53 minutes ago, AV8R_Six said:

Don't know what your reporting there Buck...the videos you posted seemed to work fine...the Ejection Seats go through a sequence of clearing the aircraft and if altitude permits, the Man/Seat Separation happens next...seems fine to me...can you elaborate?

AV8R

I was informing people that they have implemented proper ejection seats with gif footage, incase no one else has thats all. I know how they work, its just people seem to neglect the eject button when in a jet because its so useless so the odds of people pressing it when trying out new content is rather low. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

I was informing people that they have implemented proper ejection seats with gif footage, incase no one else has thats all. I know how they work, its just people seem to neglect the eject button when in a jet because its so useless so the odds of people pressing it when trying out new content is rather low. 

Ah Gotcha...good idea!  That reminds me, I had my Saitek X52 covered Fire Button set up for eject when ARMA 3 first came out and it worked for a while, then about a year or more ago, it stopped...I need to retest it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AV8R_Six said:

Ah Gotcha...good idea!  That reminds me, I had my Saitek X52 covered Fire Button set up for eject when ARMA 3 first came out and it worked for a while, then about a year or more ago, it stopped...I need to retest it.

Actually binding 'Eject' to a joystick/throttle setup is actually worthwhile! Eject Eject Eject!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nodunit said:

We're looking for all manners of feedback right now and flight is one of the big ones, would you be willing to explain what it is about the BTT's handling you felt was better?

Well, the fact that it turns when banked is the most immediately striking one. The other things are harder to nail down. I've noticed, for example, that putting the FPM on the zero pitch line still causes the aircraft to rise (Black Wasp) or drop (Shikra and Griffon), which is not the case with BTT (possibly a HUD calibration issue rather than FM). Also, the sort of crazy tailslide that someone posted around here (or indeed, any sort of tailslide) doesn't seem to be possible in the Caesar, it flips around into the airflow. Flaps don't seem to add much drag (though Caesar shares that problem, too). It also seems to be easier to keep the Caesar in level flight than the new fighters, though I'm not sure what might be the cause.

I didn't try Sentinel (if there's any kind of hack to force control of it without "owning" the DLC, I'd love to know about it), but it probably suffers from similar issues. I did find one amusing issue on it, though. There are labels near the engines that should probably say "BEWARE OF BLAST", but instead they say "BE WERE OF BLAST". :) The implications are... interesting, to say the least. Clearly, there's some sort of werewolf conspiracy on USS Freedom. :) 

EDIT: Well, two issues, actually. When 2x Macer pylon is loaded, on of the missiles clips through the weapon bay doors.

• Like 1

You have to connect to the Drone via script command, then you can fly it.

I would say it has the worst flying behaviour of any of the planes in Arma. It does not have a vertical stabilizer/ controll surface. While in a real flying wing yaw controll is achieved by opening butterfly-like flaps on one side of the wing, there is no visual represenation of that on the Sentinel Drone.

But you can still fly knifeedge without dropping the nose thanks yaw drift. It can even fly knifeedge loops.

The flight model of all the new jets feels really bad with the unrealistic yaw drift and the missing turns when banking left or right.

Indeed. It has no yaw control at all, only nose wheel steering. The Sentinel really needs some flight model tweaks, most notably adding yaw by differential airbrake operation (the airbrakes really shouldn't respond to pitch commands, though. They're not that far aft). 

Good to see that after 4 years of game development BIS still follows the stupid design of BALANCING

NATO and CSAT both get stealth planes which are mechanically identical but cosmetically different, just like everything else in both vanilla game and expack. Let's not even start about the general idea of mixing old planes instead of using realistic super-modern prototypes. Because it would totally make sense that NATO will take F/A-18 and mix it with cancelled F-22 to produce something better.

Is it so hard to make at least somewhat believable content after 4 years? At least something that would make nations half a world away from each other AT LEAST slightly different? Why is official content so boring?

Gee it's as if ArmA4 will be better if BIS will not include anything but the toolbox and the engine into release and let modding scene provide actually good content - because that's how it is now.

In terms of flight physics, even the F-15 today had the ability to knife edge without losing falling. The reason for this is automated flight systems countering. Forgot what they call it, but anyhow, the most advanced planes, while it may not feel right, shouldn't really bank unless set up to by the pilot, which brings me to think they should add an auto rudder toggle feature to act as this ability.

An F15 has two vertical stabilizers and a long fuselage. So there is enough surface to guide the air downwards when the aircraft keeps a slight upward angle during knifeedge.

The Sentinel drone as a flying wing does not have any larger vertical surfaces, so the only way it could perform a knifeedge loop which it currently can in Arma 3 is by really overpowered engines.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nodunit said:

The Z fighting issue you mentioned appears to be linked to the AO, if you hop into the cockpit without AO enabled it doesn't show this...curious.
Also in regards the missiles, is this a constant and replicateable?

It's possibly a texture formatting issue. AO shines through DXT5 (alpha) textures like this unless they have a fully opaque non-alpha _co surface behind them.

The opaque black background for the screens could have an channel alpha that should not be there - either because it was saved without the correct _co suffix before it was converted to .paa and thus not given proper DXT1 format.

Or some occasional issue arises where having mixed _co and _ca textures in the model causes all surfaces to render like alphas (though I think this isn't the case since other cockpit surfaces are not affected)

Applying named property forceNotAlpha = 1 usually sorts it out if it's not a simply .paa formatting problem

The R77 missile is also affected by the ao alpha problem however:

http://i.imgur.com/H4ZzTPU.png

This one I'd be pretty sure it's improper naming of the before conversion, since I can't see where it has other alpha surfaces that would cause the model to render that way.

Thanks for the work chaps, a short vid from myself

• Like 5

Thought I would be better off waiting for the official release. But could not wait for another month.

Ended up downloading Dev-branch.

Wow!

Impressed is an understatement. I forgot what game I was playing.

Where can i find some wiki-like info? There is not much on Community-wiki yet.

It would be cool if the jets had a object specific attribute in Eden to fold the wings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeza said:

Thanks for the work chaps, a short vid from myself

jeza perhaps  bind your mouse wheel button to toggle freelook. I use something like this when I don't have track ir on.