On 4/5/2017 at 9:16 AM, chortles said:

Mentioned potential support for external fuel and potentially EW equipment in the dynamic loadout system but none of them mentioned outside of that context... so no promise of afterburner.

True, but i suspect afterburners, mainly because most Aier Superiority jet mods feature them, and for good reason. They also do so well, providing you can use afterburners for good acceleration to get out of a threat area faster, but you can burn through half your fuel, and that's not including the future fuel tanks. Combine this together, and you already have a polished balance feature to having after burners... however, i do remember BI saying something about supersonic in the past. I can't recall exactly, but the jets we have now already go supersonic in a dive. There would be no fundamental boundries to having after burners from what i can tell, so it's a possibility.

24 minutes ago, darksidesixofficial said:

True, but i suspect afterburners, mainly because most Aier Superiority jet mods feature them, and for good reason. They also do so well, providing you can use afterburners for good acceleration to get out of a threat area faster, but you can burn through half your fuel, and that's not including the future fuel tanks. Combine this together, and you already have a polished balance feature to having after burners... however, i do remember BI saying something about supersonic in the past. I can't recall exactly, but the jets we have now already go supersonic in a dive. There would be no fundamental boundries to having after burners from what i can tell, so it's a possibility.

The burners will help you build speed to get away from a threat, but you also will increase your heat signature for IR missile tracking...balance!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AV8R_Six said:

The burners will help you build speed to get away from a threat, but you also will increase your heat signature for IR missile tracking...balance!

good call, didn't even think about that either!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AV8R_Six said:

Unfortunately I have no clue whether this is actually simulated in the sense of a differing-in-realtime irTargetSize value... word-of-dev already stated that there's no differing-in-realtime for radarTargetSize.

• Like 2

We'd like the dynamic "target size" changes too, would be definitely a nice game balance enrichment, but there's always only so much we can do :/
And thanks for all your recent posts here. It's been motivational to read through! :)

• Like 14

I think despite all the things we wished for that won't happen, whether do to time constraints or limitations elsewhere that what we will get in the end will be rewarding enough. I am already impressed with the improvements thus far and those still to come. It's very good to see that those of us who play actually have our suggestions and ideas heard, let alone implemented into the game! Besides many things can happen post release, even if due to the community's efforts. I am very appreciative of everything we get...thanks!

• Like 1

So the dynamic target size change is off.  Perhaps just making the counters % less effective when dispensing over an active afterburner? 

As is in real life. 

All this could be communicated via the inevitable showcase.  Have your wingman drop it in conversation whike bragging about a past encounter. 

@oukej, please can I request some really fleshed out Showcases for the jets so we have good tutorials telling us how to make best use of all these amazing features? I know obviously you have some in development, but it would be good if they included details for how to use the different sensors etc alongside a great narrative. Not asking for much...obviously :D

• Like 3

@oukej Designing a great Showcase would be important for training purposes, but how about expanding on fixed-wing for VR Training?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, oukej said:

We'd like the dynamic "target size" changes too, would be definitely a nice game balance enrichment, but there's always only so much we can do :/
And thanks for all your recent posts here. It's been motivational to read through! :)

That would be awesome...I've always thought it odd that you can lock onto a water-scooter or quad bike the same way you could target a tank with a missile.  The radar signature factor for all vehicles is different, and ground clutter due to terrain background effects makes it very hard to detect smaller targets, especially from distance or altitude.

It sounds like a real scrub of the Aircraft Weapons Box and Realistic Flight Model is needed for all rotary and fixed wing assets in this department!

18 hours ago, soldier2390@hotmail.com said:

I think despite all the things we wished for that won't happen, whether do to time constraints or limitations elsewhere that what we will get in the end will be rewarding enough. I am already impressed with the improvements thus far and those still to come. It's very good to see that those of us who play actually have our suggestions and ideas heard, let alone implemented into the game! Besides many things can happen post release, even if due to the community's efforts. I am very appreciative of everything we get...thanks!

I love it!  Like Soldier here, we all need to have a little faith in the community and developer teams toward the future...besides, just as in warfare technology...the progress we make here paves the way for future advancement in succeeding platforms and systems.  Maybe there will be a future ArmA version x.x that will have aircraft on par with DCS...if we say no now, then it surely can't happen.

Edited by AV8R_Six
Clarification

7 hours ago, AV8R_Six said:

That would be awesome...I've always thought it odd that you can lock onto a water-scooter or quad bike the same way you could target a tank with a missile.  The radar signature factor for all vehicles is different, and ground clutter due to terrain background effects makes it very hard to detect smaller targets, especially from distance or altitude.

Signature size (RCS, IR, VIS) configurable per vehicle has already been done and the properties are configured on several vehicles in dev-branch - check this post this post in Sensor Overhaul thread for few examples.
What we didn't have time for and have cut is the dynamic changes (due to loadout, opened bay doors, etc.).

• Like 3

Thanks Ondrej!

USS Freedom showed in F/A-18X thread was modified Gerald R. Ford class. First one began sea trials today/yesterday. 

Edit: And ingame.

Edit2: Jets were added to DEV!

• Like 1

As I didn't want to make third edit I'm making new post...

First impressions:

-new jets are great and very nice to fly
-ejection seats have been added

-no sonic boom

-all new jets have 16km radar, compared to 8km AA vehicles

-there are two versions of Shikra and Black Wasp (stealth and not (with external pylons)), I hope those versions will have different radar signature

-Shikra has one more internal slot, but I think in other aspects is equal or inferior to Black Wasp

-new missiles: R73 and R77 with IRL names for Shikra and AMRAAM and BIM 9X (Sidewinder) (last two were technically ingame but those mentioned are new models)

-new vest for carrier crew (they have tank crew helmets and heli pilot clothes)

I think that's all, if I remember anything more, I'll edit this post and add this after this line.

-Black Wasp feels like a true successor to F/A-18

-really good animations activated when firing rockets/bombs from internal bays

just to add to Ztgzaks post. for anyone that can't try them out right now but looking for info.

-Black wasp has fold wing option(also retractable hook) really nice to fly. can take off using 1- 3rd of the Altis main runway. . the uav Sentinal also has fold wing option (couldn't fly is not detected by uav terminal).

overall the models look good some cool details.

bugs-only issue I noticed was slight flickering on front edge of wing on Shikra  in third person. 

sound wise>

-new cannon sounds. jet sounds are pretty good in my opinion. feel more dynamic than the current selection of planes. ejection seat sound.

buttt still no runway screech on land while braking, tud or any indication really there is contact with runway. but here is hoping that comes before release.

OK, I've got some feedback. It mostly concerns the flight model, but also some other features.

1. Apex flight physics don't seem to be implemented for any of the jets. They do not turn without pulling on the stick, and the flight dynamics in general appear off. This is a very important point, the physics really need to be worked on.

2. No post-stall maneuverability on either Black Wasp or Shikra. This is another thing that needs tweaking. Those planes have TVC, which allows a degree of control even with stalled wings. Maneuverability at all speeds should also depend on throttle setting for those planes (since they use the engines to augment it).

3. No afterburners. I hope it's planned to add them at some point.

4. Engine sound seems to depend on speed and not on throttle, at least on Black Wasp. This isn't very good. This is less noticeable in other jets, but it seems that it's still there.

5. I really hope the MFDs will be made more functional. Black Wasp is the only plane without a TGP view, and none of the weapon displays seem to function (which is strange considering that Wipeout recently got a "dynamic" weapon MFD).

6. TGP view doesn't seem to respect the selected mode (it's always in visual).

7. AH-9 should get the 1x and 3x Scalpel options back, at least. Likewise, Orca and Hellcat should be able to carry Scalpels.

8. Gryphon has weapons by default, but when the "attributes" menu is entered, they are removed. Manually setting the loadout still works.

9. It would be great if non-DLC weapons were available to DLC planes and vice versa. 

10. C&W lights in Black Wasp are always lit, giving the impression that the aircraft is about to fall apart. They should only like when it's actually the case.

11. "Flaps T/O" and "Flaps LDG" indicators on Shikra are swapped.

12. ROF on Shikra's cannon is a bit too low to be good for air to air combat.

13. Since Sentinel is billed as UACV, it should be able to carry AA missiles.

14. Wipeout should be able to carry the 4x Scalpel racks. Since CSAT uses them, Neopheron probably should carry Scalpels, as well (though I would prefer the CSAT light ATGM to be a distinct weapon).

Excellent work so far BIS. I echo dragon01's comments.

Additionally, the ejection seat seems to disappear on landing - unless it bounces and I can't find it. Could it be made to land properly so as to be used as a prop - ala Behind Enemy Lines?

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be better to have a seat as a placeable prop? I can certainly a few uses for that.

• Like 1

Overall I love the new birds, they look great and they're a blast to fly, have noticed a few issues as well though. Along with what has already been mentioned, I've not been able to select the KH-25 AGM's when using the Shikra, and while it may or may not be realistic, some better angling on the TGP for the Griffon would be nice, as is it's more than a bit tricky to self lase and guide in LGB's. Also, I cant get the Sentinel to lock onto it's laser.

14 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Wouldn't it be better to have a seat as a placeable prop? I can certainly a few uses for that.

That's what I mean really - it disappears into the ground at present.

You can spawn the ejection seats and plane canopies manually. Classnames are "Ejection_Seat_01_F", "Ejection_Seat_02_F", "Ejection_Seat_04_F", "Plane_Fighter_01_Canopy_F", "Plane_Fighter_02_Canopy_F" and "Plane_Fighter_04_Canopy_F". Try:

createVehicle ["Ejection_Seat_01_F", (position player vectorAdd [0,2,10]),[],0,"CAN_COLLIDE"]

There appears to be something up with their physics though, when they hit the ground they go rocketing off for some reason. I would also like to see both the ejection seats and canopy stick around, though maybe they don't want to do that to avoid object clutter.

Also, fun fact, if you eject from the Black Wasp at low speeds you hit the canopy and die.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

Also, fun fact, if you eject from the Black Wasp at low speeds you hit the canopy and die.

That's hilarious. Feature or bug? You decide!

I'm inclined to say feature. Isn't that an actual risk with some ejection systems?

2 hours ago, Zygzak191 said:

-all new jets have 16km radar, compared to 8km AA vehicles

Minor correction, the new NATO and CSAT jets have 16km air radar, 8km ground radar.

• Like 1