Randomized how so? The flares seem pretty good to me visually, flares are usually deployed in predefined programs which would pop x flares at a regular interval (say, 0.25s). What we do need, however, is the ability to pop a single pair manually, and also for them to function correctly instead of whatever they do now to "spoof" missiles.

Flares never work for me... if i use them i always get hit by a missile. The only way i can avoid missiles is by piloting like a maniac doing crazy turns and even then i sometimes get hit

You need to combine evasive actions with flares. They're not the panaceum, especially as far as modern missile systems are concerned. You need to outturn the missile while popping flares. Easier to do in a jet than in a helo, but even a helicopter can survive against a single AA system for a while.

Flares never work for me... if i use them i always get hit by a missile. The only way i can avoid missiles is by piloting like a maniac doing crazy turns and even then i sometimes get hit

Oh yeah I totally agree with that, it is indeed based on random chance multiplied by the number of flares deployed. Without a proper simulation of seeker heads, there's no way a Jets DLC could add anything substantially useful to the game.
  • Like 1

My point with flares is this. https://youtu.be/aYXkVOSUIy0.

Right now flares are static and follow a predetermined path. What I want is a dynamically produced path so they follow different paths. Also on the topic of flare firing rates can already be set by modding. Countermeasure deployment is the key. I typed it in my phone so sry for bad grammer

My point with flares is this. https://youtu.be/aYXkVOSUIy0.

Right now flares are static and follow a predetermined path. What I want is a dynamically produced path so they follow different paths. Also on the topic of flare firing rates can already be set by modding. Countermeasure deployment is the key. I typed it in my phone so sry for bad grammer

That doesn't do anything ingame tho... its just a visual change that 90% of the players wouldn't even notice. It serves no purpose...

Please fix the IFF mechanism of the radar. Currently IFF is done by finding which faction the vehicles belong to. For example, if a Blufor player flies a Wipeout, on his radar, a Wipeout flown by either an Opfor or Indie player will show up as a green triangle. It will only turn red after they are within 1km from each other.

Sent from my L50t using Tapatalk

Please fix the IFF mechanism of the radar. Currently IFF is done by finding which faction the vehicles belong to. For example, if a Blufor player flies a Wipeout, on his radar, a Wipeout flown by either an Opfor or Indie player will show up as a green triangle. It will only turn red after they are within 1km from each other.

I agree, this should be fixed. IFF shouldn't turn red just because you get close to an aircraft. Captured aircraft should show as their own faction no matter who's flying them. It's not like you have time to reconfigure the transponder when you hijack the plane off an enemy runway.

Really, the only thing that needs fixing is IFF being automatically checked (IRL, you need to lock onto a plane to query its IFF) and IFF applying to ground vehicles as well as air. That alone would make the "TAB-lock" system a lot less overpowered, as you wouldn't be able to easily tell between a destroyed, enemy or friendly target.

A solution to this would be to make you have to use the cockpit screens to identify and lock onto the targets

Nodunit and Franze's AH-64D mod is a perfect example of this. Although this mod goes into great detail, it can be simplified:

So the Fire Control System (FCS) has 3 modes = 360 degree Air targeting, 90 degree front ground targeting and TADS/PNVS visual targeting.

page_fcrgrnd.png

"3" is a line that will scan from left to right and back and will display the targets on screen when acquired. Every type of vehicle has its own distinctive icon. Note that these icons will not indicate if it's friendly or not. When you press the lock cycle button a square box will appear around the target that is currently locked on, and you can then proceed to fire if needed.

f16_rsc_fcr_tnk.png Tank/Tracked vehicle 
ah64_ada.png Air Defense Artillery 
f16_rsc_fcr_whl.png Wheeled vehicle 
f16_rsc_fcr_hc.png Helicopter 
f16_rsc_fcr_ac.png Aircraft 
f16_rsc_fcr_gen.png General/Unknown 
ah64_tnk_trk.png Current Target 
ah64_whl_pfz.png Target in current PFZ 
ownship_ca.png Own ship

This way you remove the anti-immersive square and rectangular boxes that the current lock-on system uses, and add a cool mechanic that'll make Target Acquisition a lot more interesting!

Lemme know what you guys think about this, credits to the creators of this awesome mod btw!

• Like 4

That doesn't do anything ingame tho... its just a visual change that 90% of the players wouldn't even notice. It serves no purpose...

Visuals make DLC' sell. More features more profit. As they improve the visuals they can also improve the functionality of them. I'm not saying thats the only thing that should be done. I would like to see mainly an advanced flight model for jets. The ability to remove all of my hud also and be able to rely on gages and cockpit hud. Plus the functionality to add in hud's into helmets. Like what the design for the F-35 is, with its optical and sensor package you can "see through that aircraft".

• Like 1

Actually, such a change would not be part of the DLC, as per BI policy. What makes BI DLCs sell are the premium assets and their eyecandy. Tweaks to flares would be available to everyone, DLC or not.

That's not my point if you make the visuals better more people would buy the dlc.

That's not my point if you make the visuals better more people would buy the dlc.

Depends on the visuals they "make better".

Flares is not something people will spend money on... New and Improved textures yes, randomized flares that almost no one even sees no

We should focus on features, and systems, not cosmetics. Those should be something that are there in the package. Randomization of flares is not needed when you're able to single dump. The way you then decide to dump flares becomes the "random" pattern you want. You can dump all at once by pressing it quick and pulling hard, or you can dump one, two, or three flares in a time scale of your choosing. This is what is needed, not some automatic computer generated Randomization of countermeasures.

Please consider making the lead indicator displayed on the HUD, not in the 3D world. Also, replace the ring, line and cross with a dynamic calculated reticle. Pilots need to maneuver the aircraft to put the ring on target in order to score a hit. Current configuration is unrealistic and way too easy.

We should focus on features, and systems, not cosmetics. Those should be something that are there in the package. Randomization of flares is not needed when you're able to single dump. The way you then decide to dump flares becomes the "random" pattern you want. You can dump all at once by pressing it quick and pulling hard, or you can dump one, two, or three flares in a time scale of your choosing. This is what is needed, not some automatic computer generated Randomization of countermeasures.

Original poster for flare randomization was thinking about how flare pattern is always exactly the same, like in the screenshot below.

arma_3_plane_flares_by_themuffin47-d80tl

While he wants it to be more like this.

012589b608f0288629409a12668fa5d4.jpg

Original poster for flare randomization was thinking about how flare pattern is always exactly the same, like in the screenshot below.

arma_3_plane_flares_by_themuffin47-d80tl

While he wants it to be more like this.

012589b608f0288629409a12668fa5d4.jpg

ahhh, i see what you're saying. I believe that could be done by making a sort of cycle that changes the velocity and angle at which the flare leaves the aircraft.

flareanglemin = "90";

flareanglemax = "120";

Or someshit (kind of like how the TGT camera can have angle restrictions), this however being 90degrees vertical down and the angle increases upwards towards the wings something like this I dunno 

cfgweapons already have a deviation (as in bulletspread) value. Flares are spawned outside of the regular projectile funcitonality i think. So all that needs to be added to the scripted/hardcoded deployment of the flare projectiles is a random deviation based on the config value.

What about a proper ejection system, like we can currently do through scripts but add it to the core engine? It still amazes me how someone flying fixed wing can vanilla eject and just magically fall out of the plane. I reckon a proper ejection including canopy blow off and seat ejection would be an awesome feature. Again, it can be done via scripts, why not make it engine based?  

Also what about a vanilla based loadout system for fixed wing? Would allow modders to apply a loadout editor straight to their aircraft. 

• Like 3

Mind you, semi-active radar homing at ArmA ranges is more or less a thing of the past. AIM-120 is fire and forget, except at BVR ranges where it uses SARH. As soon as it locks on with its own radar, the launch aircraft can switch targets without problems. Really, as far as AA missiles go, it's either IR guidance (which ArmA's locking system approximates somewhat) or active radar homing, both of which are very definitely fire and forget.

Now, for ground targets, it's a different story. There, modern weapons use either laser guidance (also done in ArmA, thought "locking onto the laser" makes no sense), GPS, IR or CLOS. None of them really need a radar (though some IR and CLOS systems can be slaved to it). The first two go to a designated location while the latter is guided by the gunner.

What I would like to see is something like ACE's implementation of Javelin for IR-guided missiles, overhauled laser locking and proper CLOS guidance. Also, making radar more realistic, so that locking onto a target is not as simple as pressing "T" a few times.

Just point out that some new air-ground weapons such as GBU-53 SDBII are capable of autonomous attacks

pilots simply need to define a area of attack by GPS/INS, select the weapon for Millimeter wave/IR (not sure if both are used together), then the weapon would seek out targets that fit into description by itself.

In theory, a single aircraft can deploy dozens of such weapons at once from a standoff distance, and let the weapons handle the rest in the manner of true fire and forget.

I due hope they give the AAF something as well. I understand they are supposed to be the outdated faction, but their current AA fighter is pretty sub-par compared to NATO and CSAT CAS planes. Even if it's not a jet, maybe a SAM system?

• Like 2

I due hope they give the AAF something as well. I understand they are supposed to be the outdated faction, but their current AA fighter is pretty sub-par compared to NATO and CSAT CAS planes. Even if it's not a jet, maybe a SAM system?

i wouldn't mind seeing them get the AA version of their IFV. But the Buzzard AA serves the role of Anti-Air already. I hope we get actual fighters though, and not some weird looking stealth A-10 thing with unrealistic intake designs and what not. 

i wouldn't mind seeing them get the AA version of their IFV. But the Buzzard AA serves the role of Anti-Air already. I hope we get actual fighters though, and not some weird looking stealth A-10 thing with unrealistic intake designs and what not.

The a10 was named the warthog because of it's supposed ugliness. Me personally I like it. It's standout.

The wipeout on the other hand. Is actually ugly as f. Hope this can be avoided.

• Like 1

I'd love to see an aircraft for syndicat as well.

I was hoping we'd get a propeller type attack plane in Tanoa, something like an A-29 Super Tucano. Would have been perfect for the setting.

a-29-super-tucano.jpg

• Like 1