i strongly agree with sberla101 that some improvments in view distance and distant object rendering are crucial. hopefully the 64 bit client can help with that...

• Like 1

Engine thrust is lost when you are damaged over 90% currently. Doesnt matter where the hit was, doesnt matter what hit it. Its pitiful (compared to Helicopters where every little bit has a component).

For really fast jets it might not be so jaring. They are more vulnerable. For slower flying planes (esp. VTOL) and especially for larger planes it is extremely bad  to have no differentiation. They can get hit by alot weaker weapons and there it matters where the stuff hits a lot more.

Another feature:

New Lock functionality, that requires retaining active lock for the missile to hit, otherwise it wanders off. We only have Fire&Forget in Arma.

I agree, except for the Fire and Forget nerf. Self guided and conventional laser guided munitions will probably be extinct come 2035. What would be amazing though is if they brought back Single Fire Countermeasure mode to Vanilla. This would provide an offset to the fire-forget we currently have. 

• Like 2

I agree, except for the Fire and Forget nerf. Self guided and conventional laser guided munitions will probably be extinct come 2035. What would be amazing though is if they brought back Single Fire Countermeasure mode to Vanilla. This would provide an offset to the fire-forget we currently have. 

"Nerf"? Are we talking about arma here or MLG Pro Counterstrike of Duty ? And who said anything about removing fire&forgte? I'm asking for additional technical features that will benefit the game, make it more diverse and interesting.

Also, just because something "is propably extinct" in 20 years, based on your expert opinion, means we should not include it? No i dont think so... Not only does it disregard the fact that many people also play contemporary and past scenarios, but also the fact that dumb rocket and bomb munition has been in use since their invention 60+ years ago and will remain so. Why? price. And the same will remain true for SACLOS and semi active guidance.  Not even talking about smaller countries using legacy stuff for decades after they have been phased out by "first world" militaries. And good luck locking onto an earth bunker with your IR/radar-homing missile.

• Like 3

Adopt a war thunder-esqu flight model and control scheme for jets and I'll be a happy camper. 

"Nerf"? Are we talking about arma here or MLG Pro Counterstrike of Duty ? And who said anything about removing fire&forgte? I'm asking for additional technical features that will benefit the game, make it more diverse and interesting.

Also, just because something "is propably extinct" in 20 years, based on your expert opinion, means we should not include it? No i dont think so... Not only does it disregard the fact that many people also play contemporary and past scenarios, but also the fact that dumb rocket and bomb munition has been in use since their invention 60+ years ago and will remain so. Why? price. And the same will remain true for SACLOS and semi active guidance.  Not even talking about smaller countries using legacy stuff for decades after they have been phased out by "first world" militaries. And good luck locking onto an earth bunker with your IR/radar-homing missile.

Never mentioned Counter strike, but hey, i guess we can jump to conclusions (though, saying nerf isn't far fetched for Arma because BI have had more "balance" emphasis on A3 than any previous title, under the banner game design). The way you worded it sounds as if you wanted to do away with lock on's. When jets are the topic, it's even more relevant that i picture what you mean is Air to Air missiles being essentially a circle you keep on the enemy aircraft and the missile follows what ever aircraft is in that circle. Never said i was an expert, but it's observation, as BVR will nearly be the only Air to Air combat NATO, or more specifically, the US, uses in the future, based on their promotionals. But since you've clarified ground munitions, that's completely fine. I don't mind some better form of ATG munitions similar to the way TOW, or rather Titan missiles are handled in the game. Pretty much keep what your aiming at in the crosshair and it guides to it. In fact, i think this is currently how the MQ-12 works with it's DAR's currently. 

I'd love a system similar to Mando Missile from ArmA 2. That group of scripts was the bomb.

• Like 1

that i picture what you mean is Air to Air missiles being essentially a circle you keep on the enemy aircraft and the missile follows what ever aircraft is in that circle.

Not really. What i mean is that the target needs to be remained locked until the missile hits. Which means that a jet without F&F weapons or any other vehicle really (e.g. attack heli) can't dispense all their payload willy nilly across the entire map (opposed to KA-52 in A2). You would have to keep the lock on the target until the missile hits. Only then can you fire a new missile. Well ok you could lock a target and fire all missiles on that single target. But the effectiveness of that "tactic" might not be that great.

You do have to keep the target in the arc of your weaponsystem IRL (radar or optical). Depending on what type etc the "circle" (more like 3D cone) is smaller or larger, but not just a tiny circle in your hud. Such weapons arent dogfight weapons anyway.

____

reminder: Reports on what is (likely) wrong with the current FM and ideas how to improve it:(nr 1 nr2 nr3) . A template for a force based new FM from-scratch is described here (is lacking pitch and yaw rotational drag description)

• Like 1

Mind you, semi-active radar homing at ArmA ranges is more or less a thing of the past. AIM-120 is fire and forget, except at BVR ranges where it uses SARH. As soon as it locks on with its own radar, the launch aircraft can switch targets without problems. Really, as far as AA missiles go, it's either IR guidance (which ArmA's locking system approximates somewhat) or active radar homing, both of which are very definitely fire and forget.

Now, for ground targets, it's a different story. There, modern weapons use either laser guidance (also done in ArmA, thought "locking onto the laser" makes no sense), GPS, IR or CLOS. None of them really need a radar (though some IR and CLOS systems can be slaved to it). The first two go to a designated location while the latter is guided by the gunner.

What I would like to see is something like ACE's implementation of Javelin for IR-guided missiles, overhauled laser locking and proper CLOS guidance. Also, making radar more realistic, so that locking onto a target is not as simple as pressing "T" a few times.

Personally, I want to see the electronic warfare aspect of Jets rehauled. Currently, the way RADAR is done is completely overpowered and unrealistic with RADAR just being a big sphere around the plane and instantly spotting everything within it. This allows for the tab lock spamming gameplay and makes most air operations feel like a grind. Not only by changing the RADAR on aircraft and vehicles to a more realistic cone simulation, they should add radar signatures so to make air combat more interesting and CAS missions more difficult as vehicles would be harder to spot on the RADR.

I think alongside this AA should get rehauled by maybe introducing SEAD and jamming capabilities while making AA more powerful to counter this.

One thing that is a bit odd right now is that there are RADAR stations on the terrains bu they serve no useful purpose Also airfield have no form of RADAR or AA defense meaning on missions you normally see a couple of IFV-6a Cheetahs or ZSU 39 Tigris' dotted about to simulate this. I think there should be some form of ground based radar, not even necessarily an object or vehicle though, which mission makers can place at airfield or RADAR sites so to allow for more creative and interesting missions, especially for pilots. It would also be nice for there to be a static SAM system to go alongside this so to truly simulate a high-risk air space, I would consider this going above and beyond though for BIO.

Like i said before i would be a happy guy with the solutions presented by RTDynamics for fixedwinglib: Built-in Maneuvers; Combat Maneuvers Library Add-on; Physics based flight dynamics; Electronic Warfare and Weapon Support.

That is the foundation for any great flight sim, also that VBS3 solutions are also great for long VD dogfight.

Priorities:

1- Physics

2- Engine upgrade for aerial combat

3- Damage

4- cockpit overhaul (too many useless screens) tied with 5 and 6

5- targeting systems

6- radar

Now this got me going. Since there's been heaps of additions to fixed wing, specifically the TGT Camera and it seems from the DLC that you want to bring the aircraft standards up, PLEASE PLEASE find a solution to this even if it means calling up VBS3 dudes and taking their tech :P As they seem to have it down pat from one of their update with camera stability etc. 

Yes I do understand that there is more to this kinda thing than just Arma, but if BI really want to bring aircraft up to a more substantial level then this issue needs to be at least addressed or looked at. 

In my opinion fully functional (I don't mean fully interactive) cockpit is a must for the jets DLC.
Working waypoint indicator and Heading indicator. Contrary to the current toy like Flight instruments we have in CAS. A-143 Buzzard especially.

Zero visibility landing, ILS approach.

Also, I would love to see new (optional) AFM for jets. With angle of attack and G-loads.

I know a lot of people would like to see big heavy cargo planes. But I would love to see air superiority fighters. (a lot of them)
IMO: A small terrain compared to fast jets is not really an issue. :)

Now this got me going. Since there's been heaps of additions to fixed wing, specifically the TGT Camera and it seems from the DLC that you want to bring the aircraft standards up, PLEASE PLEASE find a solution to this even if it means calling up VBS3 dudes and taking their tech :P As they seem to have it down pat from one of their update with camera stability etc. 

Yes I do understand that there is more to this kinda thing than just Arma, but if BI really want to bring aircraft up to a more substantial level then this issue needs to be at least addressed or looked at. 

This. Being gunner in an attack heli or using the camera in a drone is just a pain in the arse atm.

To be honest, I don't think fixed wing aircraft don't fit Arma too good. The maps are far too small and the maximum viewdistance is too small as well. In addition, you would usually need to be able to set multiple waypoints to a flightplan in order to achieve a good approach to target for CAS or a CAP alternatively. At least, that's my oppinion.

I hope jet pilots can have blackout and redout modeled.

With the current flight model you can barely get to a g load where you would experience blackout, without losing so much speed that you almost fall out of the air after every turn basically.

But it sure would be a nice addition (not too much work either).

I really don't get the argument for physics for jets. People asked for better helicopter flight, so we got the helicopter flight model. Then everybody simply shelved it and went back to vanilla flight. Of course you can argue it didn't have A or B or didn't get it right. But ultimately it was provided and people simply ignored it. I rather see BI flesh out the overall air experience. With ideas that people suggested such as more HUD improvements, and a better combat system for jets.

A big plus coming from this DLC  for me would be proper SAM or even modern AA gun platforms

• Like 1

The argument is that if you want fun dogfights you need the physics as they are and always have been forms of energy fighting, no energy physics means no fun.

Otherwise its just making missile platforms in the air. Now to me that is just no fun. I mean what fun is there in pushing a button faster.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that right now 2 player jet operations are boring as f*ck. It'd be nice to see the ability to assign the weapon systems to pilot/gunner. 

NOTE* If you haven't checked out or seen .kjus massive Targeting overhauls check out here (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/194434-arma-3-targeting-review-revision-2/)

I've kinda just gathered all the community requests and tried to put them into one neat little group. I've also tried to rank everything according to where it should be etc. Somewhat excludes stuff BI said their already doing, such as Radar and targeting etc. If I've made a mistake or forgotten something out I'll add it in. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Important

• Advanced Flight Model / Upgraded flight model for jets
  • Advanced Damage / Module damage to jets
  • Radar / Targeting overhaul
  • Better Controls for aircraft

Important

• Aircraft view distance + sub pixels + object rendering (VBS3 reference) 
  • TGT Camera stability
  • More working cockpit displays and instruments
  • HUDs that incorporate sensors (CCIP and Target boxes etc..) 
  • Cockpit animations
  • Mixed Ammunition
  • Access to sensor info via scripts 
  • Eventhandlers for weapons and Missiles
  • Aircraft landing wheels up (and not blowing up instantly) 
  • Autopilot addition for circling/loitering
  • G Forces

Additions

• Transport fixed wing
  • More variety of existing aircraft
  • Better jet sounds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this is good for the time being. Layout and idea from old mate over at the Tanks DLC thread who summed everything up like this. 

EDIT: While I'm it another great feature would be

• Aircraft suspension (I'm getting tired of having to land these big aircraft ever so gently since the suspension does count for anything or it doesn't exist all together. This could possibly be a AFM feature since it kinda works with helis, but you get the idea)
  • Differentiate between Chaff and Flare (Depends on the radar threat etc..) 
  • Like 3

Then everybody simply shelved it and went back to vanilla flight.

Did we? Nobody told me  :(

• Like 1

Not really. What i mean is that the target needs to be remained locked until the missile hits. Which means that a jet without F&F weapons or any other vehicle really (e.g. attack heli) can't dispense all their payload willy nilly across the entire map (opposed to KA-52 in A2). You would have to keep the lock on the target until the missile hits. Only then can you fire a new missile. Well ok you could lock a target and fire all missiles on that single target. But the effectiveness of that "tactic" might not be that great.

You do have to keep the target in the arc of your weaponsystem IRL (radar or optical). Depending on what type etc the "circle" (more like 3D cone) is smaller or larger, but not just a tiny circle in your hud. Such weapons arent dogfight weapons anyway.

____

reminder: Reports on what is (likely) wrong with the current FM and ideas how to improve it:(nr 1 nr2 nr3) . A template for a force based new FM from-scratch is described here (is lacking pitch and yaw rotational drag description)

ohhhhh, ok yeah. I like the sound of that. Currently people can lock like 10 targets simultaneously and wipe them off the map in seconds. Something to prevent that would be amazing.

I really don't get the argument for physics for jets. People asked for better helicopter flight, so we got the helicopter flight model. Then everybody simply shelved it and went back to vanilla flight.

False, I envoy it and use it a lot.

So do I. Helo AFM is actually easier to work with than "Simple" one. It's much more intuitive (well, at least if you know anything about how helos are supposed to behave) and allows for things like taxiiing and realistic landing techniques. Especially joystick users benefit a lot from it.

It also leads to less random explosions. The Heli VR tutorials in which you have to make a sliding landing with the little bird  always led to me exploding with the normal FM.