Sign in to follow this  
IndeedPete

Issues With Re-Texing The Splendid New Office Displays

'Nabend!

I'm currently messing around with re-texturing the new office stuff, namely the displays of the flatscreen TV and desktop PC introduced with the Helicopters DLC. Since there are hidden selections on exactly these parts I assume they're meant to be re-texted. It looks good up to a certain angle. While putting together a small office scenery I've noticed the objects below the displays shine through when applying a custom texture (I hope you can see it on the screenshots below):

2015-03-08_00002q1j9a.jpg 2015-03-08_00003hljim.jpg

My best guess is there's something wrong with my textures. I'm currently using 1024x512 textures (DTX1 & DTX5, not sure how TexView decides what to use), also tried a 16:9 version in 1920x1080 because those are technically widescreens. Latter didn't work at all.

Any other people experiencing this glitch? Might it be a bug?

Have you tried just using a JPEG rather than a PAA from texView?

I have a re textured PC monitor in a project I am working on... I use a JPEG file and have not seen this problem.

Edit: good looking office btw. I've always wanted to take the time to do something like that.

Edited by Fight9

Or is it just a reflection with the glass screen?

Maybe it's a splendid rvmat that's not configured well?

Hm, .jpeg doesn't seem to work either, what resolution do you use for your textures? It really depends on the angle, and sometimes the object's lighting is messed up as well (see the images below). I've often had the struggle with too shiny user textures, though. Especially with posters indoors.

Edit: good looking office btw. I've always wanted to take the time to do something like that.

Lovely, isn't it? I think placing these few objects pretty much cost me my afternoon, not to count the time that went into the whiteboard and poster textures. Can't wait for the 3D-Editor, placing objects (especially on tables or walls) is a true pain in the butt. Pays out though in immersion in my opinion:

2015-03-08_0000474utm.jpg 2015-03-08_00005lmu1e.jpg 2015-03-08_00006atulu.jpg 2015-03-08_000074auy9.jpg

...placing objects (especially on tables or walls) is a true pain in the butt...

BIS_fnc_spawnObjects might be able to help speed that process up. It gets the bounding box for an object (a table, perhaps), and then spawns an object on top of it (a computer, perhaps). You can change the offset, direction, and amount of objects in the function parameters.

Hm, .jpeg doesn't seem to work either, what resolution do you use for your textures? It really depends on the angle, and sometimes the object's lighting is messed up as well (see the images below). I've often had the struggle with too shiny user textures, though. Especially with posters indoors.

Lovely, isn't it? I think placing these few objects pretty much cost me my afternoon, not to count the time that went into the whiteboard and poster textures. Can't wait for the 3D-Editor, placing objects (especially on tables or walls) is a true pain in the butt. Pays out though in immersion in my opinion:

http://abload.de/thumb/2015-03-08_0000474utm.jpg http://abload.de/thumb/2015-03-08_00005lmu1e.jpg http://abload.de/thumb/2015-03-08_00006atulu.jpg http://abload.de/thumb/2015-03-08_000074auy9.jpg

haha well done well done

Love the A3 editor open on the screen in the HQ there! very clever

Do you have any cargo HQ compositions available for DL? If not I may have to do something similar myself, as a day-off fun project.

Any other people experiencing this glitch? Might it be a bug?

From what I know it's caused by ambient occlusion,

didn't check if this is still the case with HDAO on, but disabling AO should also disable that weird semi-transparency.

Has nothing to do with the file format of the texture (that would be really weird).

Cheers

@Fight9: Ah, thanks. I'm using attachTo now. Works well, still fiddling around with the parameters is time consuming. Will try spawnObjects.^^

@MDCCLXXVI: Thanks, unfortunately this map requires an addon that I haven't released yet. I'll try to make a copy of the WIP mission later, delete all units and mod stuff and then upload it here, stay tuned!

@GOM: Good one, thanks! I'll try to disable it and see if it changes anything.

It really was AO. If I disable it the effect is gone. First world PC problems, huh?^^

Here's a download of the map with several compositions. Removed all mod units, vehicles and signs. There's also a bunch of textures flying around. Feel free to mess with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0en96jp3vx9n62/Bureau13.Stratis.rar?dl=0

I fixed this issue affecting Land_PCSet02_Screen_F and Land_FlatTV_01_F. The fix should be live at next patch :-)

The problem of ambient occlusion being visible through the objects was caused by the lack of a certain property/flag in the Geometry LOD of the assets.

Thanks for notifying us :)

Edited by Mocane
  • Like 1