CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

16 minutes ago, TheForst4 said:

can you open and close the rear ramp on the boxer?

No it's not possible. 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, CUP said:

it has dual sights, you use the left ctrl+rmb hotkey (default) to switch between the two, the second one has ranging too, just like the rpg18

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh okey! Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, TheForst4 said:

can you open and close the rear ramp on the boxer?

I considered it, but since the external model already has some 70k tirangles, adding the interior would have brought it up to nearly 100.000 triangles, and I'm not sure the engine can handle that (well, it can, because I tried, but might slow down things on some machines substantially)

The effect will be that I will rework the interior now to be more detailed, it's been deliberately "low polygon" to be able to see it from outside, but since that is no longer on the table, the polygon budget just went up

1 hour ago, Varanon said:

...adding the interior would have brought it up to nearly 100.000 triangles, and I'm not sure the engine can handle that (well, it can, because I tried, but might slow down things on some machines substantially)
[...]

Yeah, it can handle it but Object Builder grinds to a halt. Had an incident where I accidentally imported a high poly model (roughly 120,000 triangles) and Object Builder threw a fit and started to cry. 

Certainly not worth the performance hit and the trade off for a purely aesthetic functionality probably isn't worth it other than for screenshots...

22 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

Yeah, it can handle it but Object Builder grinds to a halt. Had an incident where I accidentally imported a high poly model (roughly 120,000 triangles) and Object Builder threw a fit and started to cry. 

Certainly not worth the performance hit and the trade off for a purely aesthetic functionality probably isn't worth it other than for screenshots...

Exactly. It didn't add any gameplay value, only cost a lot of polygons. That's also why the turn out uses the LOD 0 and if you look down, you only see "blackness"

By the way, try blender with Alawrren's Blender Toolbox Addon... I do all work with that and never need to bother with Object Builder anymore

Ok guys there was an update again, to save you some time going to compile it again for you, heres a list of what was done

this is just based on what i am subbed to btw, so if there is changelogs missing thats the reason

other then what wasn't updated. Cheers!

Version 1.16.1 (23|Sep|2020)

@CUP Terrains - Core

Spoiler

IMPROVED:
* cup_terrains_ca_misc_e - Copied Hlidac_budka changes to Hlidac_budka_ep1.

OTHER:
* cup_terrains_buildings - & Adjusted ladder memory points.
* cup_terrains_ca_signs2 - & Fixed text on Novaya settlement sign.

@CUP Units

Spoiler

FIXED:
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_BAF - Fixed: Missing model (fixes T4158)
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_Delta - Fixed: Hidden Selections on Delta vest (fixes T4159)
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_Extra - Fixed. Direction of camo pattern on IOTV nut protector
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_Germany,People_Military_USArmy - Added generic hot thermals to Crye G3 uniforms
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_Germany,People_Military_USArmy - Added generic hot thermals to german uniforms, with also affects other uniforms using same models (paramilitary clothes etc.)
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_USArmy - protec helmets dont have any ballistic protection anymore
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_USArmy - Renamed MICH 2000 helmets in MARPAT camo to ECH
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_USMC - Fixed: Weighting on Eagle SPC vests (fixes T4071)

OTHER:
* CUP_Creatures_People_Military_Germany - & Fixed Panzerfaust class name
* CUP_Creatures_StaticWeapons - & Fixed M252 was missing from virtual garage

@CUP Vehicles

Spoiler

FIXED:
* CUP_AirVehicles_Su25 - vikhr missiles removed from the pool of weapons available on the su25, ref T4168
* CUP_TrackedVehicles_Bulldog - Fixed Turret shield rotation issue on Bulldog. (Fixes T4147)
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_Hilux - Fixed broken gunner camera elevation on Hilux with BTR-60 turret
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_Hilux - Fixed missing damage and destruction textures on the Hilux
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_S1203,UAZ,Vodnik - Fixed compartments on S2103
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_S1203,UAZ,Vodnik - Fixed gunner gunner was not vulnerable on Vodnik
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_UAZ - Fixed UAZ Metis gunner was not following gun

IMPROVED:
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_Hilux - Better damaged rvmats for Hilux
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_S1203,UAZ,Vodnik - Corrected back door on S2103
* CUP_WheeledVehicles_S1203,UAZ,Vodnik - Corrected intertia on UAZ DShKM

OTHER:

* CUP_Weapons_VehicleWeapons - & Fixed missing sound on RBS-70

@CUP Weapons

Spoiler

ADDED:
* CUP_Weapons_TEC9 - Added a Tec9 converted to full auto only

FIXED:
*CUP_Weapons_AA12,ACR,AK,AmmoBoxes,APILAS,AS50,AWM,Backpacks,Bizon,Bren2,Browning_HP,Colt1911,Compact,CZ75,CZ750,CZ805,Deagle,Duty,East_Attachments,Evo,Famas,FNFAL,G3,G36,Galil,Glock17,GrenadeLaunchers,Grenades,Groza,HK416,Huntingrifle,Igla,Items,Javelin,Kozlice,KSVK,L129,L85,LeeEnfield,M1014,M107,M110,M136,M14,M14_DMR,M16,M17,M24,M240,M249,M3A1,M47,M60E4,M72A6,M9,MAAWS,MAC10,Makarov,Metis_AT_13,MG3,MicroUZI,Mk23,Mk48,Mosin,MP5,MP7,NLAW,P90,Panzerfaust,PB_6P9,Phantom,PK,Put,Remington,Revolver,RPG18,RPG26,RPG7,RSASS,SA58,SA61,Saiga12K,SCAR,SMAW,SPAS12,StaticWeapons,Steyr,Stinger,Strela_2,SVD,TEC9,TT,UK59,VSS,WeaponsCore,West_Attachments,X95,XM8 - Fixed: USMC launcher box missing backpacks, empty launchers in all factions launcher crates, macro issues, recreated missing backwards compatibility
* CUP_Weapons_AK,FNFAL,G36,Glock17,M14,RPG7,Shield,TEC9,West_Attachments - Fixed bipod on G36A3 (grip), G36A3 (GL), G36KA3 (grip)
* CUP_Weapons_AmmoBoxes - Fixed: missing ammo crate config file
* CUP_Weapons_Backpacks - Fixed: Camo selection on ACR backpack (fixes T4156)

IMPROVED:
* CUP_Weapons_AK,FNFAL,G36,Glock17,M14,RPG7,Shield,TEC9,West_Attachments - Corrected ACE params for SA58, SA58 DMR, TEC-9, Glock 17, Ballistic Shield M9 - T3944
* CUP_Weapons_AK,FNFAL,G36,Glock17,M14,RPG7,Shield,TEC9,West_Attachments - Corrected mass for SA vz.58 (grip variants), Type 56-2, RPG-7V2, TEC-9 - T3944
* CUP_Weapons_AK,FNFAL,G36,Glock17,M14,RPG7,Shield,TEC9,West_Attachments - G36 3D variant optics now NVG compatible

REMOVED:

* CUP_Weapons_AK,FNFAL,G36,Glock17,M14,RPG7,Shield,TEC9,West_Attachments - Removed CBA scripted optics from AR-TEL
* CUP_Weapons_AmmoBoxes - Removed: obsolete backup files

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Guys, please consider avoiding introducing changes into already released objects, including default appearance and randomization.

Objectives that rely on certain object being of certain size or having certain appearance (e.g. vehicle being of certain color) may break because of such changes.

To clarify, here I'm talking specifically about enabling texture randomization on Skoda 1203 by default in the last patch.

Edited by semiconductor
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, semiconductor said:

Guys, please consider avoiding introducing changes into already released objects, including default appearance and randomization.

Objectives that rely on certain object being of certain size or having certain appearance (e.g. vehicle being of certain color) may break because of such changes.

To clarify, here I'm talking specifically about enabling texture randomization on Skoda 1203 by default in the last patch.

You do realize that this mindset is diametrically opposed to the CUP goals of bringing pre-A3 assets up to A3 standards, including A3 vehicle customization? 

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where addition of a vehicle color would break something... perhaps a mission "look for the blue car" or something like that, but that assumes of course the other colors would be there to begin with... /confused/

1 hour ago, hcpookie said:

perhaps a mission "look for the blue car" or something like that,

You even nailed the color, hah.

One of the objectives was finding the blue Skoda 1203 with a certain number plate. The mission was all good for a year or so but the latest patch enabled randomization on that particular model and I only noticed because I was un-doing the fix for the ammobox models. Even then I've only noticed that the car is in wrong after a while because it randomly got the correct color a few times.

The addition of new colors isn't the problem, problem is the change of state/functionality of object that is already being used. I know that backwards compatibility can be a real drag on any project but maybe we should be more considerate of the effects on existing stuff.

It's really unfortunate that most of the content that has been made for Arma 3 over the past seven years is in various stages of being broken because of all the mod patches/abandonment. It would be great if CUP would be able to provide a more or less stable platform when possible.

2 hours ago, semiconductor said:

It would be great if CUP would be able to provide a more or less stable platform when possible.

Seriously!.....shouldn't we just be grateful CUP still exist and evolve in tandem with Arma 3 who still have at least one major update still to come.  

• Like 3

On 9/26/2020 at 9:57 PM, semiconductor said:

it can probably be disabled, usually we use randomization scripts from BI usually so it can probably be turned off.

15 hours ago, semiconductor said:

It would be great if CUP would be able to provide a more or less stable platform when possible.

there were 35 pages worth of changes in this update, a car suddenly changing color is a rather miniscule issue in comparison, wouldnt you say?

15 hours ago, semiconductor said:

It's really unfortunate that most of the content that has been made for Arma 3 over the past seven years is in various stages of being broken because of all the mod patches/abandonment. It would be great if CUP would be able to provide a more or less stable platform when possible.

I would seriously not call a car changing color to be "broken". We do our best to keep classes that we removed in the game as scope=1 to avoid breaking missions. But we will not hesitate to do things we consider an improvement, and quite frankly, random color changes is not a big deal. It would be different if your mission didn't load anymore because we removed a class.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:57 PM, semiconductor said:

If BI randomization is used, then put this into Škoda's init field:

this setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false];

and possibly something like this to set the color:

[this, ["Blue", 1], true] call BIS_fnc_initVehicle;

4 hours ago, Chairborne said:

there were 35 pages worth of changes in this update, a car suddenly changing color is a rather miniscule issue in comparison, wouldnt you say?

In general I would agree but not in this case. I've spent a lot of time making and polishing that particular mission, including writing around 4k lines of scripts just to make it be a little bit more interesting than the average "go there, kill 10 guys" stuff so because of this I can't call it minuscule.

3 hours ago, Alwarren said:

It would be different if your mission didn't load anymore because we removed a class.

Yes but it breaks the mission's narrative which can be almost as bad. Right now the mission appears to be functional and actually works as expected sometimes, so some players could have experienced no issues while others could have been really confused at some point.

Point being that even the small changes like this one can be worth being weighted against the risk of breaking existing missions.

I'm not saying that CUP is doing a bad job of not breaking things up, just want to raise awareness of the more obscure problems such as this one.

@Janez Thanks, yea, I've fixed that one.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, semiconductor said:

In general I would agree but not in this case. I've spent a lot of time making and polishing that particular mission, including writing around 4k lines of scripts just to make it be a little bit more interesting than the average "go there, kill 10 guys" stuff so because of this I can't call it minuscule.

For one, I can assure you that the CUP team spent a lot more time working on the mod than you spent on your mission.

Secondly, there is a description.ext entry that prevents randomization for some or all vehicles, so sorry, if the color of this vehicle is a cornerstone of your mission design, then the one line that would prevent randomization would have made it future proof. Or just adding the particular variable to the init code. Sorry, but it is slightly ridiculous to think that just so that your mission won't break, we'll not introduce a feature that is standard in Arma 3 into a vehicle. We sure as hell won't ask your permission.

Sorry, but comments like these sometimes makes me wonder why I spent so much of my time working on this mod. And then I remember that most people appreciate it.

• Like 4

Point being that even the small changes like this one can be worth being weighted against the risk of breaking existing missions.

Well we did and concluded that a different color would not be very likely to break a lot of missions. Seems we were right. Case closed.

Yes but it breaks the mission's narrative which can be almost as bad. Right now the mission appears to be functional and actually works as expected sometimes, so some players could have experienced no issues while others could have been really confused at some point.

I'm not saying that CUP is doing a bad job of not breaking things up, just want to raise awareness of the more obscure problems such as this one.

@Janez Thanks, yea, I've fixed that one.

So you're complaining about the tiniest of changes to a single vehicle in regards to a mission you've "spent a lot of time polishing and writing 4000 lines of code for" - only for the fix to be copy-pasting 2 lines of code that disable the very change you're complaining about?

As already stated by others, this is such a minisucle, insignificant change to a massive mod that we already - as a community - have a way to circumvent readily, and easily, available with a quick Google search. This is really not that significant an issue to make this much of a fuzz about.

• Like 3

Let's make this easy and end it quick:

All mods released by the Community Upgrade Project are Work In Progress (WIP) and will be Subject of Change and most likely never be considered as "finished".
This means: whatever you do, keep in mind it might not work as before when we release a patch. Simple as it is.

As said before, we are maintaining backwards compatibility if possible, but that is pretty much for cass names only. Adding vanilla arma 3 features are not considered as part of backwards compatibility and are excluded.

Case closed...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, audiocustoms said:

Let's make this easy and end it quick:

All mods released by the Community Upgrade Project are Work In Progress (WIP) and will be Subject of Change and most likely never be considered as "finished".
This means: whatever you do, keep in mind it might not work as before when we release a patch. Simple as it is.

As said before, we are maintaining backwards compatibility if possible, but that is pretty much for cass names only. Adding vanilla arma 3 features are not considered as part of backwards compatibility and are excluded.

Case closed...

You all in CUP have done yeoman's work in porting Arma 2 model to Arma 3.  I gotta mention there are tons of tiny things which makes CUP very special. One of them is infantry idle animations. 

Every one of my scenarios that I post for all to see include CUP critters and CUP vehicles. 

Don't ever think your users don't appreciate the work you have done and continue to do.

Thank you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, klima said:

So you're complaining about

I strongly suggest you to read the very text you're quoting, by doing so you may actually get an idea of what I'm "complaining" about.

That'll save you from the tedious job of making stuff up. You won't be able to get on that high horse of yours though, so there's a downside, yea.

18 hours ago, Varanon said:

Sorry, but comments like these sometimes makes me wonder why I spent so much of my time working on this mod.

Comments like simple suggestions to consider a potential side effect of this type of changes? Are you sure there isn't an overreaction here? As someone who bought an actual Saiga-12 mostly to help with the textures for the CUP's model I assure you, there's no need to act all offended. I came only to say that there could be this particular effect of this particular change that may not be immediately obvious.

I understand that at this point there might a knee jerk reaction to any input regarding the project because of how the wider community tends to express their thoughts but not every comment is a rude unfounded criticism.

Are the British (MTP) team leaders supposed to have a randomization script or something similar? I've used CUP units as a base for some custom setups through the armoury, and all the units are fine except the team leaders, who revert to default CUP gear after launching the mission, or reopening the mission in the editor.

First, thanks for all your hard work!

Dont know if its been mentioned, but all of the C130 Hercules aircraft give the "Hit point error" when used in a mission. dont suppose there is a way to fix this?

On 10/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, jgaz-uk said:

First, thanks for all your hard work!

Dont know if its been mentioned, but all of the C130 Hercules aircraft give the "Hit point error" when used in a mission. dont suppose there is a way to fix this?

are you using GM too? that's a known GM issue