CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

Hmmm...

Well, I don't know how the Aegis guy (Night515) did it, but he's got his F-35s (although renamed to F-38 Thunderbolt...) working quite well without spontaneous combustion problems.

(for some evidence of that... see the pics I posted above... although the pics just show that it can taxi around the LHD, cram together in a hangar, and take lifts. I've found it to be less prone to spontaneous combustion than helicopters, at least helis using the AFM)

There seems to be a lot of duplication between his mod and CUP (F-35 port, Osprey port, C-130 port, ports of various infantry weapons), seems to me it makes sense to share some assets if both would agree.

He's currently working on European and Russian units... maybe he'd be interested in some CUP assets relating to that... and maybe CUP could get a VTOL F-35 (and thus I presume he could also make VTOL harriers)... his tropic reskin of arma 3 nato units are also nice (Shame that BI didn't do it in the first place)

...and maybe im interested in getting 1 billion dollars. If he's ok with sending me the money im sure we can find an agreement. :)

Also you put redundancy in a bad light then suggest we should share our assets creating even more redundancy, so not sure what that accomplishes.

• Like 3

Well, Arma mod assets generally aren't allowed to be monetized... so they aren't exactly like money.

As far as redundancy, redundancy isn't bad per se. However duplication of effort isn't very efficient. Night515 apparently has a working F-35 config using aircraftX & physX. Apparently CUP would like to have something like this, or at least an understanding of how to do it (Alwarren cited poor documentation for aircraft and PhysX - but VTOL is working on the Osprey... so... that seems strange to me). It seems reasonable to conclude that Night515 has something CUP would want to use... CUP has a lot more assets though... maybe they have something Night515 would want, and a deal could be made.

So maybe it would be less like asking someone to give you a billion for nothing, and more like selling 30,000 kilos of gold for a billion dollars...

Besides... sometimes modders, who are pressed for time and generally not paid for their work, give stuff away just to be nice... like how j0nes gave the AtlasLHD plus to CUP because he didn't have time to work on it anymore.

Or... just forget trading assets... maybe a simple conversation is all that is needed... I'm just saying, someone from CUP should talk to him if there is a desire to make the F-35 VTOL, but there is a problem

12 hours ago, Ex3B said:

Well, I don't know how the Aegis guy (Night515) did it

Probably how every PhysX config comes into life - by trial and error. The problem is that due to the sketchy documentation, you might end up with a perfectly working config, or you'll spend hours just trying to get the thing to work and eventually give up.

In the end, there wasn't enough time so we decided to leave it as is. It boils down to how much time you want to spend on it. Seeing how much work there still is (plane hitpoints, tank FCS, new HUD's just to name a few) there are invariably things that get pushed into the background. This is one of them. It's not a game breaker, the planes work and in reality most of these planes cannot VTOL with full combat load/fuel anyway, so other things take precedence. 

I sure wish the days on earth were longer than just 24 hours.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zacharypw said:

Are you going to import faces from arma 2 as well?

Not with a high priority. The faces in Arma 2 had a different layout. It might be possible to convert them, but as I said, priority is low for this item.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, sorry to bug you all, but I just just had a quick question about player voices.

I placed down a group of 6 BAF desert soldiers. Me and 5 playable AI all grouped to me. In the editor, it says my player (and teammates) has British voice 1. In game, all my AI teammates have British voices, but my player, no matter what BAF unit I place as playable and British voice I choose (I tried a few like section leader and team leader and accents 1 and 2), speaks in a generican American accent.

I’d assume this is a profile issue, but other mods such as RHS and 3CB I always inherit from the unit voice (British, Russian, etc) so I’m kind of lost.

I’m just wondering, is there any way to force my player to have the British voice? 

You can use setSpeaker command to override your default profile voice.

6 hours ago, dragon01 said:

You can use setSpeaker command to override your default profile voice.

I don’t mind using code to resolve the voice problem, but I’ve never had this happen. Is there some kind of bug I should report? I use mods all the time, with British, Russian, Farsi accents (etc) and I’ve never seen a situation where my playable unit didn’t inherit from the unit itself.

This is my first time playing as a CUP unit (have played against them a bunch, but never as them), so not totally sure what’s going on. Is this a known issue?

1 hour ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

This is my first time playing as a CUP unit (have played against them a bunch, but never as them), so not totally sure what’s going on. Is this a known issue?

TBH, I wouldn't know how to influence that. From what I gathered, the unit specifies the voice set (British, Russian, Farsi, etc) and usually gets a random voice from that category (or whatever is set as identity). With the player, the profile lists a specific voice that gets adapted to the base voice type of the unit.

I just tried for myself, and I get a standard voice as BAF as well, however weirdly enough it is a different voice. (Male01 I think). Investigating.

• Like 1

@Alwarren thanks for investigating. It personally doesn’t bother me what voice I get, even if it’s not the defined one (so no biggie there), it’s just I’d love it if it was at least a British voice of some kind when using a BAF unit. The American accent I’m getting feels out of place.

Again, not the biggest deal in the slightest, I’ve just never seen this happen before using faction mods around the forum (most of which I’m giving up because I love your mod so much! :) ).

Bug report:

-In the LAV-25, passenger seats 0, 4 and 5 have the same spot (front left). When I use this moveincargo [lav25, X] (with X=0, 4 or 5), the unit is at the same spot. Hence, the command {_x moveincargo "lav25"} foreach units groupname has a problem, as there are 2 units not in the vehicle.

Ok, in fact the seats 4 and 5 are turrets now.

So, here is my question: how to have the units seated and not stading up in the open?

Can you use the Warrior tracked armored vehicle family compass degree indicator with the shooter and commander?

9 hours ago, GamerOnkel said:

Can you use the Warrior tracked armored vehicle family compass degree indicator with the shooter and commander?

Probably needs a Resource update. Working on that, should be in a future CUPdate.

Could you guys add more stuff to the M60A3 in the future? Y'know, like packs, tarps, spare wheels and tracks, that sort of thing? It just looks a bit too clean now, imo. And maybe a dozer blade?

It is with great sadness that i announce my retirement from the Arma series.

Simply put, i don't enjoy this game as i used to anymore.

This experience with modding Arma was never to provide a service to the community first and foremost to me. I was always driven by my own desire to have content that i liked in game, the way i wanted it to be. And i can say that i succeeded in my goal (despite a few happy little accidents along the road), however long that lasted. Modding this game taught me new skills, introduced me to people with whom i shared the same passion, vision, and satisfaction of seeing something as big as CUP come to life.

Now i've come to a point where the time spent modding is just not justifiable by the enjoyment i get from playing the game anymore. I can't play the game once without finding at least three things that are either broken or that i dont like and want to change, but lack the time to do so, so i end up with a huge backlog that keeps growing and growing to a point i don't have time to do new things i like but instead have to chase after old bugs.

The other big reason that pushed me away was, well, Arma. The constant annoying issues (just saturday my plane crashed after the pilot hit "eject" by accident because of the same old crappy useraction menu), the unappealing content from the base game, the fact that for every bug fixed with a patch two new (and possibly more annoying) ones slipped in, the monetization debacle (and the subsequent time wasted chasing after people doing stuff they weren't supposed to do), often times the lack of documentation or the broken legacy features (took them 2+ years to fix amphibious vehicles, and now it seems to be broken again) slowly eroded my enjoyment. On top of this, a good chunk of the playerbase has left and i dont see them coming back until the next game is out, whenever that may be.

THIS BEING SAID, BI, despite however many poor choices they did, managed to keep this game alive for more than 4 years. Seeing them constantly add new features to the game and how much they cared about it is what puts them aside from all other companies in the industry. I have to admit trying to keep up with them was a bit of a chore at times, but i was happy with the final result because the game was moving in the right direction engine-wise. All of this came to the low, low price of €0, completely free of charge. I can't think of any other company going out of their way to do things like this 4+ years after game release. I also want to add that the few people from BI i've had the pleasure to deal with have always been extremely kind and supportive of what we did, always ready to answer our questions or going out of their way to see if our requests could be satisfied. And yes, Arma has tons of defects and issues, but it's also the only game to do what it does. I don't leave this game thinking that i'll find what arma has to offer somewhere else, because that just doesn't exist.

On a final note, i want to thank all of the people from the community who helped us and supported us, and all of the CUP Team in particular. It was great working with you, and sometimes i honestly regret not joining you guys sooner. Maybe things would have gone in a different way, but it is what it is. In the words of one of the head developers at BI "CUP went way beyond anyone's expectations" and i don't regret a single second spent here with you guys.

Maybe someday we'll meet again, i don't exclude coming back to Arma in the future if conditions change, but until then this is a good bye.

Have a good one. :drinking2:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 30
  • Sad 21

Well, that's a real shame. I know you'll be missed, dude.

Take care. :)

Too bad.

Good luck for your future plans anyway Chariborne, and thx for all the good work.

• Like 2

Thank you Chairborne for the work and effort you put into CUP. I think it is safe to say that things will never be the same without you around.

I hope we'll see you return one day.

(and one last time: FUCK PHYSX :) )

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Adios sir, hope all goes well for you. its a sad day for the ArmA modding community, but alas, good things have to come to an end sometime.

and thanks for the great work you and the CUP team did, your mods made ArmA 3 enjoyable with all the content you made. till next time i guess. until then. best of luck to your future endeavors!

• Like 2

I've spent hundreds of hours having a load of fun with CUP. Thank you so much for all your hard work Chairborne.

I know it must have been work too. All that editing of configs, model.cfgs, rvmats isn't any kind of entertainment.

So again, thank you very much, all the best with your future endeavours.

• Like 2

Sorry to see you go Chairborne although I understand a bit your reasons especially with the legacy bugs or the feeling that's it's made from Frankenstein parts.

Frankly the only reason why I still have A3 installed it's because of CUP and two other mods.

Thanks Clairborne! May your days be stressful and bugfree. Hopefully the next title and BI's future decisions keep modders around, it's a truly unique community. o7