CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

• Full availability of all source material under share-alike license (APL-SA).

In essence everyone can make use of the work to build mods on his own as long

as he provides credits, shares also his sources and keeps the same license

But where is it available?

FYI: Open source means that anybody can access the source-files! :D Thats why im confused.

It doesn't mean anybody can join the development team.

Open source doesn't mean the source is publicly available, it just means everyone can get access to the source if they want to. Just take a look at the Unreal Engine 4 - it is open source, too, however, you still have to register and be activated to get access to the source. The same applies for CUP.

• Like 1

No need to be confused. You just need to contact CUP and request access to the source, details are on their website and they can get you set up.

What's not open about that? The approach also ensures you are setup to share back your changes etc.

• Like 1

So could i get the access for the repository if i want to use the source files only for my own purposes?

As long as you adhere to the license (APL-SA), meaning:

• provide credits to the original author (in this case: CUP)
  • share your source as well (so potential improvements can be implemented back into the original source)
  • keep the license (publish your mod under APL-SA as well)
  • Like 2

Nevermind. This kind of demanding attitude is why I sometimes wonder why I even do this. 

• Like 3

Because we do not call ourselves "open-source" project?

And please don't point that Wikipedia at anyone, you could hurt someone.

Come on.

About Us

Community Upgrade Project is a mod by the community and for the community. The project is completely open source and any modder is welcome to join the team and contribute, share knowledge and build upon the CUP content.

http://cup-arma3.org/about

Thanks, Conen and Tupolov. You guys helped me alot. :)

EDIT:Just to explain myself. Im planning to forge all the assets from cup that are not overlaping with RHS assets. This project would be updated along with original CUP weapons, -vehicles and -units. Makes me think why not to share all the source files and restrict the access only to repository - but what do i know.

is completely open source and any modder is welcome to join the team and contribute,

So its important to understand how CUP are using the term open source here. Everyone is welcome to access the source and contribute back into the project :)

CUP doesn't have a system in place like github today that allows all and sundry to come by and download ten's of GB of source. Maybe that will happen one day. In the meantime, its very easy for people to contact CUP (like I did), request access and start submitting updates.

I highly recommend it to everyone as the team are friendly, knowledgable and are willing to share their expertise with all those willing to give a little something back (i.e. help).

• Like 1

EDIT:Just to explain myself. Im planning to forge all the assets from cup that are not overlaping with RHS assets. This project would be updated along with original CUP weapons, -vehicles and -units. Makes me think why not to share all the source files and restrict the access only to repository - but what do i know.

We demand that people that get access to the files adhere to our license. Which TheConen pointed out above. People get access if and only if they agree to that.

We demand that people that get access to the files adhere to our license. Which TheConen pointed out above. People get access if and only if they agree to that.

So to use source from this you must give all credit for work and keep all work open? Your work will be integrated if the community has seen its use, which will get it wider distribution in a pack. All credit will be given, which is the only real "value" in mod making as it's not a pay economy. For what reasons would this not be good? It seems to be a frame work to expand cooperation. It does seem to be constraining as you loose your own complete control, but ,as an example, having rules constraining yourself works in parliamentary procedure. Do the ends justify the means in this case? I vote yes.

Kind of idiotic considering that, aside from Exile, all those mods are on the WS already.

What do you mean by visor? The crosshairs?

Yes

The AH-6j should not have a HUD at all.

There is one when using the miniguns, but not with the rockets :(

Was browsing SW and found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=664770026

Not sure if they're supposed to be doing that so thought I'd let you know - cheers.

Kind of idiotic considering that, aside from Exile, all those mods are on the WS already.

A team of elite assassins has been dispatched. :ph34r:

Yes

There is one when using the miniguns, but not with the rockets :(

That shouldn't happen, i'll look into it.

• Like 1

Bin looking under CUP LHD for the useractio for the ramps of the welldeck but I really can't find it.

There's nothing in the LHD itself, and I can't find a sepperate welldeck part

Bin looking under CUP LHD for the useractio for the ramps of the welldeck but I really can't find it.

There's nothing in the LHD itself, and I can't find a sepperate welldeck part

Yeah, to be honest, sending someone just a link to a very basic video on YouTube is a bit (The word that was written here before was not meant to be here) annoying. Especially if the request comes from someone who stated who builds his first ever scenario. -,-

I've been digging in the files for the LHD though and found that: this animate ["door_welldeck", 1];this animate ["door_welldeck_2", 1];this animate ["door_welldeck_3", 1];

I'm not the best at scripting but I guess that lets the well deck door down in the beginning of the mission

P.s. This should do it instantly: this animate ["door_welldeck", 1,true];this animate ["door_welldeck_2", 1,true];this animate ["door_welldeck_3", 1, true];

• Like 1

Yeah, to be honest, sending someone just a link to a very basic video on YouTube is a bit (The word that was written here before was not meant to be here) annoying. Especially if the request comes from someone who stated who builds his first ever scenario. -,-

I've been digging in the files for the LHD though and found that: this animate ["door_welldeck", 1];this animate ["door_welldeck_2", 1];this animate ["door_welldeck_3", 1];

I'm not the best at scripting but I guess that lets the well deck door down in the beginning of the mission

P.s. This should do it instantly: this animate ["door_welldeck", 1,true];this animate ["door_welldeck_2", 1,true];this animate ["door_welldeck_3", 1, true];

Both of am don't work :(

Where did you find the useractions for the welldeck doors ?

It isn't under CUP_B_LHD etc or CUP_LHD

I depbo'ed the LHD file and found that in the config.cpp!

Gonna test myself now. Gimme a bit. I'm gonna write you a PM then!

Open source doesn't mean the source is publicly available, it just means everyone can get access to the source if they want to. Just take a look at the Unreal Engine 4 - it is open source, too, however, you still have to register and be activated to get access to the source. The same applies for CUP.

UNREAL ENGINE is NOT open source.

Overall I think CUP should remove all references of being open source just to make it clear to everyone what license they are using and how it works. Also consider writing down who and how people can get access to the source and what is required of them. Just so no one gets confused.

Nevermind. This kind of demanding attitude is why I sometimes wonder why I even do this. 

Having read these posts I have not seen any demanding attitudes from anyone. Just a confused user.

PS. Taking breaks does help with dealing with other people. Dont burn yourself out over nothing.

Overall I think CUP should remove all references of being open source just to make it clear to everyone what license they are using and how it works. Also consider writing down who and how people can get access to the source and what is required of them. Just so no one gets confused.

Yes, we discussed that already internal and come to the conclusion that the (new) website was phrased misleading and results in people demanding our source (yes, we really had PMs and messages DEMANDING we give them source access). We changed the text already and will push it live soon.

Just to be clear: We are willing to share our sources with everybody that can put it to good use. We just can't put them in public space as they are right now. The project grew since the beginning very rapidly and some stuff changed. We have a lot of content from community authors that gave us their stuff for APL-SA release but the explicit right to distribute source. Also we need a way to enforce the non-monetization rule and prevent people from creating derivatives that are incompatible with CUP.

At the moment we foresee a splitting in the playerbase when we release the CUP source: People will rip parts of CUP and release them as new packages (like "CUP without the russians" and stuff like that) without changing classnames. We fear that this will end in 100 incompatible and unofficial CUP versions around making nearly every server unplayable without the exact matching version.

When somebody wants to use CUP as starting point for another great mod, we are happily sharing our upgraded source with him. We did this before and we will continue so.

• Like 7

HEADS UP:

There's a hotfix for units inbound.

It's going live on steam within the hour, it will be available on other platforms too tomorrow-ish.

• Like 5