CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

Somehow I'm reminded of that one anthropology paper whose writer noted that even milsimmers could be inconsistent about where to apply realism.  :P Although now you presumably get the gist of why the EFV was supposed to be such a big deal... and as I've 'joked' in multiple threads, how by dropping a few kph and about half the passenger capacity the PLA was able to get higher water speeds than what an EFV-less USMC ended up with.

If you want HARDCORE REALISM, then next MP game you play, when you die, close the game and uninstall it.  THAT my friends is TRUE realism.  ;)

• Like 2

US squad leader mans a checkpoint outside Rasman, Takistan 

cEwEsL2.jpg

The process you guys make is unremarkable. Great work.
  • Like 1

If you want HARDCORE REALISM, then next MP game you play, when you die, close the game and uninstall it.  THAT my friends is TRUE realism.  ;)

Somewhere out there is a milsimmer who unironically wants this... although outside of milsim, someone's been there, done that. (Although the example focused on in the paper was STHUD.)

US squad leader mans a checkpoint outside Rasman, Takistan 

Still needs a bit of work, but it's looking good!

As someone who doesn't like RHS, I've been waiting for this!

Reminder that this poll is still going:

https://twitter.com/ChairborneIT/status/695846967495299072

Somehow I'm reminded of that one anthropology paper whose writer noted that even milsimmers could be inconsistent about where to apply realism.  :P Although now you presumably get the gist of why the EFV was supposed to be such a big deal... and as I've 'joked' in multiple threads, how by dropping a few kph and about half the passenger capacity the PLA was able to get higher water speeds than what an EFV-less USMC ended up with.

Simulations by definition are representations of reality stripped of unnecessary complications.

I don't think anyone benefits from keeping speeds THAT low.

Does the towing tractor  work I can't  move any of the planes or helicopter from the positions. Do I needed to add a towing script to allow it to work.

You need Leshrac's towing mod: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185694-leshs-towing-mod-04-alpha/page-2

No. It's made that way for gameplay reasons and if it's up to me it's going to stay that way.

I know it's faster (and it's still a mere 20km/h, there's trained people that run faster than that), but you can't expect players are willing to sit staring at a monitor doing nothing for 30 minutes while you do an amphibious landing. :)

Wow. Sounds like a rationale for having infantry move faster because walking is boring.

Wait, didn't BIS just do that with the Stamina update?

I understand that few players have the patience to wait 30 minutes travelling to the shore aboard any form of transport.

So why not let mission designers move the units closer to the AO?

I mean I never saw anyone saying "let's double the speed of this transport helicopter because the players will get bored".

Agreed.  The real life scenarios are nice for "just" a river crossing or something similar, but you definitely need faster speed in-game for amphib stuff.  Really do.  This is one realistic setting that simply can't work in-game.

I agree with the river crossing as all but the biggest rivers are only a few hundred meters wide, i.e. even at 10kph your APC will swim across in a minute or two.

So, as I explained above, I think it's best that units remain as realistic as possible.

Then leave it to the mission designers to start units closer to the coast.

Honestly how many amphibious operations have the units starting the customary 5 clicks off-shore?

AFAIK none.

Just as in the same way the there are few mission where air assault units start a customary 10+ clicks from the AO.

Wow. Sounds like a rationale for having infantry move faster because walking is boring.

I understand that few players have the patience to wait 30 minutes travelling to the shore aboard any form of transport.

So why not let mission designers move the units closer to the AO?

I mean I never saw anyone saying "let's double the speed of this transport helicopter because the players will get bored".

The transport helicopter usually doesn't take 30mins to get you to the AO, i have yet to see a map big enough to take more than 5 minutes to be crossed entirely even with the slowest helicopter.

When you're around walking you're still interacting with the game, scanning around you for enemies, talking with your squad mates and such.

When you're sitting in the back of an armored vehicle you're not doing any of this, you're just watching idle the interiors of a vehicle waiting for it to cross a strip of water.

If moving units closer to the shore is that simple then i guess it is also moving them further away to balance this change. :)

• Like 3

No they didn't.

What they did with Stamina was make soldier loadout have no impact on the game, so that overloading yourself has no repercussions in the game.

Making a transport slightly faster (and let's face it, 20km/h is still snail speed) does not make anything have no impact, it just makes a potentially boring phase slightly shorter.

These two things are entirely different. A BRDM-2 is not a speedboat now. It just is a bit faster than usual.

• Like 4

Does the towing tractor work on LHD I can't  move any of the planes or helicopters from the positions. Do I needed to add a towing script to allow it to work.  Please tell :)

So, as I explained above, I think it's best that units remain as realistic as possible.

Yep, along with their infinite respawns after dying in the game, a God-like map that shows you everything you care to know about the environment, a weapon that NEVER suffers jams or mechanical breakdowns, comms that are never interrrupted, never lose signal, never fail to find the other end of the conversation, "touch me and heal me" medical simulation, "touch me and fix me" engineer/mechanic simulation, and did I mention you don't really DIE when in the game, just get to magically respawn like a Disney character?

Yep, let's focus on the vehicles' water speed!  :p

The transport helicopter usually doesn't take 30mins to get you to the AO, i have yet to see a map big enough to take more than 5 minutes to be crossed entirely even with the slowest helicopter.

When you're around walking you're still interacting with the game, scanning around you for enemies, talking with your squad mates and such.

When you're sitting in the back of an armored vehicle you're not doing any of this, you're just watching idle the interiors of a vehicle waiting for it to cross a strip of water.

If moving units closer to the shore is that simple then i guess it is also moving them further away to balance this change. :)

Really? Crossing a 40x40 map would take 10 mins at 150 knots. But I concede that point as most maps are smaller.

Equally you've made a good point about the interaction.

But I fail to understand your point about moving troops away.

My point was/is that I think it's best if developers aim for realism (where possible). Then let mission designs adapt their scenarios to take into account these parameters. Rather than the other way round.

No they didn't.

What they did with Stamina was make soldier loadout have no impact on the game, so that overloading yourself has no repercussions in the game.

Making a transport slightly faster (and let's face it, 20km/h is still snail speed) does not make anything have no impact, it just makes a potentially boring phase slightly shorter.

These two things are entirely different. A BRDM-2 is not a speedboat now. It just is a bit faster than usual.

I thought that when BIS replaced the Fatigue mechanic with the Stamina one, it resulted in soldiers being able to jog without any penalty, i.e. forever, thereby doubling a soldier's speed. Intentionally or not, this has rendered walking pointless as a form of transport. This is an example of developers changing reality to make the game more fun only for it to have significant consequences. Honestly, I don't think that I'm alone in believing that BIS really screwed the pooch on that update.

With regard to modifying the BDRM-2 waterbourne speed:

i) doubling a transport's speed is not what I'd call "slightly". I mean imagine crossing a 150m wide river. At 20kph that only take 30 secs, whereas at 10kph, that takes 1 minute. 30 secs longer doesn't sound much, unless you're under fire, in which case it can see like an eternity.

ii) raises the question of coherency, i.e. has the water-bourne speed of all other amphibious vehicles been doubled? e.g. AAV

I'm not trying to prove that you're wrong. I'm simply trying to explore the arguments to see if all the angles have been thought through.

Yep, along with their infinite respawns after dying in the game, a God-like map that shows you everything you care to know about the environment, a weapon that NEVER suffers jams or mechanical breakdowns, comms that are never interrrupted, never lose signal, never fail to find the other end of the conversation, "touch me and heal me" medical simulation, "touch me and fix me" engineer/mechanic simulation, and did I mention you don't really DIE when in the game, just get to magically respawn like a Disney character?

Yep, let's focus on the vehicles' water speed!  :P

Let the mission designers decide. There are mission with no re-spawn. As for the other aspects, I agree with you but most of those have not been implemented because it would require significant development and/or impact performance. Here is a change that is neither.

Really? Crossing a 40x40 map would take 10 mins at 150 knots. But I concede that point as most maps are smaller.

Equally you've made a good point about the interaction.

But I fail to understand your point about moving troops away.

My point was/is that I think it's best if developers aim for realism (where possible). Then let mission designs adapt their scenarios to take into account these parameters. Rather than the other way round.

I thought that when BIS replaced the Fatigue mechanic with the Stamina one, it resulted in soldiers being able to jog without any penalty, i.e. forever, thereby doubling a soldier's speed. Intentionally or not, this has rendered walking pointless as a form of transport. This is an example of developers changing reality to make the game more fun only for it to have significant consequences. Honestly, I don't think that I'm alone in believing that BIS really screwed the pooch on that update.

With regard to modifying the BDRM-2 waterbourne speed:

i) doubling a transport's speed is not what I'd call "slightly". I mean imagine crossing a 150m wide river. At 20kph that only take 30 secs, whereas at 10kph, that takes 1 minute. 30 secs longer doesn't sound much, unless you're under fire, in which case it can see like an eternity.

ii) raises the question of coherency, i.e. has the water-bourne speed of all other amphibious vehicles been doubled? e.g. AAV

I'm not trying to prove that you're wrong. I'm simply trying to explore the arguments to see if all the angles have been thought through.

Nothing prohibits mission designers to take into account the new parameters either.

If anything this allows for more realistic deployment distances without having to sit in an AAV for 30 minutes.

I can tell you this from a mission maker prospective too since i had to work around this myself.

Slow water speed is a pointless complication that cripples many mission concepts.

20Km/h is a balanced and reasonable speed.

Like I said previously, sitting in an AAV for longer than an actual decent firefight is boring. There has to be a compromise between realism and gameplay. The water speed is such an example. Can we please move on? :) 

• Like 5

Indeed, we don't need a second stamina thread, we're talking about 11 vs. 20 km/h here, absolutely no reason to get into a pointless discussion about it.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Hi,

Using most recent CUP packs in A3 1.56 RC, I get this minor error:

10:51:40 Warning Message: Picture logo_cup_small_ca.paa not found

Mods used (from RPT):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@CBA_A3
10:51:27                                 CUP Vehicles - 1.2 |        @CUP_Vehicles |      false |  
10:51:27                                    CUP Units 1.2.1 |           @CUP_Units |      false | 
10:51:27                                    CUP Weapons 1.5 |         @CUP_Weapons |      false |     
10:51:27                          CUP Terrains - Full 1.0.1 |        @CUP_Terrains |      false |  

Yes we're aware of that, however you can skip it without problems, it's just a small menu icon missing.

Let the mission designers decide.

You could write a config patch for yourself instead of telling the developers to do it your way ;)

Hi,

Using most recent CUP packs in A3 1.56 RC, I get this minor error:

10:51:40 Warning Message: Picture logo_cup_small_ca.paa not found

Mods used (from RPT):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@CBA_A3
10:51:27                                 CUP Vehicles - 1.2 |        @CUP_Vehicles |      false |  
10:51:27                                    CUP Units 1.2.1 |           @CUP_Units |      false | 
10:51:27                                    CUP Weapons 1.5 |         @CUP_Weapons |      false |     
10:51:27                          CUP Terrains - Full 1.0.1 |        @CUP_Terrains |      false |  

Just edit mod.cpp file in @CUP_Units folder like this and you will not have that error any more

name = "CUP Units 1.2.1";
picture = "\CUP\Creatures\People\CUP_Creatures_People_Core\ui\logo_cup_ca.paa";
actionName = "Website";
action = "http://cup-arma3.org";
logo = "\CUP\Creatures\People\CUP_Creatures_People_Core\ui\logo_cup_ca_small.paa";
logoOver = "\CUP\Creatures\People\CUP_Creatures_People_Core\ui\logo_cup_ca_small.paa";
tooltip = "Community Upgrade Project Units 1.2.1";
tooltipOwned = "Community Upgrade Project Units 1.2.1";
overview = "The Community Upgrade Project aims at importing all released assets from previous Arma games into Arma 3, upgraded to fit closely with the quality and standards of the ARma 3 assets. They're not a straight port, but individual items taken and upgraded to a new level. At the same time, CUP provides these assets as a resource for modders.";
author = "The CUP Team";
overviewPicture = "\CUP\Creatures\People\CUP_Creatures_People_Core\ui\logo_cup_ca.paa";
overviewText = "Community Upgrade Project Units 1.2.1";
overviewFootnote = "";
  • Like 2

Maybe the server is not running the mods or the keys aren't properly installed, or maybe it's your download that is corrupted. We've had several people with corrupt downloads from steam WS.

:ph34r:     So,  I got the mod CupTerrains-maps  from ArmAholiC(instead of steam). Installed and Launched game, attempted join server(using CUP too)  and SAME  error.   Keys are not accepted by server for CUPTerrains-Maps   Bohemia,Afghan,BootCamp.

This Means The Rest of CUP is Fine and these 3 PBOS are Corrupted. ( I will remove these 3 and see if Maps still Work at Launch) :ph34r: . 

Yes Indeed.  AND   removing  pbos only made more room for the error box to list additional -maps that are not "properly signed as well.

1 thing I can do is join a different CUP-mod server.  (will look in a minute).  :ph34r:

:D   So, what I did was use ArmA3synch and got the mods from the servers repository,  (german server). The download was huge, so there was quite a difference

in the mods . I never got a join game until I did that. What could make them so different is a wide open subject, However it works fine now. :D

I dunno if servers "mirrors" could have caused the mismatch in the write, But some movies are regionally coded and you cant just play them wherever...without

hotrodding  your player..  LOL :wub:

I second Takistani Civilians (forgot who mentioned it above). All the pieces are there, so why not?

• Like 2

I found one odd bit of behavior. If I put an empty Ka-50 on the map, and then walk up and get into it, it jumps in the air and does a back flip, then explodes. None of the other helos did that from testing. Does anyone experience this? Thanks.