CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

Will it get a retexture? The Arma 2 textures are......well.....let's just say they're not the best. 

Will it get a retexture? The Arma 2 textures are......well.....let's just say they're not the best. 

In a word, yes.

Also, this... VTOL and STOL on a single aircraft, not achievable in Vanilla (particularly from LHD).

• Like 5

In a word, yes.

Also, this... VTOL and STOL on a single aircraft, not achievable in Vanilla (particularly from LHD).

All this will be in the next update? :wub:

CUP it is becoming a powerful thing!

No :)

Ok then. Yes. Yes it will.

Kudos to Chairborne, Varanon, Al Warren, Kllrt, NeoArmageddon and the rest of the staff for doing an awesome job getting momentum behind what is a pretty big effort!

• Like 6

I stand corrected. You can do VTOL and STOL with vanilla aircraft - but the half vertical/half STOL is nowhere near as nice as a conventional STO we now have :)

• Like 2

I stand corrected. You can do VTOL and STOL with vanilla aircraft - but the half vertical/half STOL is nowhere near as nice as a conventional STO we now have :)

like the Harrier? 

like the Harrier? 

Harrier can't take off vertically (in game). It can land vertically but that is technically a STOVL aircraft (short take off vertical landing).

F35B is a V/STOL - Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing. I guess MV22 can do both too (although I'm not sure how much STO is used with the MV22), technically its VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing).

The game has a couple of options for the config setting vtol. The simulation differs between simulation = "airplane" and "airplanex". AirplaneX sim has issues with landing on carriers so we're not using it.

vtol = 0 is CTOL (Conventional Take Off and Landing)

vtol = 1 (V/STOL). Most aircraft won't have enough thrust (calculated via an aircraft's maxspeed) to take off vertically, therefore Arma 3 switches them to STOVL mode (no vertical takeoff). It appears that with this setting (1) Arma 3 really won't let you take off vertically (set autohover on and you go nowhere). You need to get some forward momentum before switching to autohover on and then executing a short take off. You can of course take off conventionally.

vtol = 2 Arma 3 actually uses this setting if it calculates a VTOL aircraft cannot take off vertically (STOVL). However, if set in config and you invoke a takeoff using autohover on, you will execute a very short take off, but not quite vertical. You can of course take off conventionally.

vtol = 3 Will force Arma 3 to "boost" the thrust of any aircraft so that it can take off vertically no matter what (VTOL). Any aircraft on land has it thrust vector set so thrust is applied vertically, increase thrust and you will execute slow short take off. Attempt to take off with auto hover on and you will indeed vertically take off. The general thrust of an aircraft with setting 3 seems to be greatly increased to ensure the aircraft gets airborne. "Conventional" take off isn't really possible as thrust vector is fixed downwards when landed.

For the F35-B, i guess setting 3 is what should be used, but it just didn't feel right. The overboosted easy VTOL, fixed downward nozzle and the clumsy short take off felt wrong. By implementing a vertical takeoff function with vtol = 2 setting, allows an aircraft to take off vertically, short take off or conventional take-off. No engine induced BOOST, so vertical take off is difficult. This felt right for the F35B.

• Like 1

Anyway, thanks to NeoArmageddon, some nice SFX for ejection seat for CUP aircraft.

• Like 4

Guys,i just want to say thanks for having a nice feature I always wanted. Launchers like the SMAW and RPG18 which fold up! I always wanted that and now having used CUP weapons I see you have done that :) Thanks guys.

hello, thank you all for your work on this.

With steamworkshop, if you release an update will it re-download the whole mod or will it just download the files you changed? And you may guess wildly to answer this; what is the likely file-size for e.g. a terrain update?

Some of my friends are on dumb mobile limited capacity internet and I'm trying to find the optimal way for us to use CUP.

If you have limited download content or low internet speed, the best way to get CUP is the Steam Workshop. It has incredible good compression and delta-patching (meaning that it will only download the files that have been changed).

Regarding the CUP Terrains update: That depends on how much has changed. If something in every file has changed, you will have to redownload whole CUP Terrains again. If only a few files have changed, we usually release patch-only versions with only the changed files. We really can't tell how big those updates will be.

I'd like to translate a few things from the stringtables in my own language,does anyone know where can i 'commit' some modifies?

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

I'd like to translate a few things from the stringtables in my own language,does anyone know where can i 'commit' some modifies?

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

You have to join the project to do such changes, come around our Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/0WqE6NaD5yLCKYcp

• Like 2

Now just who might these gentleman be? 

10EFE1A24866E934A2E765208FC12EEC2FE07FC7

• Like 5

Partisans from QG?

Can't really tell cause of gaffer prolly got drunk and slacked the lighting  ;)

Yup! 43A69F90182D7EE582A33866BD51C31197B5B154

Made up from former members of the SLA and disgruntled locals angry at the Sahrani Queen for her harsh policies against the former North. The mean wear older uniforms from private purchase or stolen from former SLA bases. Likewise their arsenal is made up of stolen weaponry. Squad leaders are usually SLA members who escaped punishment. They aren't afraid to wear (the trousers at least) uniform of their former army. 

In SLA news. 

D22EF10584CA16A77F0108FA8B6896C2B5DFBF0AI ported the 6b3 vest the CDF wore in Arma 2 as a make shift flak vest. This vests are rare and are mainly issued to squad leaders and other front line units who'll need protection the most. Such as riflemen and engineers. 

Oh and squad leaders now have a nice cap to wear!

• Like 3

You are doing fantastic work, slatts! I can't wait to play with what you and the rest of the team are working on.

slatts, Great work.6B3 and CDF cap is done, what about CDF troops?

I would like the CDF too, but I'd imagine it is a lot more work to port all their gear, particularly their uniform. That's why the SLA are mostly using reskined Takistani gear.

• Like 1

Anyway, thanks to NeoArmageddon, some nice SFX for ejection seat for CUP aircraft.

Hey, have you tested the ejection on a big MP server? My community once had a locality issue with an ejection script that caused the whole server to crash mid-game. 

Othervise, looks and sounds awesome! :)

You are doing fantastic work, slatts! I can't wait to play with what you and the rest of the team are working on.

I would like the CDF too, but I'd imagine it is a lot more work to port all their gear, particularly their uniform. That's why the SLA are mostly using reskined Takistani gear.

They've ported USMC gear and uniform, i think it was much harder work.

They've ported USMC gear and uniform, i think it was much harder work.

It's all relative. Some team members might not have the time, coupled with how complex the original model is and how much work it needs. :)  

• Like 2

I like the shininess in the leather boots, looks great!