anthariel

[Terrain] Kandahar Province - WIP

Yes of course it will be part of an included pbo (every mission maker can use it as function) :)

Wow this is flatout amazing! AHHHH can't wait!!!! Are you sure this is made with arma 3 tools? lol looks like you used god's hands to make this haha. Outstanding job so far man!

Well, the Heightmap is made on L3DT Pro. But yes indeeded the terrain is fully made on Terrain Builder and Bulldozer :)

A lot of people says "Arma3Tools is crappy and sucks " and wait for "Ultra modern 3D Editor with full assist to make a terrain with 80% of randomization " but for me, you need to take the time to place your objects manualy and test your terrain each 250m in-game with IA and players if it's fessable.

Of course you also need to learn the in-real-life geographical data and make a lot of sketchs (paper or directly in game).

For a lot of people making a terrain is just a config.cpp with 10.000 objects, but you need to learn a lot before that you start a terrain, I think that this think kill a lot of community terrain in Arma (and others game.

It's not my irl job, i'm not a professionnal terrain maker but i think that after 5 years of making terrain on several engine i'm maybe not wrong.

Well, the Heightmap is made on L3DT Pro. But yes indeeded the terrain is fully made on Terrain Builder and Bulldozer :)

A lot of people says "Arma3Tools is crappy and sucks " and wait for "Ultra modern 3D Editor with full assist to make a terrain with 80% of randomization " but for me, you need to take the time to place your objects manualy and test your terrain each 250m in-game with IA and players if it's fessable.

Of course you also need to learn the in-real-life geographical data and make a lot of sketchs (paper or directly in game).

For a lot of people making a terrain is just a config.cpp with 10.000 objects, but you need to learn a lot before that you start a terrain, I think that this think kill a lot of community terrain in Arma (and others game.

It's not my irl job, i'm not a professionnal terrain maker but i think that after 5 years of making terrain on several engine i'm maybe not wrong.

Yes indeed you do need to learn real life geographical data. Arma 3 tools are not well "the best" but there pretty fun to use and train with. Just getting into island making, and just finished my first textured mod. It's quite a dumb mod and not useful but well.. it was a test lol. I swear though if only there was something like MCC for map building with the Xcam template. It's sorta difficult when you work on a building and it has a bunch of crap texture errors then you gotta preview and see what happened to that building, fix it, and all this other stuff.

May I ask though, have you ever been interested in creating Jalabad? (Lone survivor mountains). I don't see many cliff/large mountain maps or afghanistan based map with huge mountains and cliffs. (except really the north west of Sagin)

This looks very interesting! I hope to see a magnificent trailer like for Tilos :)

@P_Shiddy, Thanks you :) A Trailer? Of course, Soonâ„¢.

@Jakeryan760, Thanks you a lot!

@MrHuachuca, Well, Kandahar Province have 2 big mountains with an average of ~300m above the sea level.

You can also see by clicking here the release goals for the different versions of the map

Hope you haven't given up on this project!

I hope not too, hanging to see how this turns out and also tilos map, his work is so detailed!

Looks nice, man. What part of Kandahar are you basing this on?

It's been my dream in Arma to make an authentic Kandahar City map from memory/personal experience and extensive research, but I've shelved that for now since that will take extensive optimization to be playable.

Hope you haven't given up on this project!

Hi, no of course! But for the moment I've a lot of project (3 maps and 1 serious project).

Looks nice, man. What part of Kandahar are you basing this on?

It's been my dream in Arma to make an authentic Kandahar City map from memory/personal experience and extensive research, but I've shelved that for now since that will take extensive optimization to be playable.

Well, unfortunatly build the city of Kandahar in Arma will be a self-murder for a lot of thing (optimization, time and interest) but the location of this map is realy close of Kandahar (~6km) here the IRL location if you need: https://www.google.be/maps/place/Kandah%C3%A2r,+Afghanistan/@31.7075711,65.7095997,3835m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x3ed671baa0e28837:0x2759b21c9042aa75?hl=fr

I hear you man. I might as well wait for Arma 4 to even attempt it. :D

It looks like you're doing the upper Arghandab River Valley, north of the District Center. It's actually right outside of the area I was going to cover (albeit I'd be doing at least 1/5 scale from real life terrain). Never went across the Arghandab River, but I'm familiar with the area you're doing. It's a shame you're not doing a little further south as the District Center and Baba Wali Shrine are some really interesting pieces of architecture that would make for a very unique battleground, but that would also make it even more challenging than it has to be.

Could we have a map of Chernarus size in your future projects? :D

Great map !! :p

@Praday_X7, the new Tilos is ~30x30km ;)

New WORK-IN-PROGRESS Video available, probably the last before the trailer and the alpha release :)

Nice job Anthariel ! Can't wait to get my boots on this one !

Anthariel why showcase in dark? Are you trying to hide something ? :rolleyes:

PS

I like all your maps and I'm sure I will like this map as well.

@ElTyranos : Thanks a lot, i'm pretty sure that the talbians are waiting for you :D

@Nikiforos : Thanks dude! Noooo I don't hide anything :rolleyes:

Seriously, some parts of the map are not completely finished and I think that a night showcase shows the immersion that the terrain can brings!

The trailer will have... more colorized images don't worry :cool:

Edited by Anthariel

Dat music!

What music did you use on that video bro?(The rock song) And wow,awesome looking map xD

Thanks!

It's a music from the Marksmen DLC (is name is This Is War Marksmen Remix) :)

Edited by Anthariel

Hello everyone!

Little news, I'll reveal the Alpha trailer this Friday (15th) with... the first alpha release of Kandahar Province.

This alpha will brings a little area (but very good for PVP or Spec ops) with a size of about 2.5km x 4.5km. (1/3 of the map)

The following areas will be available:

Village of Jelavor,

Village of Mazraeh Ye Abbas,

Village of Kirana,

FOB of Frontenac,

for a total number of 53,000 manually placed object.

I recall that Kandahar Province will need JBAD Buildings to work properly, you can download it here if you want (~1.3Gb) : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183222-JBAD-Release-Thread

Meanwhile, Kandahar Province will take about ~750mb on your hardrive (~2.05Gb whith JBAD) and will be published under ALP-SA license (more information here: http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license-share-alike).

Here are some images from the trailer :cool: : http://imgur.com/a/MUK1n#0

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Anthariel

Nice! The Arghandab river is hard to do because it is so shallow at times and Arma does not seem to like shallow rivers like that. Great work on trying to capture it. It would be a nifty idea, if it's something you wanted to pursue, to have a separate "winter" version of the map with a higher water level and some flooding in low lying street areas. I know that's a bit of a challenge to do with Arma, but I think a cool idea because Kandahar really does look vastly different between the winter and summer. Either way, kudos and good work.

Thank you! The average depth of this river is -1.225 (ingame), so the soldiers can crossing it.

However, sometimes the river down to -5m :)

Also, yes a winter version could be very cool, maybe later!

Edited by Anthariel

Cant wait to see the trailer and the Alpha of the map. Nice work!