anthariel

[Terrain] Kandahar Province - WIP

Hello everyone.

Since i've started Tilos (my first island) I've always wanted to make a Afghan Terrain, so i've recently paused Tilos and started a new terrain, Kandahar Province.

So first of all, click here to see some of work in progress screenshots.

I've started this map since the 21 February, so this is a very early work-in-progress images you can also see typography of the terrain by clicking here.

About the terrain, Kandahar Province is a terrain (8kmx8km) based in the Kandahar Province in Afghanistan (obviously) with some cool feature :

• Mountains caves
  • Desert part
  • Forest part
  • River through villages
  • Arghandab River
  • High level of details
  • Reworked Wild-Life (awesome with JSRS3: Dragon Fyre)
  • Manually placed object (no automatic generator)

I'll make a video in few week to show more in-game footage.

Feel free to give your opinions and ideas here !

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

WIP Videos :

My other mods:

Tilos : Greek Island

Edited by Anthariel

Nice, looking very promising. I love the fact that you are doing real maps :D

Dayum, so many tasty maps incoming.

Looks really good, dude!

This looks fantastic, Cant wait!!!

@Anthariel Will this have any Patrol bases or FOBs on?

Edited by Tom.Tucka

Damn man look neat!

I definitelly keep an eye on this :yay:

@Lumnuon : Indeed :) The satellite picture ( used to define the position of clutter and display the long range image ) is very more realistic than an fictional picture created in L3DT/Photoshop.

@LAxemann : Thanks, I'm glad you like it :cool:

@Tom.Tucka : Thanks! Well for the moment i don't know but of course i'll add 3 or 4 fictionnal FOB on the map and maybe one airfield but I fear that this breaks the realistic and immersive side. ( but it's could be cool for AAS / Invade & Annex ).

@MrEwok : Thanks, well I hope that your OED and HMMVV mod's will be useful on this map! :cool:

@Opendome : Thanks!

@Lumnuon : Indeed :) The satellite picture ( used to define the position of clutter and display the long range image ) is very more realistic than an fictional picture created in L3DT/Photoshop.

@LAxemann : Thanks, I'm glad you like it :cool:

@Tom.Tucka : Thanks! Well for the moment i don't know but of course i'll add 3 or 4 fictionnal FOB on the map and maybe one airfield but I fear that this breaks the realistic and immersive side.

@MrEwok : Thanks, well I hope that your OED and HMMVV mod's will be useful on this map! :cool:

@Opendome : Thanks!

That's great maybe 1 Main FOB and like 3 Patrol bases, I don't think a airbase would be necessary

Yeah of course one main FOB. For the airbase, i think i'll do a poll after the Alpha release :)

Yeah of course one main FOB. For the airbase, i think i'll do a poll after the Alpha release :)

Sounds Good! Just showed people in my unit and they love it too!

Thanks for sharing Tom :)

@Nomisum : Thanks!

I'll publish some new screenshots of the Arghandab River in few day.

Also, here an idea of the location of some FOB / Camps : http://i.imgur.com/LmJpSyh.jpg ( all names are realy names of FOB / Camps / Firebase based in Afghanistan ).

Thanks for sharing Tom :)

@Nomisum : Thanks!

I'll publish some new screenshots of the Arghandab River in few day.

Also, here an idea of the location of some FOB / Camps : http://i.imgur.com/LmJpSyh.jpg ( all names are realy names of FOB / Camps / Firebase based in Afghanistan ).

To me personaly 1 Camp and 2 FOBs as depicted in your picture are enough. I think it really destroys immersion if you run into a military base every kilometer.

Wow!

This looks awesome. Looking forward to following the development of this map.

Just my two cents regarding bases and such, I think what you've got planned is more than enough. I can understand why some people might want an airbase, but looking at what you're thinking about placing down, I'd say that's plenty. An airbase might be a bit overkill on this map.

Thanks you for your feedback.

Well, if needed i can also create two maps :

Kandahar Province (without airfield)

Kandahar Province AF (This version included with the first map) have 1 main airfield in the top left and a Dirt Airfield somewhere.

So when you download the map you have the two version but for example a server can choose the version wanted for the server.

Edited by Anthariel

Thanks you for your feedback.

Well, if needed i can also create two maps :

Kandahar Province (without airfield)

Kandahar Province AF (This version included with the first map) have 1 main airfield in the top left and a Dirt Airfield somewhere.

So when you download the map you have the two version but for example a server can choose the version wanted for the server.

Great Idea!

That would make everyone happy :). However I would like to have 2 seperate downloads then but that´s probably just my opinion. For example I try to have realistic maps only in my arma.

As long as its got a fob with maybe a small air strip and helo pad's or a version with a airbase.... This map blows all others out the park!

@Lumnuon, Why not, but if you want, you can also just delete the Kandahar_Province_Airfield.pbo in the addon folder.

@ELTyranos, merci l'ami !

@WillamEQUALSD, Wow! Thanks you! I will keep you up not worry :cool:

@Rockdpm : Thanks a lot, for the airfield i'll create a poll soon :)

Here a very quick video where i'm just walking through the first village. ( 1080p60fps+JSRS3: Dragon Fyre :yay: )

Enjoy :

Edited by Anthariel

Looks very nice!

wooooow... that's amazingly detailed.

btw is this stand-alone or will it need AiA/terrain pack?

Edited by Chompster

Some lovely object clutter placement there (I know how much work goes into that!) and a very nice sat map too!

I think will be a smashing terrain - good luck and good mapping!