Sign in to follow this  
kothen

Do you use any AI mods?

Nice vid, I see he's using SLX, i did recompile and somewhat rebuild SLX its called COSLX

there was issues with the old 2.3 version of SLX build so at the time in 2011 I created a list where I compiled all the reported issues into a Bug List and had Foxhound on Armaholic add a link to the list on the original SLX mod download page

After the list was put up people were still posting threads reporting crashes, and freezes with SLX, so to solve this I built a mod version naming it COSLX

(CO being Combined ops aka Arma2 and Arrowhead together), COSLX had a few updated files in it that I had fixed myself, some code entries,a dn some other misc things were fixed, and or changed, and basically the mod removed those files that made the original mod freeze and crash your game.

Anyways in COSLX the slx_wounds.pbo adds some more AI features to the AI aspect which he is not using in the video as I downloaded his pack to see what files he was using.

SLX_Wounds adds a large number of features to the AI including, blood, dismemberment, dragging of AI bodies, AI going to aid their fellow teammates to give them first aid,

as well as a number of other things, so this changes the whole complexity of the game in terms of how AI respond to you and you to them.

Now this is Arma2CO Im referring to which to answer your question kothen i play with COWarMod only when I play which is the mod I built, the number of AI addons

and mods in my mod you can see listed here and their features: WarMod Website

For Arma2 I have a mod for that also which is called A2Warmod which has its own mods in it for AI, most of those are in COWarMod, these days Im

mostly playing Arma3 and on occasions arma2CO, but not since January have I played.

For Arma3 same thing I play with a combination of mods not specific to AI but a new WarMod for Arma3 I been working on for a number of months, in the mod are

a few mods right now that I been testing namely ASRAI, AGM_Ai, TPW Mods and vcom_driving, Im back and forthe with some other ones but right now Im mostly testing other

things not related to AI, its mostly whats catching my attention for the mod, and then sometimes I get to involved in the game and forget Im testing and working lol,

but nothing specific for me its a matter of balance, my main thing when I play is the character feel, which is really movement, shooting, quickness, ballistics and effects,

so really all gameplay, the AI is in there too but not on my priority list, at least for the mod atm.

I love all the changes and AI mods you added. I think if I'm playing custom missions I will do ASR AI and MAYBE TPW. But if Im doing my own missions, I'll do COWarMod (atleast for Arma 2)

I kind of want to try his video's AI mods. But I have more confidence as a modder, you know what the better experince is

Just wondering if a majority of players of Arma play with any AI mods. There are so many, and I'm curious what you guys use. The most popular seems to be ASR AI going by the thread posts.

I've never used an AI mod, for A2 or A3.

I've never used an AI mod, for A2 or A3.

How do you like it without AI mods? I played it before and it sometimes feels like the AI is super unrealistic with their aim.

Usually I use bCombat, sometimes together with ww_aicover, don't know if it's a good combination. With AI mods I'm puzzled since the beginning of universe.

Usually I use bCombat, sometimes together with ww_aicover, don't know if it's a good combination. With AI mods I'm puzzled since the beginning of universe.

What do you mean by puzzled exactly?

Bcombat for our group, still trying to tweak the skill levels. They seem to be uber soldiers or useless...lol

But there is nothing better than watching them use smoke as well as flank:)

100% uncessary, bCombat has its own move to cover system for AI. Actually don't mix bCombat with any other ai mods at all expect for VCOM AI Driving Mod. bCombat has its own customized danger.fsm and cfgskills.

As for the AI mods out there. I suggest you guys to use either:

bCombat + Vcom ai Driving mod

or

AGM ai + ASR ai + Vcom ai Driving mod.

NOTE: Although both TPW CAS and bCombat use bDetect system for suppression and bullet detection, bCombat has an option to use native bullet detection system which was introduced in 1.40 update, so as far as I can tell do not use TPW CAS or TPW EBS.

SECOND NOTE: As of 1.40 the AI has a native bullet detection system. After this update many of you guys claimed that AI become super accurate. Well the case is they are not! Instead AI became aware of its surroundings so they actually know where to shoot. Their accuracy is the same but their aim got better. This is a side result of the changes which made AI to react against bullets and gunshots. The AI was deaf they are not anymore. I suggest you to use AGM AI as it lovers AI accuracy to reasonable levels which is quite dangerous but not instant laser head shots.

AGM AI is compatible with ASR AI. It is specifically stated as that by AGM mod.

Also always check the userconfig files of the mods, be it an AI mod or any other mod. If you do not know what a userconfig file is you are doing it absolutely terribly wrong.

SECOND NOTE: As of 1.40 the AI has a native bullet detection system. After this update many of you guys claimed that AI become super accurate. Well the case is they are not! Instead AI became aware of its surroundings so they actually know where to shoot. Their accuracy is the same but their aim got better. This is a side result of the changes which made AI to react against bullets and gunshots. The AI was deaf they are not anymore. I suggest you to use AGM AI as it lovers AI accuracy to reasonable levels which is quite dangerous but not instant laser head shots.

That is incorrect; the 1.40 update has indeed resulted in screwed up skill settings. The last to be set is spotting distance and this value gets applied to every other skill setting. If the setting for spotting disctance is high, so is everything else and the AI become aimbots.

Well I've been doing some testing in Arma 2 atleast. (Not A3 as I hear the AI atm is borked) and I feel like COSLX is my favorite so far. Too bad there is none for A3. My biggest gripe with a lot of mods is that the AI seems to just hit the floor even at super close range and crawl slowly, When I feel like running to nearby cover would be more viable.

it sometimes feels like the AI is super unrealistic with their aim.

You can use a code in a init.sqf script to put into your mission to make the ai not be ultra killers or super accurate, this is what I

use with my AI mods when I play or test:

[] spawn 
{
while {true} do
	{
	sleep 10;

{
		_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.5];
		_x setSkill ["commanding", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["general", 0.5];
		} 
	forEach allUnits;
	}
};

This code affects all placed and spawning ai, this is for Arma3 btw, but I could up the accuracy a tiny bit but here I get a fighting chance, they are still a challenge

but you wont be killed on the first shot or maybe the 2nd the shot they shoot at you.

@kothen keep in mind COSLX has many other features that dont effect AI see the first page of the COSLX thread for details of what

features are in the mod as it effects AI, but also the player: LINK

How do you like it without AI mods? I played it before and it sometimes feels like the AI is super unrealistic with their aim.

I find gameplay with vanilla AI very challenging and fun. I play on default Veteran difficulty, sometimes Expert, with crosshairs disabled, and have never messed around with AI skill settings. Accurate AI forces you to think ahead and plan tactics carefully. I find the vanilla AI sometimes too slow to react, especially when they are in buildings, and you can sneak right up to them and blast them. But some of that could be related to skill settings of AI by mission makers. The "Elite Warriors" in the Elite Warriors side quest in Adapt didn't seem very elite to me. But in some missions, like Attention Deficit on Stratis, a successful close-quarters attack on an enemy strongpoint is impossible, even with several guys on your side (you were alone in earlier releases of campaign). You will get wasted every time by ninja AI in combat mode. But this is by mission design, I think. I mainly have played only official BI mission content, which is not designed for mods. But AI mods could be awesome if a mission maker designs a mission with such mods in mind.

Edited by OMAC

Maybe I should just try it with vanilla AI. Well not now because of how super accurate the AI is right now.

I say give it a try. Try regular difficulty, or even easier, at first. Get lots of practice in editor, setting yourself up against multiple AI. Learn their behavior. They have various vulnerabilities that you can learn to exploit. Then dive into showcases and campaign. But watch out for Infantry showcase, it is a killer. F*****g brutal. Remember that BI already dumbed down the AI accuracy significantly since the game was released, so it is easier now than it was.

I'll try that out, Thanks for the input! Yeah, I think I've spent so much time trying to find a perfect AI mod that I could have just used vanilla AI the whole time

Agree with Omac about the Infantry showcase; very poor design.

A couple of hints:

- dump the ACO, perhaps the most useless bit of gear in the game. Without it you still have the same FoV & zoom, but you can now zero the sight (ACO could be zeroed in the DVD version, but that was dropped). OK for CQB but a handicap in the open where the range can be 300+ m and the AI are aimbots in vanilla.

The second one discloses a minor, early incident so it's in a spoiler:

The advance spotter gets killed while you're moving down into the valley. Run a bit ahead of the team, keeping a close watch for CSAT and take out any you see ducking side to side on a suitable rock for cover. Then check his gear; sometimes he has an LMG, other times he has an MX with an RCO. Grab that optic - you'll need it. Whatever you do, keep your own rifle; you'll need the grenades.

@Gunter: unfortunately a serious bug in 1.40 has buggered up skill settings. The value for the last one to be set is written into all of the others, over-writing the chosen settings. In the example you gave, every parameter will be set to 0.5 (I'm sticking with 1.38 til they fix it)

Running my A3WarMod with that code i posted in a mission i built and I have no issues, I'm having a blast killing the AI but i dont get the

super duper AI accuracy or whatever issues you guys are having.

Running my A3WarMod with that code i posted in a mission i built and I have no issues, I'm having a blast killing the AI but i dont get the

Well I look forward to your A3 WarMod! I'll be testing out your WarMod for Co and GL4 in arma 2 and vanilla and agm + asr for A3

Lucky you :)

But have a look here

From comments by Robalo & others, it might affect SP as well. I'm still gonna wait for a fix before patching from 1.38.

Cheers, buddy.

Man, So many AI mods, so little time! Arma 2 I settled on GL4 and Wolfpack AI (For now atleast). And Arma 3 I'm thinking of either GL5 or Bcombat. I just wish Bcombat was multiplayer usable. Still doing testing with Vanilla AI as well. They both have really good pros and cons that its hard to choose.

So I've heard that in the recent dev patch, That the BI is starting to implement some sort of their own suppression system?

So I've heard that in the recent dev patch, That the BI is starting to implement some sort of their own suppression system?

Yep, basically the more you shoot at them the more they freeze and the less accurate they get, no idea how well it works, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Yep, basically the more you shoot at them the more they freeze and the less accurate they get, no idea how well it works, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Sounds horrible in my opinion. The AI already have enough issues keeping mobile. I can only imagine every AI crawling around prone for every tiny little bullet that goes by..

Sounds horrible in my opinion. The AI already have enough issues keeping mobile. I can only imagine every AI crawling around prone for every tiny little bullet that goes by..

Doesn't affect them too badly in terms of movement (it may not actually affect their movement, haven't done any proper testing) but the main issue is the aiming error produced is too big, you get some really cool fights but they go on for a while and then the AI runs out of ammo.

EDIT: Yeah, I was wrong about the movement, it only affects their aim.

Edited by Jona33

Doesn't affect them too badly in terms of movement (it may not actually affect their movement, haven't done any proper testing) but the main issue is the aiming error produced is too big, you get some really cool fights but they go on for a while and then the AI runs out of ammo.

EDIT: Yeah, I was wrong about the movement, it only affects their aim.

Well that sounds almost perfect IMO. I feel like if they went prone or something it would make missions feel much more dragged out.