Sign in to follow this  
kothen

Do you use any AI mods?

Just wondering if a majority of players of Arma play with any AI mods. There are so many, and I'm curious what you guys use. The most popular seems to be ASR AI going by the thread posts.

To be honest, I don't most of the time. Too many of them mess with longer drawn out missions that have lots of waypoints or specific triggers. I do in MP if the game isn't running off of my machine. Otherwise no. On the off chance I do play with one in SP, it's FFIS.

yeah, That is true. I played a lot of missions with AI mods that tend to mess up or be "wonky" so to speak.

We're using ASR_AI3 for our group (and will again once it has been patched to 1.40), as it only applies a "soft touch" to AI without overwriting mission maker's intents. Plus it's fairly configurable and made with MP in mind.

My friends and I are trying out Vcom ai. Pretty fun, just don't know how realistic it is. Asr seemed weird as units would just go prone when shot at, even when right next to a building

Been trying bcombat in single player. Seems pretty good - ie appears to make for cover, throws smoke and grenade throwing AI seems better. Am currently trying a few so will let you know...

cheers

I think i've tried most of the Ai mods/scripts and they all are benefits, depends on the mission really.

The one i love and use the most is AI Spawn Script Pack by SpunFIN, the BI thread can be found Here

The following thread is an amazing collection of AI related mods/addons/scripts/etc. made by Gunter Severloh and is updated as the related content is update or added, great resource:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175400-AI-Compilation-List-of-Addons-Mods-Scripts-amp-Misc

Yeah, I've seen that thread. Lots of great mods, I just wanted to know what you guys thought was the most realistic/best

Our group uses ASR_AI3(mod) and TPWCAS(script) in our missions.

we find that a good combination for our gameplay style.

Yeah, I've seen that thread. Lots of great mods, I just wanted to know what you guys thought was the most realistic/best

You've seen it but.... have you not seen threads already asking what your asking? Idk how many times your question has been asked over the years, and for

Arma3 specifically there are 2 questions listed on the list which I listed below.

Point of the list is to not only have a valuable resource/reference the community can go to, which would decrease or eliminate their search time if possible,

but also to prevent threads like yours here and others already asked about from continually being posted, no pun intended btw but i spent many weeks on the list,

and still work on it once a week.

i would hope the community could at least search the list before they decide to post and more specifically AI related questions.

Best AI improvement mod

http://tinyurl.com/ltx6mny

Please recommend a noob friendly gameplay AI mod

http://tinyurl.com/o22rahk

Always bCombat! If new versions of ASR_AI or VCOM_AI or FFIS (Valor now) come out I try them straight away, but ultimately come back to bCombat.

I love bCombat, but it often breaks scenarios if I have to load/revert.

You've seen it but.... have you not seen threads already asking what your asking? Idk how many times your question has been asked over the years, and for

Arma3 specifically there are 2 questions listed on the list which I listed below.

Point of the list is to not only have a valuable resource/reference the community can go to, which would decrease or eliminate their search time if possible,

but also to prevent threads like yours here and others already asked about from continually being posted, no pun intended btw but i spent many weeks on the list,

and still work on it once a week.

i would hope the community could at least search the list before they decide to post and more specifically AI related questions.

Best AI improvement mod

http://tinyurl.com/ltx6mny

Please recommend a noob friendly gameplay AI mod

http://tinyurl.com/o22rahk

I apologize, I just wanted to know what people have been using as of lately with the new updates and patches. Especially now that FFIS is broken apparently as of recent updates, as well as ai has been updated in the recent Arma patches. Ai is the most important factor to me as I am mainly a single player of Arma.

Edited by Kothen

No worries, this is also part of the forum rules too something to keep in mind but thing is if there is a thread already discussing what your asking about

then just reply to those threads.

The threads I listed are really not that old so opinions, likes and or what have you are pretty current, my list has old and new mods, Arma3 isn't

really that old, so anything on my list are all pretty good, it just depends on what you wish to see the AI do ingame.

In the spring I will be releasing a gameplay mod that is a compilation mod part of my WarMod series it will have all the AI mods in it, but only a couple

of AI mods actually in the mod by default mod is called A3WarMod

see the thread linked for more details and check out my website, being a player of SP like myself a mod of this sort may be up your alley as it gives you alot of options to choose from,

as well as the being customizable.

There are a few AI addons and or mods that have released I'd say in the past few months, check my updates on the Ai list to see which ones.

Keep your mind open though, be curious as to whats out there, read the descriptions for each mod and see what catches your eye.

if you need any help with anything give me a shout im here everyday.

Its pretty much a requirement for me as the vanilla AI are so painfully stupid sometimes its annoying, although its obviously difficult to create really good intelligent computer controlled units so not having a dig. Although most of the AI mods have their disadvantages too, like for long missions where you save and reload they just seem to completely break the AI for whatever reason.

I still persevere with AI mods despite all the annoyances though as its still preferable to me. I use ASR the most because on big missions with tonnes of AI i find bCombat gives me a pretty decent FPS hit.

I really appreciate how nice you are being about this despite me asking over and over. A question though, you said your mods have multiple AI mods in them. Do they conflict with each other?

No, I have heard bcombat is good, but I've never felt the need to use AI mods. Well, usually I haven't.

I have to use Bcombat, I cant play otherwise.

AI in vanilla arma is either dumb as rocks moving targets, or they are ridiculous autoturret snipers depending on your settings. With bcombat they actually feel somewhat like live enemies. They are accurate, but not ridiculous. They are effected by suppressive fire. They chuck smoke, they attempt to flank and they put a lot of rounds down. They seem to move a lot better in urban areas too compared to vanillas "ill just go prone in the middle of a street"

The D.I.C.E mission introduced me to ASR AI, which is also good, but we had to turn down the accuracy and speed settings because it got a bit ridiculous. It doesnt help that their accuracy doesnt seem to be affected by large volumes of fire coming their way, there might be a setting for that but I dont know.

I really appreciate how nice you are being about this despite me asking over and over.

Well I'm a nice guy :) and I like to look out for my fellow forum members here and help where I can, but since you have a thread

going already and folks are responding then go with it.

A question though, you said your mods have multiple AI mods in them. Do they conflict with each other?

In the mod itself is setup like any mod except that i have a customization folder in the mod folder itself, so the mod folder being @A3WarMod in that folder along side

the addons folder will be a folder that is titled Customization, inside that will be a folder titled AI Mods.

How this works is by default i will have only a number of Ai mods in the addons folder as that is what the game reads in the mod folder itself, outside that

the rest you can add any AI mods from the customization folder.

As for your question my current work for testing the mod and basically bug hunting

I have yet to run into any conflicts and that is running ASRAI, AGM_Ai, and vcom_driving so far.

The AI aspect of the mod is time consuming as what I do is test each mod individually to basically get an imprint in my memory, then test run one without issues,

and then add another mod, watch that, test with various scenarios, and then add another AI mod, and so forth. AI related mod testing in terms of compatibility take alot

of time and some observation and attention to details and knowledge of how a mod plays out, so really you should play with one mod for a bit get the feel for it then add another,

and do the same, test each mod by themselves and combine and see what happens, is mod A working as it should or is mod B interfering,

or is mod B's AI having glitchy behavior, stuff to keep in mind.

In my COWarMod for Arma2CO I had 14 AI mods running together, and the only reason they ran together was

because each had a different function, unlike in Arma3 with the major mods you have a number of mods that almost do the same thing but one

does it better then the other, or has some more details to it, or some other features another doesn't so ASRAI, Bcombat, AISS2,Vcom AI are your major mods, the misc

mods seen on my list all have their individual features which should complement the major mods but you need to read the descriptions and get an idea

of what each mod does so one is not getting overwritten by another.

Well I'm a nice guy :) and I like to look out for my fellow forum members here and help where I can, but since you have a thread

going already and folks are responding then go with it.

In the mod itself is setup like any mod except that i have a customization folder in the mod folder itself, so the mod folder being @A3WarMod in that folder along side

the addons folder will be a folder that is titled Customization, inside that will be a folder titled AI Mods.

How this works is by default i will have only a number of Ai mods in the addons folder as that is what the game reads in the mod folder itself, outside that

the rest you can add any AI mods from the customization folder.

As for your question my current work for testing the mod and basically bug hunting

I have yet to run into any conflicts and that is running ASRAI, AGM_Ai, and vcom_driving so far.

The AI aspect of the mod is time consuming as what I do is test each mod individually to basically get an imprint in my memory, then test run one without issues,

and then add another mod, watch that, test with various scenarios, and then add another AI mod, and so forth. AI related mod testing in terms of compatibility take alot

of time and some observation and attention to details and knowledge of how a mod plays out, so really you should play with one mod for a bit get the feel for it then add another,

and do the same, test each mod by themselves and combine and see what happens, is mod A working as it should or is mod B interfering,

or is mod B's AI having glitchy behavior, stuff to keep in mind.

In my COWarMod for Arma2CO I had 14 AI mods running together, and the only reason they ran together was

because each had a different function, unlike in Arma3 with the major mods you have a number of mods that almost do the same thing but one

does it better then the other, or has some more details to it, or some other features another doesn't so ASRAI, Bcombat, AISS2,Vcom AI are your major mods, the misc

mods seen on my list all have their individual features which should complement the major mods but you need to read the descriptions and get an idea

of what each mod does so one is not getting overwritten by another.

I have to give you major props for doing that. I cant imagine testing scenario after scenario. Mod after mod to see what works and what doesn't. If I have any more questions about WarMods, should I ask on the thread.

Thank you, I love compiling, and yes any questions about them use the proper threads.

As for AI here what have you tried yourself so far?

Well for Arma 2, I've really only done ASR_AI + TPWCAS and TPWLOS. It seems to be alright. I tried doing some CRW2 missions with it and the one where you play as three black ops soldiers in a village was kind of odd, Firefights took a very long time as my team didn't move or give orders to move that often, Instead they stayed behind a house for most of the battle. Just, sometimes the way AI goes prone in the middle of a street, I dont know how realistic that is. I'm no trained soldier, but my guess is, if you see cover near you, Run to it. But then again, I dont know how real combat plays out as I've only seen movies and games.

Arma 3 I've done a lot more testing. Bcombat seems really good as well. I tried VCOM AI with my friends on Co-op and it seemed to work well also, The AI was much more aggressive and moved around a lot more. When I used ASR_AI and TPW. The AI seemed to just sort of go prone and return fire only, not really moving to flank that often.

I watch this one channel on youtube about a guy who does AI reviews and analysis and I asked him on these videos what his opinion was.

. We had a discussion in the comments and apparently his favorite for both Arma 2 and Arma 3 is GL4/5. He says its the best AI experience hands down in his opinion, except it will break custom made missions not made with GL4 in mind.

What about you Günter? What are your favorite combinations for AI in both games? Is COWarMod what you always use in Arma 2?

Nice vid, I see he's using SLX, i did recompile and somewhat rebuild SLX its called COSLX

there was issues with the old 2.3 version of SLX build so at the time in 2011 I created a list where I compiled all the reported issues into a Bug List and had Foxhound on Armaholic add a link to the list on the original SLX mod download page

After the list was put up people were still posting threads reporting crashes, and freezes with SLX, so to solve this I built a mod version naming it COSLX

(CO being Combined ops aka Arma2 and Arrowhead together), COSLX had a few updated files in it that I had fixed myself, some code entries,a dn some other misc things were fixed, and or changed, and basically the mod removed those files that made the original mod freeze and crash your game.

Anyways in COSLX the slx_wounds.pbo adds some more AI features to the AI aspect which he is not using in the video as I downloaded his pack to see what files he was using.

SLX_Wounds adds a large number of features to the AI including, blood, dismemberment, dragging of AI bodies, AI going to aid their fellow teammates to give them first aid,

as well as a number of other things, so this changes the whole complexity of the game in terms of how AI respond to you and you to them.

Now this is Arma2CO Im referring to which to answer your question kothen i play with COWarMod only when I play which is the mod I built, the number of AI addons

and mods in my mod you can see listed here and their features: WarMod Website

For Arma2 I have a mod for that also which is called A2Warmod which has its own mods in it for AI, most of those are in COWarMod, these days Im

mostly playing Arma3 and on occasions arma2CO, but not since January have I played.

For Arma3 same thing I play with a combination of mods not specific to AI but a new WarMod for Arma3 I been working on for a number of months, in the mod are

a few mods right now that I been testing namely ASRAI, AGM_Ai, TPW Mods and vcom_driving, Im back and forthe with some other ones but right now Im mostly testing other

things not related to AI, its mostly whats catching my attention for the mod, and then sometimes I get to involved in the game and forget Im testing and working lol,

but nothing specific for me its a matter of balance, my main thing when I play is the character feel, which is really movement, shooting, quickness, ballistics and effects,

so really all gameplay, the AI is in there too but not on my priority list, at least for the mod atm.

I haven't really found any AI mod I liked, mainly because to many of them try to change the gameplay style rather then simply fix the oddities that happen with the vanilla AI. The only one I have really used extensively is Vcom mainly because it fixes the AI issue of not avoiding things spawned into the world.

My dream AI mod:

AI uses smoke and suppression

AI can clear rooms using stacking up and breaching tactics

AI will retreat for better positions

AI armor keeps formations and can convoy properly.

AI will use AT against helicopters and infantry if deemed appropiet (I.E low flying helicopters, or to take out entrenched infantry)