Sign in to follow this  
bono_lv

Confusion with optics

As Marksman DLC is aproaching...

As a civilian, I have no clue how in-game optics are working. I think game needs some VR training scenario explaining how to use optics properly. For example - how to measure approximate distance to human target or how to compensate aiming with mil dots(?).

So... Is there any information about all in-game optics?

AFAIK the in game optics are not true mil dots and warp depending on your FOV settings.

Thus mil dot range estimating is pointless and since there is no mil turrets adjusting your aim via the reticles mildots would also be pointless.

Pretty sure that you can use real-world diagrams when it comes to things like mil-dots in ArmA. I remember back in ArmA: Armed Assault (Combat Operations) you could use real world diagrams for the PSO-1 on the SVD.

How to Get the Most out of your Mil-Dot Reticle

Tested it and it seems to work:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Nicholas

You can use mil-dots for ranging in Arma. The soldier models are 2 meters tall (IIRC) so if you see a target that is two mils tall, you know that the range to the target is 1000m. Sadly, they messed up the mil-dot calibration recently on dev-branch. I don't know if the bug made it to stable, but it did work at some point and they will make it work again. You can also use ballistics charts and use hold-over instead of adjusting range with page-up/down. Real ballistic charts can work but the ingame ballistic simulation is not 100% accurate so you might want to make your own chart for the in-game ballistics.

If you want more realism with very accurate ballistics simulation and properly adjustable scope turret's, check out Ruthberg's Advanced Ballistics.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181324-Advanced-Ballistics-%28WIP%29&highlight=ruthbergs+advanced+ballistics

Edited by Brisse

Your simply trying to complicate things in your head too much (no worries ive seen fellow real world snipers do it)

As you are a cvilian, and this is a game ill keep it simple.....

Fundamentals are vital. Ill reference two different mission "types", "Marksmen" and "Sniper".

As a markesmen you will be mobile, choose a semi automatic high capacity weapon (.30cal or better, but 556 or similiar will do but engagement ranges are shorter). Choose a medium powered optic(something around 3-9 power). Practice as much as possible at different known ranges, you practice enough and you will know where placing your reticle points will hit. Be prepared for follow up shots if you miss or the target is moving

Sniper missions are precisley executed even before deployment. Study your map, once on station use rangefinder to clock key points in your field of fire(buildings, a rock, parked car, etc) this will give you known ranges throughout, and will increase your engagment chances. However, these ops are usually designed for one target, at a known kill sight. Range your kill sight if possible, or range him when hes on site.

Do not get tunnel vision, or "lost in your scope"

practice makes perfect. Make your own range, practice as much as possible so you know exactly where your bullets will land, and you wont need to use reticle to range.

Ingame reticle accuracy depends not only on ammo class, but how it was made(if using a third party scope).

Remember dont complicate things so much, repetition, practice are key. Its a game, and will never be full simulation, so some basic common sense and game logic need to be applied.

Cheers and happy hunting :)

Your simply trying to complicate things in your head too much (no worries ive seen fellow real world snipers do it)

As you are a cvilian, and this is a game ill keep it simple.....

Fundamentals are vital. Ill reference two different mission "types", "Marksmen" and "Sniper".

As a markesmen you will be mobile, choose a semi automatic high capacity weapon (.30cal or better, but 556 or similiar will do but engagement ranges are shorter). Choose a medium powered optic(something around 3-9 power). Practice as much as possible at different known ranges, you practice enough and you will know where placing your reticle points will hit. Be prepared for follow up shots if you miss or the target is moving

Sniper missions are precisley executed even before deployment. Study your map, once on station use rangefinder to clock key points in your field of fire(buildings, a rock, parked car, etc) this will give you known ranges throughout, and will increase your engagment chances. However, these ops are usually designed for one target, at a known kill sight. Range your kill sight if possible, or range him when hes on site.

Do not get tunnel vision, or "lost in your scope"

practice makes perfect. Make your own range, practice as much as possible so you know exactly where your bullets will land, and you wont need to use reticle to range.

Ingame reticle accuracy depends not only on ammo class, but how it was made(if using a third party scope).

Remember dont complicate things so much, repetition, practice are key. Its a game, and will never be full simulation, so some basic common sense and game logic need to be applied.

Cheers and happy hunting :)

Is it also part of the marksman and sniper training to not read OP's past the thread title? ;)

Is it part of "Assault Gun Factory" training to quote walls of text that were posted just above your new post? :)

Moderators: Sorry for off-topic. I hope I did not offend.

Thank you all for answers.

I guess I'll find some sniper/marksman mission on steam workshop with good ratings and just experiment.

Still I think it would be very usefull if Arma 3 had that kind of information in game already.

As Marksman DLC is aproaching...

As a civilian, I have no clue how in-game optics are working. I think game needs some VR training scenario explaining how to use optics properly. For example - how to measure approximate distance to human target or how to compensate aiming with mil dots(?).

So... Is there any information about all in-game optics?

I absolutely agree with you. There should not only be a VR training course, but also a detailed entry in the field manual for all optics.

There is an entry on mil-dot's though, but it could be more comprehensive.

Someone posted literally just the other day a post on how to use one of the scopes in the game.

Bono-LV: just google ACOG reticle and PSO reticle for an explanation on how to use them for ranging. It's not going to translate 100% into Arma 3 but it's faily damn close.

Wow, that guide looks nice, lot of good stuff. Thanks Belbo!

I absolutely agree with you. There should not only be a VR training course, but also a detailed entry in the field manual for all optics.

I also agree, way back at Alpha staging I remember having to explain to some players what the markings on the ARCO optics were for.

Not every new player will be gun savvy.

Well, in today's livestream they stated that there will be new training missions. Maybe they can fit one for scopes in there as well.