Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Marksmen DLC First Look Livestream

As I saw it he was able to deploy the MG after he detached the Bipod (not rest, but deploy)

Yes - but stability will be worse than if the bipod was used

Not really a content guy but like the look and feel of these rifles. That coupled with all of the work put into the platform features means a greenlight on the sale. Very nice livestream tho am disappointed that PiP scopes where not part of the release - my interpretation of 3d scope is off I suppose..

Sidenote -wasn't Jay Crowe that frat boy guy from American Pie?

Nice character animations on the bipods. Would be great if we could have the same thing for helicopter door gunners and also static weapons.

yes please!!!

As I saw it he was able to deploy the MG after he detached the Bipod (not rest, but deploy)

Weapon resting will be done automaticaly by the engine, notice his crosshair becoming really small when weapon is rested (no bipod deployed).

Wait a second,

there will be a marksman DLC and no word about: Windage, rangetables for differnt weapons, spotters, spotting tools, bullet trajectory, humidity, zeroing, kestrel wind meter, wind effects?

Did i miss something?

Edited by KrAziKilla

As RoyaltyinExile remarked on the stream, it's called the (designated) Marksmen DLC and not the Snipers DLC for a reason...

Wow, thats thats.....thats.. sooo sad.

I mean calling a DLC Marksman (Sharpshooter) and then not adding the very basics of marksmanship is kind a misleading.

I was expecting much of this, but now the only thing which i can be happy about is weapon deployment.

Hopefully it will also be noticalbe if you dont have a crosshair active.

They should rename the DLC to Machinegunners dlc since the gameplay additions will affect squad machinegunners far more than it will affect long distance shooting.

Wow, thats thats.....thats.. sooo sad.

I mean calling a DLC Marksman (Sharpshooter) and then not adding the very basics of marksmanship is kind a misleading.

Whereas I'm less surprised considering that every rifle besides the Mk14 ("the antique rifle") was a semiauto DMR, so probably the only way to have gotten the gist across of what was intended (or rather, greenlit) would have been to name it "Squad Sharpshooter DLC". ;)
They should rename the DLC to Machinegunners dlc since the gameplay additions will affect squad machinegunners far more than it will affect long distance shooting.
Greater effect for machine guns perhaps, but even DMRs would benefit to a noticeable degree.
Hopefully it will also be noticalbe if you dont have a crosshair active.
At least when using a cover object, there's a pretty noticeable "jump cut" from the regular crouch to the "deployed posture"; when prone it's much less visible (much more fluid and "natural") without a jump, but if you have a bipod attached or integral to the weapon you can see it come down.

Well, they did mention that they named it that by design, and stated it would be focusing on ranged weapons, and adding in much anticipated new features to compliment Fatigue and the likes. When you think of a Marksman, you don't generally think of a full on Sniper. But rather one with a DMR. The DLC does consist of mainly DMR's, with a couple of MMG's, which do count as, "Ranged Weapons". :D

All nice and all but...

- no indication on if your weapon is rested or deployed? People WILL be confused! (I know about the discussion on the proper thread) ((even saw deployed weapons with folded bipods!!!!))

- liked the rotation limitation when proned and deployed. No penalities when not deployed?

- Optics and attachments; Nothing new?

- 3D scopes stiil "floating" all around

- FFS teach your AI to mount NVG only when needed (or scripted) because the combination with Ghillie suits make them look particularly silly.

Did anyone notice how there is basically no recoil when using bipods? There should be *some* not zero, nada, null.

All nice and all but...

- no indication on if your weapon is rested or deployed? People WILL be confused! (I know about the discussion on the proper thread) ((even saw deployed weapons with folded bipods!!!!))

- liked the rotation limitation when proned and deployed. No penalities when not deployed?

- Optics and attachments; Nothing new?

- 3D scopes stiil "floating" all around

- FFS teach your AI to mount NVG only when needed (or scripted) because the combination with Ghillie suits make them look particularly silly.

How did you not see the 3 new optics in the video? They clearly used them multiple times.

As for icons or indications that your weapon is rested (not deployed VERY different terms here) there is much debate over that and in my opinion the difference is noticable immediately without the need for an indicator (and I play on elite.)

I'd really genuinely be gob-smacked if someone actually needed an indicator for when they had their weapon deployed as they must push a button to do so and it's quite obvious via movement restrictions that you're in that state.

What i want to stress is proper Bi-pod animations. I mean it's cool how it flips down, but it's so... Robotic. It needs more Hand interaction via. character model grabbing the bipod, and placing it down, and placing hands correctly back to support the rifle.

That sounds good. Arma3 has a reputation of being not fluid and quite robotic, so these things would help. It stop looking like a half finished job. Especially as it seems a lot of work had gone into the other bits of it.

Edit. More than just help they are crucial from taking the game to the next level. The reloading animations are sweet, we need the same for the lowering and raising of the bipods.

Edited by twisted

Got 2 of em missed the 3rd...optics that is they all look nice too...

Kahilia

AMS

The most prominent thing that surprised me were animations.They are really well done, and I'm now

even more curious how they did it (motion builder?).

All animations ever done for ArmA 3 were done in Motionbuilder :)

So as far as I have seen from this livestream, if we dont own this marksman DLC, and we shoot some Ai on the ground and go to pick up his gun which is a DLC gun, we cant pick it up and use it? Because if so, that is a huge gameplay problem.

Weapon resting will be done automaticaly by the engine, notice his crosshair becoming really small when weapon is rested (no bipod deployed).

You can deploy the weapon without a bipod, but you will not benefit from it as much as with a bipod (Lower position on the resting surface, worse recoil management, apparently. They show it off in the stream.)

Weapon resting is not the same as deploying a weapon on a surface.

So as far as I have seen from this livestream, if we dont own this marksman DLC, and we shoot some Ai on the ground and go to pick up his gun which is a DLC gun, we cant pick it up and use it? Because if so, that is a huge gameplay problem.

It's not a problem.Proof?Helicopters.

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

All animations ever done for ArmA 3 were done in Motionbuilder :)

That's interesting.If you could do workflow explanation in appropriate thread I would be very curious.

Hopefully you will find time to reveal this to us peasants.

It's the EXACT same thing as the Helicopters DLC. That topic is long done and gone, and a new one for the Marksman DLC isn't needed. It's simple. You shoot someone out of a DLC helicopter, than you can't use it if you don't own the DLC, simple. You shoot someone with a DLC Weapon, and try to take it, you cant. It's the same thing. Well, you can, if you own the Marksman DLC, or Bundle. If you want to prevent such a, "problem", second best thing to do is avoid mission design using DLC items, meaning 100% Vanilla missions.

Wouldn't you agree that an even bigger gameplay problem would be for people that own the Marksman DLC to not even be able to play with people that don't have it? I don't think it would be game-breaking to not be able to pick up one single rifle on the battlefield...may suck, but not game-breaking. Surely there will be situations where that rifle on the ground is your only hope for survival, and if you don't have the DLC, you're screwed...but how often will players run into this same situation? Not every soldier will be carrying DLC weapons, unless you make it that way. Not trying to give you shit, but I think there could be much worse scenarios if the DLC was handled differently.

By the way, note to BI, please inform Matt Lightfoot that 7 new rifles isn't the equivalent of 'TONS of new guns', lol. All jokes aside, I am excited to see the new features that are on the way, and curious to know how many more requested features will eventually make it into A3.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideSixOfficial View Post

What i want to stress is proper Bi-pod animations. I mean it's cool how it flips down, but it's so... Robotic. It needs more Hand interaction via. character model grabbing the bipod, and placing it down, and placing hands correctly back to support the rifle.

I guess proper animations, which work with every weapon in every stance can be quite challenging to create. But what bothers me a bit is, that the unfolding of the bipod has no sound.