Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Marksmen DLC First Look Livestream

Alright first impressions are here!

The most prominent thing that surprised me were animations.They are really well done, and I'm now

even more curious how they did it (motion builder?).

Next thing was new Mk14.Reason for that is, I knew that it was already created in a past

but they remodeled it rather then copy paste as it was sometimes the case in the past (HMGs..)

Sound attenuation looks really well done, I really like how you can tell where is it coming and how

far away you are based on volume.

I really liked resting your weapon without bipods, that was really good surprise too!

Other things observed: 2 new scopes, new ghilie suits, new sort of armor/Plate carrier (beginning of the stream)

Garage training area is really good idea, Cyrus was based on Dragunov sniper rifle

Improvements for next stream:

When you are showcasing sounds - try not to talk and do silent example - demo sort of speak.Increase effects

in that case too, so you can tell tails bit easier.

Showcasing weapons - if you want to show them rather use splendid camera - that would be real treat to us watching

stream because he could pan, zoom, slide as oppose to using view to look left or right.

Also while moving switching weapon to left side with side step would be good way to showcase weapon +

rounds ejection for example.

Next cam face was too big or it wasn't centered correctly.IN cam face there was about 40% of screen estate not

used for in another word displaying the wall, while I would rather see weapon.Which brings me to the realization

that cam face would be better position on top left/right side of the screen, while being smaller.

Edited by enex

The most prominent thing that surprised me were animations.They are really well done, and I'm now

even more curious how they did it (motion builder?).

me too, some animations would be easily adapt to an "ak style weapon"

Thanks for the Livestream, chaps! Really enjoyed the sneak peek!

I wonder if that new vest is replacing the NATO PC. Definitely has a more conventional feel to it instead of SOF.

I wonder if that new vest is replacing the NATO PC. Definitely has a more conventional feel to it instead of SOF.

I have a feeling that it's gonna replace the grenadier vest for NATO as the current one looks exactly the same as one of the plate carriers. Also I think I saw some pockets on the back for grenades, so...probably a grenadier vest.

I have a feeling that it's gonna replace the grenadier vest for NATO as the current one looks exactly the same as one of the plate carriers. Also I think I saw some pockets on the back for grenades, so...probably a grenadier vest.

That was my thought too. I'd say the heavier overall look they've modelled it with (brassards/rerebraces for deltoid protection etc.), will also account for the fact that the grenadier's vest is configured to have additional explosion resistance compared to the other NATO body armour rigs.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Improvements for next stream:

When you are showcasing sounds - try not to talk and do silent example - demo sort of speak.Increase effects

in that case too, so you can tell tails bit easier.

Showcasing weapons - if you want to show them rather use splendid camera - that would be real treat to us watching

stream because he could pan, zoom, slide as oppose to using view to look left or right.

Also while moving switching weapon to left side with side step would be good way to showcase weapon +

rounds ejection for example.

Next cam face was too big or it wasn't centered correctly.IN cam face there was about 40% of screen estate not

used for in another word displaying the wall, while I would rather see weapon.Which brings me to the realization

that cam face would be better position on top left/right side of the screen, while being smaller.

Thanks for the feedback. Good points, we'll definitely take a look/consider this for the next stream!

i really like all the new weapon models. good to see some gritty designs based on real stuff. adn the fact that you guys added the M14...:239: perfect choice...for me personally :D

the bipods look really promising. the IK stuff looks pretty natural so far. can't wait to use it. nice touch on the leaning too!

one suggestion: could you add a generic gesture for deploying the bipod? like just a generic hand wave downwards? would be great since it looks kind robotic when it just happens. a specific gesture for each attachment that is referenced inside the attachment class much like handanims and reload gestures are in weapon classes. that way the bipod slot would be easy to abuse for modders to use it for something totally different possibly.

Edited by Bad Benson

Man, that was awesome.

If we can now attach FLIRs to the Hummingbird, can we also edit the jets' payload? e.g. Bombs only or four instead of two rocket dispensers? Also, targeting pods?!

Regardless, this is great already. It's impressive how much effort BI still puts in the game two years after the alpha release.

...and it has bicep armour so extra protection?

What i want to stress is proper Bi-pod animations. I mean it's cool how it flips down, but it's so... Robotic. It needs more Hand interaction via. character model grabbing the bipod, and placing it down, and placing hands correctly back to support the rifle.

Everything is starting to look good.

I particularly found the comment about sneaking in 1 or 2 new features if time allows fantastic.

I personally would not mind waiting even a few more months if it means we get more substantial features added into Marksman.

Hoping such a thing happens and we have wind and mil turrets added the two things that would actually really change the gameplay.

I like what I saw today.

The livestream is impressive too.

If we can now attach FLIRs to the Hummingbird, can we also edit the jets' payload? e.g. Bombs only or four instead of two rocket dispensers? Also, targeting pods?!
Not quite unfortunately -- if I recall corectly the Hummingbird may have had a FLIR at one point (or at least modeled), just hidden by default, and the Components tab seemed to be toggling whichever show-hide animations are on a given vehicle, i.e. the M-900 doesn't have the same options as the MH-9. The Buzzard may actually work with the Components tab for that reason if the sample jet is any indication* but I remember finding out that the Neophron and Wipeout are both modeled and textured under the assumption of the loadouts that they have in-game (the "weapon status" screens? Those are just textures with animations) so this would not work for them.

* That is, the Buzzard model has the different combinations of underwing weapons (and, amusingly, rocket pods) proxied onto the hardpoints, then different show/hide animations are toggled for each variant (AA and CAS) so that only the weapons corresponding to that variant's loadout are shown. In contrast, the Arma 2 Harrier had two separate models that were nearly identical except for their proxies and the launcher rails and each variant simply called the corresponding model.

Livestream was fine and features nice but i am disappointed with:

1. No bolt action weapons (obviously)

2. No ballistic improvements - weather/wind that affects the ballistic etc.

3. No 2D scope improvements - cmon guys , not even First Focal Plane Scope reticle support?

Now i would like to say , arma 3 needs something like ScopeFX >

+ with First Focal Plane Scope reticle support and reticle illumination settings - like good old ACE2 mod had

Edited by RobertHammer

Nice character animations on the bipods. Would be great if we could have the same thing for helicopter door gunners and also static weapons.

So the marksman DLC will have no Bullet/wind interaction in it? I´m a bit dissapointed. But well, at least we are getting weapon resting and deploying. Why is it possible to deploy weapons if you don´t have a Bipod on you? Where is the difference to having a bipod? Can I deploy every rifle like that?

@Tonci87

I think the benefit of having a bipod will be increased stability/ accuracy over conventional deployment.

@Tonci87

I think the benefit of having a bipod will be increased stability/ accuracy over conventional deployment.

That's true. Petek or Joris stated that bipods will give an extra boost on accuracy and stability

So the marksman DLC will have no Bullet/wind interaction in it? I´m a bit dissapointed. But well, at least we are getting weapon resting and deploying. Why is it possible to deploy weapons if you don´t have a Bipod on you? Where is the difference to having a bipod? Can I deploy every rifle like that?

Watch the stream closely, it`s well explained. Weapons resthing will be possible on any surface without a bipod. It`s not the same as deploying the bipod (watch the recoil and sway difference between them), resting still has some sway and recoil, while depoying the bipod will have almost none.

One more note: Devs should make a seperate MG bipod with longer legs, especially with the SPMG and NAVID, if being prone, current bipods wont even touch the ground (weapon will be "resting" on the mag).