Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

What faction would you want next?

Chappie faction... (just kidding, I'd actually like some PLA or something)

chappie-3.jpg

Why is there so much hate for the Defender/Assassin/Protector helmets anyway? The only part that remotely makes them look "bug"-like are the copy-and-pasted PVS-15s that they wear.

So get rid of them and swap the model into something smaller and more compact. Bingo! Problem solved. (Night vision glasses anyone?).

I'd like to see the 2035 Russians. No idea why some people are so opposed to them, but there are no complaints about the same Western NATO/USA units featured in every OFP/ArmA game.

Also, does anyone know if the russia-based Raven PMC, that was in Alpha, will be making a possible comeback?

So I'm slightly biased I guess in this suggestion (and expect that not a lot of people would like it) but I'd like to chime in here.

For Opfor I don't really mind if it's Chinese or Korean or Russian forces. Hell let's make a throwback to 1985 and reintroduce a certain faction within the Russian forces still loyal to Aleksei Guba's (ofp's original antagonist) ideals.

Poised to take over the world seeing as everyone is in a weak spot right now, and maybe not even agreeing to the fact that Russia is helping the weak CSAT with supplies. (They might even be Greenfors, to fight the Csat aswell).

For Blufor I kinda liked the idea that 1 mod had. (Think it was lowland or benelux mod)

Say there's a few countries that backed down from the EU in time to not get dragged down to much in the crisis. A new Euroforce, mostly comprising of the western part of EU I reckon. Think Germany, France, Belgium and ofc the Netherlands (hence the bias:P).

Have them be the powerhouse (like someone stated already, why is there never any other force than nato, but there's plenty of replacements for the "bad guys"). Sporting somethings like the g36, leopard and leclerc tanks (or future variants of them), maybe a future Tiger helicopter.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents :)

I'd like to see the 2035 Russians. No idea why some people are so opposed to them, but there are no complaints about the same Western NATO/USA units featured in every OFP/ArmA game.

Also, does anyone know if the russia-based Raven PMC, that was in Alpha, will be making a possible comeback?

As would I.

Only for the fact that I want to see combloc style vehicles and weapons brought forth into a modern era and not csat style vehicles that are just random vehicles from everywhere thrown in with no general focus.

One of the new vests is a Raven vest, apparently.

One of the new vests is a Raven vest, apparently.

Different to the Raven vest that's been in for a while?

CSAT China with the Raven PMC for FIA-level "insurgent" REDFOR, and the Japanese Self Defense Force (primarily Army) for BLUFOR please. Having Asian militaries represented in video games is very rare, with the exception of North Korea and China as bad guys. You can slap in the existing US/NATO units so US-based players can have their 'Murica! protagonist, as the multicam uniforms and gray vehicles would still work on the tropical Japanese East China Sea islands.

I have a suspicion that the next expansion is going to be set in the pacific, so i am thinking something along the lines of Japan, Australia or China.

I have a suspicion that the next expansion is going to be set in the pacific, so i am thinking something along the lines of Japan, Australia or China.

would be awesome if they depicted 2030 japan as a highly militarilistic imperial Japan.

Nationalism is bolstering in Japan right now due to tensions with China, having them bolster their military by 2030 is believable.

You can slap in the existing US/NATO units so US-based players can have their 'Murica! protagonist,

Has nothing to do with catering to Americans or anything.

It is because without question The US military is at the cutting edge when it comes to military power thus games try to put the player in a position of power thus playing as a US soldier makes sense.

It is because without question The US military is at the cutting edge when it comes to military power thus games try to put the player in a position of power thus playing as a US soldier makes sense.
Whereas I remember Moricky alluding to the devs deliberately intending to invert that dynamic, harkening back to Resistance instead of Cold War Crisis/Assault, hence the depiction of CSAT and the events of The East Wind.
CSAT China with the Raven PMC for FIA-level "insurgent" REDFOR, and the Japanese Self Defense Force (primarily Army) for BLUFOR please. Having Asian militaries represented in video games is very rare, with the exception of North Korea and China as bad guys. You can slap in the existing US/NATO units so US-based players can have their 'Murica! protagonist, as the multicam uniforms and gray vehicles would still work on the tropical Japanese East China Sea islands.
*cough* That's because having Asians depicted in Western media (antagonist or not) at all is rare, period... hell, Battlefield 4 stood out for me for being the biggest game in years if ever with a notable Asian presence. (Sleeping Dogs wasn't such a big game, quality aside, and in any case it had gone the "set exclusively in Hong Kong so almost the entire cast is Chinese" route.)

the fact that Russia is helping the weak CSAT with supplies. (They might even be Greenfors, to fight the Csat aswell).

CSAT are not weak. According to the events of the campagin CSAT has become the counter-weight to NATO and the Western countries typically perceived as being the global powerhouse of today. In 2035 Europe is in the midst of a crippling financial crisis while CSAT (a futuristic militarised version of BRICs.)

Only if they do our accents correctly ;)

Not in 2035 they're not.

*cough* That's because having Asians depicted in Western media (antagonist or not) at all is rare, period... hell, Battlefield 4 stood out for me for being the biggest game in years if ever with a notable Asian presence. (Sleeping Dogs wasn't such a big game, quality aside, and in any case it had gone the "set exclusively in Hong Kong so almost the entire cast is Chinese" route.)

Battlefield 2 featured the Chinese forces.

Command and Conquer Generals also had a Chinese faction.

Your point still stands however, they're not generally featured in many games in the past and that's probably just due to lack of Western understanding of Eastern nations.

I'd like to see another Independent type faction, something like a terrorist group would be really cool!

Your point still stands however, they're not generally featured in many games in the past and that's probably just due to lack of Western understanding of Eastern nations.

It's because the chinese government doesn't like being represented in any games as an aggressor or anything negative and that really means anything. This information is pretty readily available throughout the web and if you see any game with North Koreans as the opposition it was really meant to be China just they didn't want to upset them so they use the NK as an orient power not so believable but avoids the fiasco of political incorrectness.

Anyways what I want for an Army

I really want a fully fleshed out official French Army as for the OPFOR I could care less although Russia's been done so many times it be rather dull to have them again. The setting could be one of the francophone countries in Africa or one they had a colonial past with, I'm sure they could drum up something for reasonable opposition if not asymmetrical warfare is more fun anyways especially when you encourage bold tactics such as ambushes. I being an U.S citizen am freaking tired of the U.S military it's all I see every damn game and movie for whatever reason France gets overlooked despite supposedly having one of most incredibly well funded modern army's in the Eurozone.

If they do toss french in I hope they don't slap in as one of those weak please everybody cooperative operations junk I've seen that and it's too diluted

Edited by Lefort
Combining Post

When they plan to add european forces, the modders were faster:cool:: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187621-European-BLUFOR-Re-Texture-(EUROFORCE)

Would love to see a professional realisation though. :)

With the little hints we get from The East Wind and if we look at the previous Arma games the setting will be most likely in the Pacific. So it'll probably US BLUFOR (meh, boring), Chinese CSAT OPFOR (which sounds pretty cool) and a local GREENFOR faction, depending on the specific region of the Pacific. Maybe some Philippinians or Indonesians? Pirate-Guerillas? :D

Or maybe more towards the main land. A flashpoint around Taiwan maybe? With local Taiwanese forces in between? Or maybe a bit to the north - a Japanese or Korean setting? Anway, the INDEP faction will probably be the most interesting!

It's all pure speculation though - I just hope for a refreshing, innovative new faction. And for some further development of the CSAT faction, away from generic OPFOR towards an equal and interesting opponent to NATO. Would love to see a campaign from their point of view.

I would also like to see a new campaign in the pacific, but I think we interpret to much in the video of East Wind. They talked for a few seconds about fleet exercices. That´s all.

I personally would prefer an new guerilla faction or maybe a few blue helmets. A landing craft and a little cargo plane for a few factions would be nice too.

There are multiple hints.

Mostly given in ambient talk and the small chat Adams and Lacey have in the first mission on the chopper. One ambient talk is about China gaining economical power and the chopper talk is something along the lines of "blablabla-drawdown-onlyOnesLeftToDoTheMonkeyWork" - "You'd rather be on a boat in the Pacific, huh Sergeant?"

Again, it's pure speculation. Could be anything anywhere, would love to know at least where the terrain is going. No details, just which type (desert, woodland, snow, jungle etc.)

CSAT are not weak. According to the events of the campagin CSAT has become the counter-weight to NATO and the Western countries typically perceived as being the global powerhouse of today. In 2035 Europe is in the midst of a crippling financial crisis while CSAT (a futuristic militarised version of BRICs.)
Not in 2035 they're not.
And as mentioned previously, that difference was intentional on the devs' part; even after the "winter of 2012 reboot" plot reboot BI kept the dynamic described by Moricky, boldfacing by me (spoilered because, even though it's on the official Arma 3 Factions page, it pretty much gives away the reveal in Tipping Point that informs the rest of The East Wind):
Decades of economic and political turbulence across member states has left NATO weakened and facing a strategic paradigm shift.

With CSAT political and military influence dominating from the Pacific to the Mediterranean, NATO seeks to consolidate their diminished forces around traditional strongholds. As tensions continue to grow in the east, a US-led joint NATO-AAF peacekeeping force stationed on Stratis - Task Force Aegis - is in the middle of a staged drawdown.

The remaining units - a company of combat units, a helicopter squadron, and support staff under the command of Col. Andrew MacKinnon - are chiefly involved in dismantling military infrastructure and decommissioning vehicles in preparation of their final withdrawal, as the US shifts the focus of its conventional forces to the Pacific theatre.

Formed at the apex of the Canton Protocol summits, this strategic alliance of states is built upon the goals of mutual defense, expanded global influence, and sustained economic growth.

Set against the context of foundering economies and civil unrest across the west, CSAT has risen in prominence over the last decade. Investment in shared civil and military technology and the aggressive pursuit of opportunities and partnerships throughout Asia, South America and North Africa has led to a sharp increase in strategic tension across the globe, as traditional spheres of power and influence are encroached upon.

Recently partnering with the government of The Republic of Altis and Stratis, joint civilian and military projects are supported by an independent mechanized brigade-sized force officially operates under the authority of Col. Vahid Namdar.

In the wake of civil war, the Jerusalem Cease Fire of 2030 mandated the creation of an armed defence force to secure the sovereign territory of The Republic of Altis and Stratis.

Although it officially operates under the observation and training of international peacekeepers, the force remains loyal to the new, hard-line Altis government and acts with de facto judicial and executive authority. However, it is debilitated by an inexperienced command structure and is blighted by widespread corruption.

Limited in scope, the battalion-sized force, led by Col. Georgious Akhanteros, is weighed-down by on-going counter-insurgency operations on Altis and, recently, has reached-out to the international community for additional support including, among others, both the political and militarized wings of CSAT member states and associated private investment companies.

To me it sounds like an extrapolation of certain real-life-2010s trends having begun (since they're generally omitted from OA, its DLCs, and TKOH) or continued unabated into the Armaverse-2030s... indeed, going by the BIKI the mid-2012 to mid-2013 Takistan situation was not stabilized, with NATO forces relegated to a few small bases, and based on TKOH (which I recall basically canonizing-by-inferrence a certain PMC ending) we may infer that NATO withdrawal was completed as scheduled.

I said biggest. ;) Thanks for getting my meaning though.

On top of Lefort's claims (though I hardly believe that "marketability in China" is a factor here), besides "lack of Western understanding of Eastern nations" -- or alternately (and more likely) lack of desire by Western developers to understand/present "Eastern nations" except through a Western-centric lens -- there's also the likelihood that the majority of a plausible armed conflict between the PLA and PLAN would be centered on platforms that are "out of range" (to use the recent Marksmen OPREP header for windage/round-in-chamber) for the devs' declared infantry-focused vision of Arma, so for the devs' more featured stuff (small arms, armor, ground attack fixed-wing, and helicopters) to get plausible play, one side would have already had to win so much at fixed-wing air-to-air/air-to-surface and surface warfare -- the dimensions practically ignored by the devs -- as to have made landfall...

And hell, how exactly does one simulate this in Arma except as a SOF infiltration or air-to-ground attack...

The setting could be one of the francophone countries in Africa or one they had a colonial past with, I'm sure they could drum up something for reasonable opposition if not asymmetrical warfare is more fun anyways especially when you encourage bold tactics such as ambushes.
So basically exactly what BI was trying to avoid by going for NATO vs. CSAT?

I really want a fully fleshed out official French Army as for the OPFOR (...) France gets overlooked despite supposedly having one of most incredibly well funded modern army's in the Eurozone.

I agree, France has a good army - very good plane (Rafale), very good attack helicopter (EC-665 Tiger) and transport helicopter (NH-90 Caiman and EC-725 Caracal), a very good tank (AMX Leclerc) and a quite good IFV (VBCI). France also has good gear (FELIN system) and very good SF (COS units).

Also, with the USA, the only country with active aircraft carrier + good submarines and aircrafts carrier (BPC class ships).

That's why it would be interesting to have them in the game.

However, as they're european, they would better fit in BLUFOR faction, not OPFOR.

But if they finally DO their way to the game as OPFOR, I think I will play OPFOR only then :)