Sign in to follow this  
thecoolsideofthepillow

The New Sounds are Pretty Good.

I was a little surprised when I loaded up a mission for a test today, sans mods, and had my MXC making a completing different sound than it was making last night.

But I kinda like the new sounds. Sharper, a bit louder, and doesn't remind me of a toy.

Just wait until you get into combat and hear the new bullet cracks/whips. Or when a helo flies by.

I disagree, I feel that the gun-sounds are a lot worse than before!

I'm the kind of player who, before mission creation in the editor, just runs around a bit in the editor firing the weapons because they look and sound so cool, but the new sounds shocked me! They do not sound right at all.

To me, many weapons:

- have lessened their sharp report

- sound too 'dry'(?)

- the smg's 'bark' in burst mode has decreased

- auto fire sounds more 'blurred', with the old sounds you could hear the individual shots better (for instance the old co-ax mg's sounded really impressive)

The new sounds sound to me a little bit like drum-computer sounds. I decided to sleep a night over it, maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but I still don't like them.

I am curious about a couple of things:

- what are the reasons that people feel these sounds are better?

- are there other people who feels that the sounds are worse?

- I'm now downloading a sound mod (JSRS2) to get the old sounds back, other suggestions will be appreciated.

- slightly of topic, I wanted to put my post in a new thread, but I don't seem to have permission to start one. The forum rules were vague about it, do I have to post a couple of times to become a 'regular member' and get permission?

Yep, pretty good indeed. Richer. Better.

new bullet cracks/whips. Or when a helo flies by

Those was changed too? I heard only about weapon firing sounds.

I will stick to JSRS 3 Dragonfyre its far superior to what they have provided especially for explosions vanilla sounds are pretty flat in my opinion. Yes the weapons sound better but still feel very dry and boring try JSRS, I think Jarhead should have made the game sounds for arma 3.

- sound too 'dry'(?)

They are dry for a good reason. There are new environmental effects coming that change depending on the environment you are in. Sadly, they were not finished in time for the stable release, but they have started to come out on dev-branch.

Still JSRS is far superior to what Bohemia is giving us and really dont care what they add later on. Why is it that stuff that should have been there in the first place is taking them 2 years to put into the game. In my opinion Arma 2 had better sounds than what Arma 3 has at the moment even with these new updates.

Still JSRS is far superior to what Bohemia is giving us and really dont care what they add later on. Why is it that stuff that should have been there in the first place is taking them 2 years to put into the game. In my opinion Arma 2 had better sounds than what Arma 3 has at the moment even with these new updates.

I wouldn't say so. I'd like to think that they are starting to take that move towards having the Base Game sound up to par with it's looks. If they take a lot of community advice, things are going to get so much better.

Here is a little example of the new sounds with actual 3D sound.

Skip half way.

You can see that if they were to create proper soundscape, it would sound as good (and better) than JSRS. However, that would be according to opinion, as everyone had their different thoughts about sounds in general. Never the less, it's a step in the right direction, and there are still more sounds to be changed, tweaked, so fourth.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

I disagree, I feel that the gun-sounds are a lot worse than before!

I'm the kind of player who, before mission creation in the editor, just runs around a bit in the editor firing the weapons because they look and sound so cool, but the new sounds shocked me! They do not sound right at all.

To me, many weapons:

- have lessened their sharp report

- sound too 'dry'(?)

- the smg's 'bark' in burst mode has decreased

- auto fire sounds more 'blurred', with the old sounds you could hear the individual shots better (for instance the old co-ax mg's sounded really impressive)

The new sounds sound to me a little bit like drum-computer sounds. I decided to sleep a night over it, maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but I still don't like them.

I am curious about a couple of things:

- what are the reasons that people feel these sounds are better?

- are there other people who feels that the sounds are worse?

- I'm now downloading a sound mod (JSRS2) to get the old sounds back, other suggestions will be appreciated.

- slightly of topic, I wanted to put my post in a new thread, but I don't seem to have permission to start one. The forum rules were vague about it, do I have to post a couple of times to become a 'regular member' and get permission?

I wouldn't say they've lost sharpness or character, of anything they've gained Character, and improved. Did you know the Mk-20's sound is the same sound from the Czech DLC from Arma 2? It was used for the Bren Assault Rifle. If you fire the guns now, it sounds more realistic, which is kind of what they're trying to accomplish. Of course though, it takes time.

--snip--

I agree, the vanilla sounds are just as good as JSRS and are heading toward being better. They fit the game much more than the JSRS ones do in my opinion, and fit their weapons a lot better too.

There's also the added bonus of not being a mod, so there is far less of a performance hit.

On top of that, their new system for having an initial sample + a second sample for the "tail" of the sound allows for a different sound in a canyon vs. a forest, etc. And I agree, the guns all have a much better character than they did before.

I agree, the vanilla sounds are just as good as JSRS and are heading toward being better. They fit the game much more than the JSRS ones do in my opinion, and fit their weapons a lot better too.

There's also the added bonus of not being a mod, so there is far less of a performance hit.

On top of that, their new system for having an initial sample + a second sample for the "tail" of the sound allows for a different sound in a canyon vs. a forest, etc. And I agree, the guns all have a much better character than they did before.

JSRS is superior compared to vanilla .. but they are going to right direction.

Find a nice spot high on a cliff with a .408 and enjoy that whip of a shot sound. Only thing missing is that 'after rumble cackle in the valley' such as SOS has.

In my opinion the weapon sounds of JSRS "simulates" ultracheap microphones with tons of distortion and zero acoustic pressure: krißschhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....metallic reverb with instant beginning. All other sounds in JSRS are epic. I will try the bis default sounds.

Find a nice spot high on a cliff with a .408 and enjoy that whip of a shot sound. Only thing missing is that 'after rumble cackle in the valley' such as SOS has.

Recently watched a video with some novorussians shooting up a building of flats with a T-64. The reverb from the forests and fields hadn't subsided by the time the tank gave off the next shot. Bang, then a dull, sharp pop from the hit in the distance, thunder rolling all around. That kind of soundscape would be amazing, but I dunno how they could simulate that kind of thing. Every surface echoes and distorts differently, and it is good that in 2008 combat footage was generally not 1080p, otherwise the difference between the real world chernarus-y soundscape and cherna would have been even more grating.

We are much closer, and the recent improvements make the combat so much more vibrant. Once tanks and vehicle mounted guns, as well as explosions get a makeover, it'll be a whole different game.

The few things BIS need to work on in terms of sound remain the sounds that aren't too realistic sounding. Grenade impacts, th impacts of Gunship fire, which is the same as Grenade impact sounds (copy paste BIS, tisk tisk. <.<) Countermeasure sounds still sound like under slung grenade launcher sounds from the past, and not the pop-sizzling sound of actual flares. bullet cracks will surpass JSRS, gun shots are more dynamic/distinctive, and less Hollywood as JSRS sounds. So yeah, it'll get better. I personally would have waited till most sounds were ready until releasing to stable, but i guess they wanted to get hype from the stable users.

New sounds are definitely better it has more details, but for my opinion they need more "punch".

Toysoldier: In my opinion they are punchy enough now. Maybe try and increase your volume. For a somewhat correct volume, stand in a calm environment and turn up the volume so you can clearly hear the ambient sounds from the environment. Only when you have done that, you are ready for combat :)

Toysoldier: In my opinion they are punchy enough now. Maybe try and increase your volume. For a somewhat correct volume, stand in a calm environment and turn up the volume so you can clearly hear the ambient sounds from the environment. Only when you have done that, you are ready for combat :)

Good point. If you watch my prior video, but this time turn up your volume all the way (Of course as loud as possible without breaking your ears, just below deafening) Than it becomes realistic, and you can hear the punchiness, especially with the TRG. Some weapons how ever still need work, and are either un-changed, or WIP.

Joining random public servers, most people definitely notice the new sounds and love them. "Woah! Did they change the sounds or something?!" is what I heard often.

Oh its only taking them to fix sounds like 2 years and yet modding community was there to fix it faster. And yet their sounds are same whether being in the open, urban or even inside buildings and that goes for vehicle sounds especially helis where you cant hear them unless they are nearly on top of you. Havent they ever heard a incoming heli in life. Its funny i have people ask me if this game is still in beta.

Why is it that vanilla sounds have the same sounds as being in 3rd person and 1st person perspective and did you notice that their new sound for rahim sounds like a 9mm pistol. If they are gonna add new sounds please dont add one or two to build the hype. Again its things that should have been in the game from day 1. I know i will get backlash from fanboys who dont like anyone saying anything negative about the game. There is a lot of copy and paste in arma 3 as Darkside pointed out and its not only sounds.

Today is the two year anniversary since ArmA 3 was released to the public in alpha. At least they're still supporting the game 2 years after its public release. These sounds are improvents and even the original sounds were a huuuge step up over ArmA 2 sounds. There was nothing for mods to "fix" as they weren't broken.

I'm quite happy they're introducing all these new features, when half of them were never even promised to begin with. All I can say is better now than never.

Oh its only taking them to fix sounds like 2 years and yet modding community was there to fix it faster. And yet their sounds are same whether being in the open, urban or even inside buildings and that goes for vehicle sounds especially helis where you cant hear them unless they are nearly on top of you. Havent they ever heard a incoming heli in life. Its funny i have people ask me if this game is still in beta.

Why is it that vanilla sounds have the same sounds as being in 3rd person and 1st person perspective and did you notice that their new sound for rahim sounds like a 9mm pistol. If they are gonna add new sounds please dont add one or two to build the hype. Again its things that should have been in the game from day 1. I know i will get backlash from fanboys who dont like anyone saying anything negative about the game. There is a lot of copy and paste in arma 3 as Darkside pointed out and its not only sounds.

Not exactly fanboys, Hehe, but don't forget, this is the same company who unfortunatley had 2 Developers arrested for taking pictures of military bases on our lovely island of Altis, and not only that, but the fact they ended up saving the Arma franchise from turning into a "Human Vs. Aliens" scenario... which to say the least, would have ENDED alot of long lasting Arma Veteran's subscription to the series. However, it is a small company. Growing, yes, so the pace has, slightly picked up, and were starting to get the good end of that. If you have questions for the Dev's and such, try watching their DLC Snake Peak this week, on the 7th. I guarentee you they'll be anwasering a ton of questions regarding sound then. I hope to get an answer on the possibility of Soundscape similar to Laxemann's appreoach, as it is THE royal, and best of approaches regarding soundscape at all. I actually don't like the idea of change samples depending on location, but rather, the location itself, changing the sound, real time and in 3D.

I do like ARMA 3 otherwise i wouldnt be hear it would be nice to have when an enemy fires at you from inside of a building and then to know that someone is shooting from inside a building instead of at moment where you hear a shot and you think that came from next to the building but instead came from inside of it. That is one of the main reasons i went to JSRS cause it gave me an indication of where it came from. Personally they should not put in a few sounds into main branch but keep it in the dev and when its 100% complete then release it.

Yes there is no soundscape when firing weapons and yes its a huge improvement of what vanilla had before.

Holy f. Christ!

The new sounds are great, love 'em, lots of improvement compared to ealier versions of the game. Not sure yet if I'll stick with JSRS, only tried a few guns and vehicles so far. Upgraded my audio setup just today with expensive new headphones and a decent sound card. Went on the firing drill just a minute ago and I feel the urgent need for ear plugs under my headphones. Every shot was like blasting through my skull, I'm actually a bit afraid of trying a combat situation. :D

Holy f. Christ!

The new sounds are great, love 'em, lots of improvement compared to ealier versions of the game. Not sure yet if I'll stick with JSRS, only tried a few guns and vehicles so far. Upgraded my audio setup just today with expensive new headphones and a decent sound card. Went on the firing drill just a minute ago and I feel the urgent need for ear plugs under my headphones. Every shot was like blasting through my skull, I'm actually a bit afraid of trying a combat situation. :D

Oh you should brave yourself. I was on dev branch infiltrating an AI stronghold as an audio test when I got lot up by a BTR-K, not knowing my volume was on full so I can hear all the details, the crack of 30mm rounds going through me caused me to jump so bad I smashed the escape key to prevent myself from getting PTSD. Combat is going to get a soundscape buff come the Marksmand DLC.

(Soundscape as in audio in general, not actual soundscape because I don't know that yet)