Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

The OpenGL answer to DirectX 12: Vulkan

Microsoft's plans for Windows 10 and DirectX 12, however, look very promising and we will be investigating the SDK to see how Arma 3 may benefit.

I am very, very disappointed. Why D3D 12? I think it is time to leave this third party, one OS API and prepare engine for Vulkan. Is there any reason for DX12? (except marketing reasons: "Whoa guys, we have DirectX12, so cool!")

I am very, very disappointed. Why D3D 12? I think it is time to leave this third party, one OS API and prepare engine for Vulkan. Is there any reason for DX12? (except marketing reasons: "Whoa guys, we have DirectX12, so cool!")

ArmA series will probably remain Windows and Direct X exclusive. Although it would be nice to see some fan made ports of the older games to Linux. Maybe BI will opt to support Steam OS which is based on Linux.

ArmA series will probably remain Windows and Direct X exclusive. Although it would be nice to see some fan made ports of the older games to Linux. Maybe BI will opt to support Steam OS which is based on Linux.

I have confirmation from Korneel vand 't Land that they are working on a Linux port via third-party contractor.

I have confirmation from Korneel vand 't Land that they are working on a Linux port via third-party contractor.

well, I didn't mean the thread to move to Linux ports, but thanks for letting us know. From what I understand the port won't be really Linux native, but I think that at this point it makes sense that we can't expect a real port to Linux of old code, if it's not specifically designed for porting. Maybe a new engine.

Back on topic, as the thread has been revived, there is unfortunately not a lot of information about Vulkan. Looks like they have a non disclosure agreement. Next step is in Cologne:

http://schedule.gdceurope.com/session/dx12-vulkan-dawn-of-a-new-generation-of-graphics-apis

Vulkan may or may not be going anywhere. Apple, the prophet of tech, has spoken: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/207767-apple-brings-its-metal-api-to-os-x-10-11-kicks-vulkan-to-the-curb

That is old news and that is Apple backed only. Apple doesnt hold a candle to The Khronos Group. What Apple is doing is making its platform uniform like Microsoft and Canonical are doing. Apple's Metal API was for the IOS devices but they are merging IOS and MacOS into one OS. Just like how you have Windows 10 for the phone, tablet, and PC. And Ubuntu for the Tablet, Phone, and PC.

Here is the current list of members (Apple is one of them but is known to go its own way anyway.) Notice anything? Microsoft, Apple, and Canonical are all Members of The Khronos Group. Who makes Vulkan? The Khronos Group. The same guys behind OpenGL, OpenCL, and a myriad of other Open APIs.

2zpcQbl.png

Edited by LinuxMaster9

The same guys who fucked up the OpenGL 3.0 release so badly that it took years before anyone would even consider OpenGL again. The same guys who released awful Vulkan pre-alpha footage with 2006 graphics running at something like 15 FPS.

The same guys who fucked up the OpenGL 3.0 release so badly that it took years before anyone would even consider OpenGL again. The same guys who released awful Vulkan pre-alpha footage with 2006 graphics running at something like 15 FPS.

Links?

You mean like DOTA2 Source 2 on Vulkan?

or you mean the following video demoing PowerVR (developing GPU, Video Processing Unit and Camera IP core technologies) with Vulkan. This video was NOT released by The Khronos Group. It was released by Imagination Technologies. (a British-based semiconductor R&D and licencing company, most noted for its offering of PowerVR mobile graphics processors, MIPS embedded microprocessors and for its Pure consumer electronics division.)

Here is a nice demo from Intel (again NOT Khronos Group)

The only things I can find on the Release of OpenGL 3.0 (we are on OpenGL 4.5 NOW) is that they delayed it for about a year without updating the public about it. And when it was released, it was not the total rewrite that developers thought was coming.

Let's see if you can do math: We are currently on 4.5. You refer to 3.0. 3.0 was released in 2008. 4.5 was released in 2014. How many years is between these 2 releases? Let's do the math.......2014 - 2008 = 6 years difference. Lots of things have changed in 6 years. Yet all anyone brings up when The Khronos Group is mentioned is 2008. Stuck in the Past much?

If you want to bring up the past........Microsoft, the developer behind DirectX........ALSO the same company that released Windows ME - The MASSIVE, TOTAL FAILURE of and OS. Also released Vista - The OS that took YEARS before it was relatively reliable and stable. People RAN AWAY from Vista back to XP and waited for 7. So, if I am going to think on your level, Im going to say that since Microsoft fucked up that much on 2 Operating System releases (and had the balls to charge money for their fuckups), then, I am going to assume that Windows 10 and DirectX 12 are major flops; Since you seem to like to dwell on the distant past of the technology world.

Edited by LinuxMaster9

The only things I can find on the Release of OpenGL 3.0 (we are on OpenGL 4.5 NOW) is that they delayed it for about a year without updating the public about it. And when it was released, it was not the total rewrite that developers thought was coming.

To be fair, I think he's right about that. I remember the huge disappointment at that time. If I'm not mistaking it was basically when DirectX took the lead. And it did take a while for OpenGL to catch up.

I still don't get his point though. Does he mean that "those guys" make Vulkan so Vulkan sucks? So basically the MIT, Columbia, Adobe, Freescale, ARM, Qualcom, EA, Blizzard, Unity, Valve, EA, Epic, Nvidia, AMD, Matrox, etc, etc, etc fuck everything up, and Apple is the prophet of tech?

FPDR

Ummm...Okay, scratch EA off the list.

Links?The only things I can find on the Release of OpenGL 3.0 (we are on OpenGL 4.5 NOW) is that they delayed it for about a year without updating the public about it. And when it was released, it was not the total rewrite that developers thought was coming.
Wrong. It was not the total rewrite that developers were promised. Something tells me all those developers who were outraged didn't remember wrong.
If you want to bring up the past........Microsoft, the developer behind DirectX........ALSO the same company that released Windows ME - The MASSIVE, TOTAL FAILURE of and OS. Also released Vista - The OS that took YEARS before it was relatively reliable and stable. People RAN AWAY from Vista back to XP and waited for 7. So, if I am going to think on your level, Im going to say that since Microsoft fucked up that much on 2 Operating System releases (and had the balls to charge money for their fuckups), then, I am going to assume that Windows 10 and DirectX 12 are major flops; Since you seem to like to dwell on the distant past of the technology world.
You are aware that Vista was screwed by the OEMs who stuck it on 2 GHz Celerons with 512 MB of RAM that had no business even running XP, right? You are also aware that people were bigoted against Vista on sheer heresay, right? That was proven by the Windows Mohave ads.

And to move to more recent fuckups...Valve, creator of the epic failure that is the Steam Machines, which they've semi-officially killed by announcing the Steam Link, also supports Vulkan. Valve, the company whose Steam Machine program showed that they didn't understand their own history let alone console history, and who dropped the ball big time with the OEMs: http://www.maximumpc.com/how-steam-machines-are-running-out-steam-2014/ That should say it all about Vulkan.

My comment about Apple being the prophet of tech is justified. Remember when Jobs told us we wouldn't need optical drives one day, and we laughed at him? But he's dead now, so that's why I said based on Apple alone, Vulkan may or may not be going anywhere.

Wrong. It was not the total rewrite that developers were promised. Something tells me all those developers who were outraged didn't remember wrong.

You are aware that Vista was screwed by the OEMs who stuck it on 2 GHz Celerons with 512 MB of RAM that had no business even running XP, right? You are also aware that people were bigoted against Vista on sheer heresay, right? That was proven by the Windows Mohave ads.

And to move to more recent fuckups...Valve, creator of the epic failure that is the Steam Machines, which they've semi-officially killed by announcing the Steam Link, also supports Vulkan. Valve, the company whose Steam Machine program showed that they didn't understand their own history let alone console history, and who dropped the ball big time with the OEMs: http://www.maximumpc.com/how-steam-machines-are-running-out-steam-2014/ That should say it all about Vulkan.

My comment about Apple being the prophet of tech is justified. Remember when Jobs told us we wouldn't need optical drives one day, and we laughed at him? But he's dead now, so that's why I said based on Apple alone, Vulkan may or may not be going anywhere.

How does Valve refusing to release an unfinished product spell doom and gloom for their Steam Machine project? The Link some how spells the end of the SteamOS project? How? I am also aware of the reasons that Vista was frowned upon which also include the instability of the OS. The fact that it ran like crap on powerful hardware is nothing. Oh and the driver support was ass. Ive done my fair share of work on Vista........it only got better with age. Now, it is tolerable but there is a good reason people loved 7 more than Vista. I notice that you had absolutely nothing to rebuttal with concerning ME.......very telling.

Also, saying that anytime a company does not release something on your time frame means they are an epic fuckup is insane. Valve has shown that they are capable of producing QUALITY products if we leave them the fuck alone. They released the SteamOS beta for TESTING so that they could make it better. SteamOS is also FREE and can be loaded onto just about any hardware that meets the minimum spec. OEM partners are free to design their own Steam Machines and sell them. Valve doesnt care. If the project was going to epic fail, Valve would have dropped the project long long ago.

Oh yeah, Pro-tip: Microsoft supports Vulkan. I guess Microsoft is an Epic fail.

Oh and Steve Jobs saying that one day people wont need optical media is nothing revolutionary. One day someone said that we would not need Tape media.....guess what? We dont need tape media. We switched to optical media. Now, we are switching to flash media. But the thing is, until ALL media is released in a reliable storage format other than Optical or Tape, we will still need Optical media and Tape media drives. You can have your head in the sand all you want but when your laptop's usb/lightning/etc ports fail to work you are up a creek without a paddle. Then you will wish you had an optical drive so you could try and save the data off your machine. And look at one of Apple's latest Mac Books.......There is only ONE USB port and no other ports. ONE USB Type C port. Someone needed to lay off the LSD and Heroin at Apple.

You are aware that Vista was screwed by the OEMs who stuck it on 2 GHz Celerons with 512 MB of RAM that had no business even running XP, right?

not really, no. Vista just sucked

and you made all of it up from that page you linked? Wow, and I thought I had just read something about a delay.

Are you now going to list fuckups, or alleged such, for all the members of the Khronos group? Interesting. Let me grab some popcorn

Must be the reason why he was so successful with Next. By the way, how's that for a fuckup?

It might be also worth to point out that Metal might be on the market earlier than others, but it is not exactly a leading force. I'm afraid the prophet is listening to someone else preaching

Anyway, glad to see you like Apple. Someone has to do that, or the poor Tim Cook would be unemployed. But if you think Vulkan is doomed to fail I would like to hear better arguments, which I would really enjoy, considering that information about Vulkan is quite scant. The forum over at Khronos is pretty dead, and Gamedev doesn't have much either.

How does Valve refusing to release an unfinished product spell doom and gloom for their Steam Machine project?
Stop putting words in my mouth. The Steam Machine concept was badly executed to begin with, that's what's killed it.
The Link some how spells the end of the SteamOS project? How?
It robs the Steam Machines of their last unique feature, as do the Razer Forge TV and Steam's built-in streaming: game streaming.
I am also aware of the reasons that Vista was frowned upon which also include the instability of the OS. The fact that it ran like crap on powerful hardware is nothing.
You mean myth.
I notice that you had absolutely nothing to rebuttal with concerning ME.......very telling.
Not at all, but the fact that you're grasping for that tiny straw is VERY telling. Plus, I don't want to make these posts too long because I don't want to provoke too long responses.
Also, saying that anytime a company does not release something on your time frame means they are an epic fuckup is insane. Valve has shown that they are capable of producing QUALITY products if we leave them the fuck alone.
That has gotten you Half-Life 3, AKA Duke Nukem Forever 2: Electric Boogaloo. Meanwhile, Valve continues to make TF2 hats that you no doubt have spent 100s of dollars on.
Oh yeah, Pro-tip: Microsoft supports Vulkan. I guess Microsoft is an Epic fail.
You miss the whole point of me bringing up Valve, which is as a legitimate counter to your statement that I am stuck in the past.
Oh and Steve Jobs saying that one day people wont need optical media is nothing revolutionary. One day someone said that we would not need Tape media.....guess what? We dont need tape media. We switched to optical media. Now, we are switching to flash media. But the thing is, until ALL media is released in a reliable storage format other than Optical or Tape, we will still need Optical media and Tape media drives.
No one ever said tape would become unnecessary.
You can have your head in the sand all you want but when your laptop's usb/lightning/etc ports fail to work you are up a creek without a paddle. Then you will wish you had an optical drive so you could try and save the data off your machine. And look at one of Apple's latest Mac Books.......There is only ONE USB port and no other ports. ONE USB Type C port. Someone needed to lay off the LSD and Heroin at Apple.
Do you have the slightest clue how durable USB ports have gotten these days?
not really, no. Vista just sucked

and you made all of it up from that page you linked? Wow, and I thought I had just read something about a delay.

Nope, it's just part of the flood of media questioning of the Steam Machines. Just google "Steam Machines are pointless" or similar.
Are you now going to list fuckups, or alleged such, for all the members of the Khronos group? Interesting. Let me grab some popcorn
No, but since you mentioned it, I'd like to see if you can live up to those words.
Must be the reason why he was so successful with Next. By the way, how's that for a fuckup?
Pretty good, considering what he learned from it.

That has gotten you Half-Life 3, AKA Duke Nukem Forever 2: Electric Boogaloo. Meanwhile, Valve continues to make TF2 hats that you no doubt have spent 100s of dollars on.

maybe you should get your facts straight:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/08/how-and-why-team-fortress-2-made-valve-super-rich

besides, you are forgetting the whole Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Day of Defeat franchises, not to mention Dota, and it looks like you don't have clear ideas about Half Life either

Nope, it's just part of the flood of media questioning of the Steam Machines. Just google "Steam Machines are pointless" or similar.No, but since you mentioned it, I'd like to see if you can live up to those words.

So I did make a search, and I found a few articles, the newest of which are from March. How about something more recent? Maybe something that gives us some actual facts. Something like this:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/327704/First+round+of+Steam+Machines+and+hardware+sells+out/

Now, much better, don't you think?

Pretty good, considering what he learned from it.

Considering the fuckups he did later, I'm afraid he didn't learn that much

But I find this answer quite interesting. So the steam machines aren't out yet, they sold all their preorders in less than a month, and they are a terrible fuckup. And because of this Vulkan is doomed to fail. Never mind that Valve makes one of the most popular game engines and some of the most popular games (yes, including Team Fortress, sorry), and that Vulkan is also developed by several of the major names in the industry, hardware and software.

Next, on the other side, which was forced out of the hardware business and ultimately acquired by Apple, is a great learning experience. So what's the Power Mac G4 Cube? A Nobel lecture? Of course, we are talking about prophets here, so when they say they don't support Vulkan there is no hope. Never mind that AMD, a Khronos member, was building low level APIs for consoles when the prophets didn't even know what that means

It's quite an interesting logic you have there.

• Like 1

The Steam Machine concept was badly executed to begin with, that's what's killed it.

Steam Machines are not officially out yet, they will be released in autumn. And I think they have a chance at getting success since all pre-orders are already reserved. I think Steam Machines could appeal to a more mainstream audience who don't want to bother with putting together their own PC but would still like to enjoy the higher fidelity, options (customization, mods, etc) and the more in-depth type of games (simulators, strategies, MMO, etc) it offers. It was said that games like Total War and Civilization will support Steam controller which is supposedly the best substitute for a mouse and keyboard. Maybe Bohemia will opt to support it too and port ArmA or Day-Z over. It could be the 'PC console' done right.

Half-Life 3 not happening has more to do with Valve's own direction btw. They became more a software distribution service company and are now entering the hardware platform arena too and they also said that they are more focused on online MP games now.

Steam Machines are not officially out yet, they will be released in autumn. And I think they have a chance at getting success since all pre-orders are already reserved. I think Steam Machines could appeal to a more mainstream audience who don't want to bother with putting together their own PC but would still like to enjoy the higher fidelity, options (customization, mods, etc) and the more in-depth type of games (simulators, strategies, MMO, etc) it offers. It was said that games like Total War and Civilization will support Steam controller which is supposedly the best substitute for a mouse and keyboard. Maybe Bohemia will opt to support it too and port ArmA or Day-Z over. It could be the 'PC console' done right.

I just have doubts about that controller. Not sure how it can replace the mouse

Ports will come. Porting old code can be hard, but I'm sure new versions will be better. I think about 60% of the games on Steam already run on SteamOS. And with so many games relying on 3rd party game engines it shouldn't be a big problem with all these engines increasing their support for other platforms (I don't get Insurgency though; it uses the Source engine and people have been bitching longer than a year on the forum because the promised Linux version is not there yet; it seems Valve doesn't give the code)

I always wondered why people don't write more portable code, but if you don't do it now you have to be retarded. My personal opinion

Half-Life 3 not happening has more to do with Valve's own direction btw. They became more a software distribution service company and are now entering the hardware platform arena too and they also said that they are more focused on online MP games now.

It's well known that Valve can't count to 3. I guess they get bored. To me it just says something good about the company

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-s-unity-8-gets-shell-rotation-fixes-vulkan-api-is-being-evaluated-for-mir-487252.shtml

now I know why Canonical joined Khronos. Nice move

maybe you should get your facts straight:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/08/how-and-why-team-fortress-2-made-valve-super-rich

besides, you are forgetting the whole Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Day of Defeat franchises, not to mention Dota, and it looks like you don't have clear ideas about Half Life either

Red herring that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

So I did make a search, and I found a few articles, the newest of which are from March. How about something more recent? Maybe something that gives us some actual facts. Something like this:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/327704/First+round+of+Steam+Machines+and+hardware+sells+out/

Now, much better, don't you think?

Absolutely not at all. Valve doesn't bother to break down sales, which means it's almost certainly a game with supplies to make it look like demand is higher than it is.

Considering the fuckups he did later, I'm afraid he didn't learn that much

Gaben can't even learn from his own history, where exclusives were all that kept Steam alive, let alone console history.

But I find this answer quite interesting. So the steam machines aren't out yet, they sold all their preorders in less than a month, and they are a terrible fuckup. And because of this Vulkan is doomed to fail. Never mind that Valve makes one of the most popular game engines and some of the most popular games (yes, including Team Fortress, sorry), and that Vulkan is also developed by several of the major names in the industry, hardware and software.

Next, on the other side, which was forced out of the hardware business and ultimately acquired by Apple, is a great learning experience. So what's the Power Mac G4 Cube? A Nobel lecture? Of course, we are talking about prophets here, so when they say they don't support Vulkan there is no hope. Never mind that AMD, a Khronos member, was building low level APIs for consoles when the prophets didn't even know what that means

Again, it's just a sales game by Valve: don't reveal sales numbers, sell out 2 Steam Machines, and declare they sold out. Also, what are you talking about? Are you smoking something, or are you just in love with the sound of your own voice? Also, AMD isn't a very good example, as they're headed for financial disaster. They're bleeding discrete GPU marketshare, Intel's new iGPUs have beaten the APUs, and AMD is facing a class action suit for securities fraud.

It's quite an interesting logic you have there.

So is yours.

Red herring that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Wrong. It shows that their games are very successful. Not exactly a fuckup. If you don't like them it's your problem

Absolutely not at all. Valve doesn't bother to break down sales, which means it's almost certainly a game with supplies to make it look like demand is higher than it is.

Or maybe they just sold 100% of their preorders. In less than one month.

I understand the point, but it is your assumption. Please stick to the facts.

Gaben can't even learn from his own history, where exclusives were all that kept Steam alive, let alone console history.

And yet no fuckups, unlike Steve Jobs.

This answer doesn't remove my point by the way: Jobs had a few fuckups, and not so small. The point that he learned is just nonsense

So at the end Jobs fucked up, Gabe didn't

That said, I really don't care if Gabe fucks up or not. I'm interested in Vulkan.

Again, it's just a sales game by Valve: don't reveal sales numbers, sell out 2 Steam Machines, and declare they sold out. Also, what are you talking about? Are you smoking something, or are you just in love with the sound of your own voice? Also, AMD isn't a very good example, as they're headed for financial disaster. They're bleeding discrete GPU marketshare, Intel's new iGPUs have beaten the APUs, and AMD is facing a class action suit for securities fraud.

Bleeding sounds a bit far fetched. So they are losing a bit of market share. Does it mean that Apple came after a company of losers? Not very prophetic, is it?

Oh, and if AMD is losing to NVidia and Intel, maybe you should have a look at the list of promoters at Khronos:

https://www.khronos.org/members/promoters

The prophets are there too, by the way

Wrong. It shows that their games are very successful. Not exactly a fuckup. If you don't like them it's your problem

Wrong. It shows that they are good at generating so much hype that people buy up their games.

Or maybe they just sold 100% of their preorders. In less than one month.

I understand the point, but it is your assumption. Please stick to the facts.

Says the same guy who is all but guaranteed to believe that when Microsoft does the same thing with the XBone or Windows 8, it's a numbers game intended to hide disappointing results.

And yet no fuckups, unlike Steve Jobs.

This answer doesn't remove my point by the way: Jobs had a few fuckups, and not so small. The point that he learned is just nonsense

So at the end Jobs fucked up, Gabe didn't

Tell that to the Steam paid mods fiasco, which Gaben tried to justify before he had to cave in and end it. Face it, Gaben fucked up big time.

Bleeding sounds a bit far fetched. So they are losing a bit of market share. Does it mean that Apple came after a company of losers? Not very prophetic, is it?

Oh, and if AMD is losing to NVidia and Intel, maybe you should have a look at the list of promoters at Khronos:

https://www.khronos.org/members/promoters

The prophets are there too, by the way

I never said Intel and Nvidia were prophets, stop putting words in my mouth. BTW, AMD's bleeding continues: http://www.techpowerup.com/215405/nvidia-ships-over-75-of-discrete-gpus-in-q2-2015.html

92a.jpg

Wrong. It shows that they are good at generating so much hype that people buy up their games.

Hype? We are not talking about Apple pal. *That* is hype.

I haven't seen the word hype mentioned one single time, nor I have seen anything implying that. Half life was their first game, and yet with an extremely good reception. Check out how much it sold and how many awards it won, and see if a company can generate so much hype on the first game.

Still jumping to conclusions. Try not to. Their games sell, are successful and well considered. Again, if you don't like them it's your problem.

Says the same guy who is all but guaranteed to believe that when Microsoft does the same thing with the XBone or Windows 8, it's a numbers game intended to hide disappointing results.

who says what? What the hell are you talking about?

Tell that to the Steam paid mods fiasco, which Gaben tried to justify before he had to cave in and end it. Face it, Gaben fucked up big time.

oh yeah, I'll take that. Well, in that case let's look at these fuckups:

1) Apple Lisa

2) Apple 3

3) Power Mac G4 Cube

5) Pixar. I bet the company would be bankrupt without John Lasseter

6) MobileMe

7) iPod Hi-Fi

8) Next

9) getting kicked from Apple. That was masterful

I am sure there are more, but I am tired of looking around.

You know who did all of that, I guess

I never said Intel and Nvidia were prophets, stop putting words in my mouth.

I don't have to, apparently you are doing a great job yourself.

Maybe you should reread what I wrote

Wow, impressive. And yet they started writing low level apis when the prophets didn't have a clue

On a more serious note, there is a sort of technical video from Nvidia, which also shows some difference in performance between OpenGL and Vulkan (46:00 and 51:50)

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggraph/2015/video/SIG501-Piers-Daniell.html

• Like 1