Sign in to follow this  
gepanzert-faust

Random though: why did CSAT not receive a MLRS?

For that purpose I'd say to go the bipodless "commando mortar" route since the gameplay difference should be more obvious to laypeople than with a lower-caliber conventional design: a trade-off of accuracy, diameter (power), and range for not only less weight but portability, i.e. at minimum only being a single backpack like the AR-2 Darter/Tayran but preferably an object which could be carried inside a regular backpack, and if possible even be a launcher-type weapon instead of a static vehicle. Throw in a custom pose where the user holds or otherwise supports the barrel (or attached grip) due to the lack of a bipod, and leave out the artillery computer...

... but keep the vanilla optical sight, because in Arma 2 the M252 and Podnos didn't even have a sight, only the artillery computer!

For that purpose I'd say to go the bipodless "commando mortar" route since the gameplay difference should be more obvious to laypeople than with a lower-caliber conventional design: a trade-off of accuracy, diameter (power), and range for not only less weight but portability, i.e. at minimum only being a single backpack like the AR-2 Darter/Tayran but preferably an object which could be carried inside a regular backpack, and if possible even be a launcher-type weapon instead of a static vehicle. Throw in a custom pose where the user holds or otherwise supports the barrel (or attached grip) due to the lack of a bipod, and leave out the artillery computer...

... but keep the vanilla optical sight, because in Arma 2 the M252 and Podnos didn't even have a sight, only the artillery computer!

When doing my plans for Irish Forces mod I was coming up with plans for the 60mm. If I can do it that it only needs a single backpack to assemble it, I was thinking of setting it up similar to the 40mm. So that when you page up/down the range changes to give you a rough idea of where the round will land. And when assemble with a bi/tripod bag it assembles into a proper mortar with artillery computer (just because ;) )

Hmm I thought turrets could be removed/switched onto other vehicles with out doing that?

I'm sure I've seen some pics somewhere showing modded A3 vehicles with different turrets than vanilla.

I wonder if it would be in the scope of the new future expansion.

Maybe its worth opening a ticket for it if one can't actually be created by modding original Arma assets.

Not feasible to edit A3 content, as previously stated content is binarized.

Edited by R0adki11
typo

If the PLA gets added as a faction for the upcoming expansion the type 93 60mm mortar would be pretty awesome.

It is brand new 2010ish weights 49lb has a range of 5 km.

rUh5fL1l.jpg

then of course the m224a1

Xnqk8k3l.jpg

Simple T&E to operate and fire, page up for charge up and down and a supplied range table.

Edited by gibonez

@ gibonez: As per my earlier post I'd ruled out any bipod design as insufficiently different from the Mk 6, hence why I discounted both the Type 93 and the M224A1 when looking up real-world light mortar options in favor of what I described in favor of something in this vein:

z6juRDxt.jpg

This particular model has barrel elevation (45-85 degrees) via the hinged base plate, the handgrip as used here has an engraved range table, and the weapon comes out to 6.9 kg. Other models Hirtenberger's M6C have their own sighting systems, and some (such as the QLT-89 "jet shot grenade launcher") use range marks on the carrying strap upon which to hold down one's foot (here's the QLT-89's range table).

That looks really useful and light. Would be pretty useful in bridging the gap from 40mm nades and medium mortars.

Edited by gibonez

If the PLA gets added as a faction for the upcoming expansion the type 93 60mm mortar would be pretty awesome.

It is brand new 2010ish weights 49lb has a range of 5 km.

http://i.imgur.com/P1xv36E.jpg (115 kB)

then of course the m224a1

http://i.imgur.com/Xnqk8k3.jpg (310 kB)

Simple T&E to operate and fire, page up for charge up and down and a supplied range table.

I'd love to see mortars getting some love - could start by adding a mortar firing animation :mad:

Also if we get China as a new faction then that's possibly a chance for a new OPFOR rocket system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weishi_Rockets

Actually i think the "Zamak" Is in the game. 

I saw it on one random koth server.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 9:13 AM, vojta212 said:

Actually i think the "Zamak" Is in the game. 

I saw it on one random koth server.

Yep, I think it got added with a recent update. I have it in Vanilla Arma under the AAF faction.

44 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

Yep, I think it got added with a recent update. I have it in Vanilla Arma under the AAF faction.

It was added in the Tanks DLC.

• Like 1

bis should have focused on large scale equipment like artillery, ifv's, tanks...

i don't see why they focused so much on mraps since they have no use in a large scale war, it's a little immersion breaking to see mraps being used in combined forces in a "large scale war" scenario, they are cheap vehicles with bad firepower and they just use them because they are light and good for anti-insurgency ops

54 minutes ago, fycj said:

bis should have focused on large scale equipment like artillery, ifv's, tanks...

i don't see why they focused so much on mraps since they have no use in a large scale war, it's a little immersion breaking to see mraps being used in combined forces in a "large scale war" scenario, they are cheap vehicles with bad firepower and they just use them because they are light and good for anti-insurgency ops

That's because compared to reality, Arma 3 average operation scale is pretty small in area, numbers, weapons, duration etc.

3 hours ago, joostsidy said:

That's because compared to reality, Arma 3 average operation scale is pretty small in area, numbers, weapons, duration etc.

well, the campaign tried to show it as a large scale war scenario and tried to be epic as it could, while using small mraps and little variation in tanks and ifvs, it just doesn't feel right, dlc have fixed it someway

samething with tanoa, the LSV is completely useless..., in fact, rhino mgs, the mora, the kuma and the t 140 are one of the best vehicles added post game