Sign in to follow this  
gepanzert-faust

Random though: why did CSAT not receive a MLRS?

Hey folks, something that has always bugged me - why does CSAT not have anything to counter the Sandstorm MLRS?

NATO and CSAT are pretty much balanced vehicle-to-vehicle and I dunno, it always really annoyed me haha

A Hexacammed Smerch/Tornado or even a Varsuk chassis with Buratino-style rocket tubes on top would have been so sexy.

I know some vehicles were left out (like the AMOS), seems daft BI would have modeled three arty units for NATO but only the Sochor for CSAT...

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Also do you think NATO and CSAT stand a chance of getting any new vehicles with the DLC or is that it for them now?

Combat_vehicle_9_A52_4_Smerch_MLRS_3.jpg

2eeyp2v.jpg

Edited by Gepanzert-Faust

I thought there were snippets of code about a Katyusha variant of the Zamak, but that's about it.

Wouldn't be hard to copy and paste the launcher model and config onto the T-100 to at least have a basic CSAT rocket system. You know, like the turrets?

OPFOR needs moar wuv.

You know what'd be better and probably 10 times more realistic? A larger boat with a Rocket System. Seing as how Iran currently likes boats and rockets combo, it'd fit nicely.

You know what'd be better and probably 10 times more realistic? A larger boat with a Rocket System. Seing as how Iran currently likes boats and rockets combo, it'd fit nicely.

I mentioned in another thread the possibility of a fast attack boat with a Bm-21 style launcher on it. Or even just a 8mm unguided rocket pod; would be epic.

Like the Shmel?

For that matter, it'd be cool for AAF to have static artillery, the sort that could be lifted by a Merl- Mohawk.

AAF is a limited army due to arma 3 campaign story, so they aren't in full strength and won't have heavy artillery. and because of it they need to have a partner, CSAT or NATO, and because of being able to choose one of them, they are in "independent" section.

Like the Shmel?

For that matter, it'd be cool for AAF to have static artillery, the sort that could be lifted by a Merl- Mohawk.

That would be sweet would give the devs an incentive to have ground based vehicle towing right in the engine.

That would be sweet would give the devs an incentive to have ground based vehicle towing right in the engine.

Tow-able artillery would be awesome and put that PhysX to some good use!

Hey folks, something that has always bugged me - why does CSAT not have anything to counter the Sandstorm MLRS?

BIS budget for A3 did not include provision for a CSAT MLRS-equivalent.

AAF also has tanks and multi-role fighters. I think the AAF could do with a single artillery battalion, or at least a few coastal guns for sake of defending the island from invasion.

AAF also has tanks and multi-role fighters. I think the AAF could do with a single artillery battalion, or at least a few coastal guns for sake of defending the island from invasion.

AAF is mostly powerful for fight against insurgents, FIA, they can't response to an invasion to altis from several frontline due to their lack of long range artillery and gunships.

Like the Shmel?
Not just the Shmel -- the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' Navy (separate from the regular Iranian Navy) was using small boats with multiple-rocket launcher tubes or recoilless rifles during the Iran-Iraq War and the concurrent conflict with the US Navy, while the not-too-long-ago hype about Iranian "small boat swarm" tactics revolved around such boats, further evolutions thereof, or outright fast attack craft.
This'd require artillery systems that come under 4000 kg in weight (the threshold for the Ghost Hawk and the Mohawk) though there are real-life examples such as the M777.
Tanks yes, but "multi-role" I think not; other than its AA loadout variant the Buzzard is in line with plenty of real-world smaller militaries' use of armed trainers/light ground attack aircraft (canonically AAF is battalion-sized!).

I like the idea about the MLRS ship but overall I think a better solution (with a good modders help!) would be to use the Arma 3 tempest truck as a base and simply add the Arma 2 Grad/RM-70 rocket tube model on the back.

The tubes could be retextured in hex and wallah, CSAT has a new, shiny and deadly rocket firing platform ;)

The first thing that came to mind was to create a "standalone" BM-21/RM-70 launcher and a Tempest-inheriting vehicle that'd attachTo the BM-21 to the rear, but then the question of just how to keep the MLRS accessible without further hijinks and potential for errors remained unanswered...

The one problem with that is that A3 assets are binarized: you can't open the models and if you do find a way to crack them or something, that's a bad boy move.

My idea has always been the Kamaz/Zamak with the BM-21 or RM-70 platform (RM-70 has the loader thingy) but now that if we got the Zamak wit the Tornado MLRS system I'd be Ok wit that, or even (If BIS would do it) the Typhoon/Tempest truck with Tornado MLLRS

Resources were tight when developing Arma 3 correct ? I would also assume that is why all 3 factions share the same mortar and there are no light mortars in the game.

Anyone remember if Arma 2 had light mortars ?

The one problem with that is that A3 assets are binarized: you can't open the models and if you do find a way to crack them or something, that's a bad boy move.

Hmm I thought turrets could be removed/switched onto other vehicles with out doing that?

I'm sure I've seen some pics somewhere showing modded A3 vehicles with different turrets than vanilla.

My idea has always been the Kamaz/Zamak with the BM-21 or RM-70 platform (RM-70 has the loader thingy) but now that if we got the Zamak wit the Tornado MLRS system I'd be Ok wit that, or even (If BIS would do it) the Typhoon/Tempest truck with Tornado MLLRS

I wonder if it would be in the scope of the new future expansion.

Maybe its worth opening a ticket for it if one can't actually be created by modding original Arma assets.

Edited by Gepanzert-Faust

Hmm I thought turrets could be removed/switched onto other vehicles with out doing that?

I'm sure I've seen some pics somewhere showing modded A3 vehicles with different turrets than vanilla.

That could have just been the same vehicle just made by someone else (like a Strider/Fennek or something.) I know I had to recreate the A3 turret from scratch to put on my custom vehicles because you're not allowed into the A3 models.

I'm not worried about MLRS, I'm just waiting for CSAT to break out their Rocket Boats. Iran loves rocket boats. Mix 2035, and rocket boats, and I bet you I could come up with a design that would fit CSAT well. ( I'm talking about a drawing, I haven't modeled anything since 6 years ago in Blender, and I have no modding skill aside from re paints)

M252 and Podnos 82mm.

Those are medium mortars no ?

Light mortars would be like the m224a1 that weigh less than 30 lb. I am not sure if Russia has an equivalent however.

If the BIKI is anything to go by (a generic Mortar in OFP, none in A1) and if you deem the M252 and 2B14 Podnos to be medium, then BI has never included a light mortar... and going by the current English-language Wiki it doesn't get smaller for the current Russian Ground Forces than the Podnos either. The PLA may still operate 60 mm mortars (EDIT: uncertain how many remain in service) and there is the M224 but otherwise it seems like <80 mm mortars are mostly a European thing nowadays? EDIT: I said mostly since Columbia's, India's, Iran's, Peru's, and South Africa's armies had 60 mm mortars in recent years.

Edited by Chortles

Speaking for Ireland. 60MM mortars are still in use though are used at a smaller level per company and by special forces. The 81MM is the main go to while the 120MM is reserved for when things really need to be battered.

Speaking for Ireland. 60MM mortars are still in use though are used at a smaller level per company and by special forces. The 81MM is the main go to while the 120MM is reserved for when things really need to be battered.

Yea I just figured for Arma gameplay light mortars would make far more sense. Light weight, ability to carry decent ammo on light vehicles and while foot mobile.

It would bridge the gap between 40mm nades and the much more powerful 81mm mortars.