Sign in to follow this  
vald0069

Questions about: Bones, model.cfg and sample model crash.

An example would be bones for a character in rigging, does it relate or is it just axis points with parameters?

Bonus question: In the model.cfg i found that the bones defined there aren't in the p3d model, can anyone tell me what they relate to (i assume they're just named selections that are configured in the model.cfg but I could be terribly wrong)?

skeletonBones[] =
       {
           "alt", "",
           "alt2", "",
           "mph", "",
           "mph2", "",
           "vert_speed", "",
           "vert_speed2", "",
        }

Do not read this unless you want to be exposed to severe autism, i didn't pack the whole folder i only packed the individual folders even though the config.cpp had a different destination for the files.

v

Bonus bonus question: My game crashes when try to use the sample models ingame "Data is provided unpacked, but can be packed using Addon Builder and tested in game." (i have binarized the model folders), after clicking preview and waiting on the loading screen i crash log can be found here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ncvgz72qglawdey/AADjySZs4hh3FFYwr7eAfK3Ga?dl=0

^

Do not read this unless you want to be exposed to severe autism, i didn't pack the whole folder i only packed the individual folders even though the config.cpp had a different destination for the files.

I'm just starting out with modelling for arma, so i apologize for the rookie questions.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vald0069

Bonus question: In the model.cfg i found that the bones defined there aren't in the p3d model, can anyone tell me what they relate to (i assume they're just named selections that are configured in the model.cfg but I could be terribly wrong)?

skeletonBones[] =
       {
           "alt", "",
           "alt2", "",
           "mph", "",
           "mph2", "",
           "vert_speed", "",
           "vert_speed2", "",
        }

Judging by the names of the selections, they're bones for animating dials and control surfaces in the cockpit of the model, so if they are in the .p3d they'll be in the viewPilot LOD

But yes, the skeleton "bones" are just named selections in the model. The skeleton definitions in the model.cfg are there to tell the game which selections you're going to animate and to link the movements of multiple selections together to form "limbs". Not all of the bones have to be in all of the LODs but they usually refer to a named selection in at least one of the LODs - for example you can define memory points axes in the Memory LOd as "bones" if you need an axis to follow the movement of a certain visual part of your model that is being animated.

I wrote a tutorial about linking named selections, including memory point axes as part of a skeleton, a while back:

http://www.rkslstudios.info/component/p8pbb/33/180?Itemid=196

Great thread, very helpful. Thank you for your time.

On 3/2/2015 at 11:04 AM, da12thMonkey said:

Judging by the names of the selections, they're bones for animating dials and control surfaces in the cockpit of the model, so if they are in the .p3d they'll be in the viewPilot LOD

But yes, the skeleton "bones" are just named selections in the model. The skeleton definitions in the model.cfg are there to tell the game which selections you're going to animate and to link the movements of multiple selections together to form "limbs". Not all of the bones have to be in all of the LODs but they usually refer to a named selection in at least one of the LODs - for example you can define memory points axes in the Memory LOd as "bones" if you need an axis to follow the movement of a certain visual part of your model that is being animated.

I wrote a tutorial about linking named selections, including memory point axes as part of a skeleton, a while back:

http://www.rkslstudios.info/component/p8pbb/33/180?Itemid=196

I know it's been few years but any chance of a fresh link for this I am bit stuck so any help is greatly appreciated.