zooloo75

"Impulse" (Convolution Reverb Mod)

I noticed that in the new update the "slap back" reverb I used to get from firing my weapon is no longer apparent. I am guessing that was the performance killer? I am sad.

I noticed that in the new update the "slap back" reverb I used to get from firing my weapon is no longer apparent. I am guessing that was the performance killer? I am sad.

The performance killer was getting nearby buildings. I don't know what you mean by the "slap back" reverb, could you please elaborate on the conditions that the sound would play at so I can get a reference? If the effect is in the v1 video, you can tell me the timestamp where it's heard and I'll reproduce the effect for the next version.

I've just tested the revised version. Have to say I much preferred the previous iteration.

Guns are now very loud inside buildings and sound suppressed in open areas - the transition is very hard literally LOUD and then quiet.

Can we get back the original balance + the performance saving code... that would be my preference.

SJ

I've just tested the revised version. Have to say I much preferred the previous iteration.

Guns are now very loud inside buildings and sound suppressed in open areas - the transition is very hard literally LOUD and then quiet.

Can we get back the original balance + the performance saving code... that would be my preference.

SJ

Thank you for your feedback, I am working on it :)

Hi Zooloo,

Just tried 1.1 It is an improvement over v1.

Done some shooting over the years (LE & USN just about everything M2 and smaller); outdoor range, indoor range & shoothouse (small corridors, 12x12's, stairwells etc)

Unsuppressed Rifle: Outdoor sound seems slightly muffled (come up 15-20%), did appreciate the bounceback that was apparent when one side was toward a building...this is very much what it is like. Indoor sounds are very good.... 5.56 in a small room is definitely overpowering - very good.

Suppressed: Problems. Suppressor didn't seem to have any effect. While they don't silence anything as their hollywood nomenclature "silencer" may indicate, they do quite effectively "suppress" the very reverb effect that you've added. The suppressed 5.56 in a room seemed louder than unsuppressed. I can't tell if you increased the volume of the gunfire sound or if the reverb is unsuppressed, but a decent commercial grade suppressor (Gemtech, SCo, Surefire) would drop the audible report 50% indoors and 75% outdoors compared what I'm hearing ingame. If I'm standing 30 feet from a structure it should be pretty hard to hear the reverb... Inside a room with a suppressor the reverb would be less noticable and loud report greatly reduced (esp if using subsonics in smg calibers) - definitely more pleasant.

You're on the right direction with unsuppressed (just bump the outdoor slightly) and look at how suppressors affect your effect ;-)

B

Hi Zooloo,

Just tried 1.1 It is an improvement over v1.

Done some shooting over the years (LE & USN just about everything M2 and smaller); outdoor range, indoor range & shoothouse (small corridors, 12x12's, stairwells etc)

Unsuppressed Rifle: Outdoor sound seems slightly muffled (come up 15-20%), did appreciate the bounceback that was apparent when one side was toward a building...this is very much what it is like. Indoor sounds are very good.... 5.56 in a small room is definitely overpowering - very good.

Suppressed: Problems. Suppressor didn't seem to have any effect. While they don't silence anything as their hollywood nomenclature "silencer" may indicate, they do quite effectively "suppress" the very reverb effect that you've added. The suppressed 5.56 in a room seemed louder than unsuppressed. I can't tell if you increased the volume of the gunfire sound or if the reverb is unsuppressed, but a decent commercial grade suppressor (Gemtech, SCo, Surefire) would drop the audible report 50% indoors and 75% outdoors compared what I'm hearing ingame. If I'm standing 30 feet from a structure it should be pretty hard to hear the reverb... Inside a room with a suppressor the reverb would be less noticable and loud report greatly reduced (esp if using subsonics in smg calibers) - definitely more pleasant.

You're on the right direction with unsuppressed (just bump the outdoor slightly) and look at how suppressors affect your effect ;-)

B

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate those with the real-world experience to tell me how things can be improved! :)

In regards to silencers, I deliberately didn't code for it (yet) as I am wanting to focus on unsilenced weaponry first. Your advice is very useful though for when I move on to suppressed weapons (and later, focus on more key details).

Edited by zooloo75

Rgr that Zooloo.

Can't always attack a whole problem, its all in how you eat an elephant...one bite at a time.

Just testing again on Stratis AFB in and around different buildings...Yeah the unsupressed is very good.

Outdoor suppressed is not bad. The suppressed sound problem I think is in the loud "drumbeat" reverb that takes over when you move indoors. With a suppressed weapon that bass drumbeat wouldn't really be there, would probably closer to the tinny sound you hear outside, but not as noticeable. You might even experiment with the pfft-click of the gas baffle/action snapping shut for smg/pistol.

Here's a start on the suppressed sound....

SMG/Pistol caliber (pfft-click, no bass)

MP5SD outdoor

MP5SD indoor

556 Rifle (tinny initial report - sonic crack is handled by mods like Laxemans ES, no real bass)

416 w/G5 Gemtech indoor (not really a fair test - 960 round gunfight you're not really concerned with suppressors, but its a good indicator of being almost on top of the rifle indoors)

M4 w/G5 Gemtech outdoor (report volume is somehwhat lower in this video, cam angles & distance different in previous vid)

50 cal

outdoors

indoors http://www.ifyourtryingtosnipesomeoneinsideabuildingwitha50calyourdoingitwrong.com

Good Job mano, keep up the good work!

B

Rgr that Zooloo.

Can't always attack a whole problem, its all in how you eat an elephant...one bite at a time.

Just testing again on Stratis AFB in and around different buildings...Yeah the unsupressed is very good.

Outdoor suppressed is not bad. The suppressed sound problem I think is in the loud "drumbeat" reverb that takes over when you move indoors. With a suppressed weapon that bass drumbeat wouldn't really be there, would probably closer to the tinny sound you hear outside, but not as noticeable. You might even experiment with the pfft-click of the gas baffle/action snapping shut for smg/pistol.

Here's a start on the suppressed sound....

SMG/Pistol caliber (pfft-click, no bass)

MP5SD outdoor

MP5SD indoor

556 Rifle (tinny initial report - sonic crack is handled by mods like Laxemans ES, no real bass)

416 w/G5 Gemtech indoor (not really a fair test - 960 round gunfight you're not really concerned with suppressors, but its a good indicator of being almost on top of the rifle indoors)

M4 w/G5 Gemtech outdoor (report volume is somehwhat lower in this video, cam angles & distance different in previous vid)

50 cal

outdoors

indoors http://www.ifyourtryingtosnipesomeoneinsideabuildingwitha50calyourdoingitwrong.com

Good Job mano, keep up the good work!

B

Thanks for the material, very useful!

The performance killer was getting nearby buildings. I don't know what you mean by the "slap back" reverb, could you please elaborate on the conditions that the sound would play at so I can get a reference? If the effect is in the v1 video, you can tell me the timestamp where it's heard and I'll reproduce the effect for the next version.

Hopefully this video I just finished making will clear things up.

Hopefully this video I just finished making will clear things up.

Thank you for the video, definitely clears up what you're describing. Rest assured that the "slap back" sound is in v1.2 (which I plan on releasing tonight or tomorrow).

Great to hear that this effect is back with 1.2, it adds some punch to gunshots.

Just wanted to thank you for this very nice, quite performance-friendly mod, works like a charm with dragonfyre lite.

Keep up the good work :)

This is some good stuff Zooloo75! Good to see you back. I really enjoyed 1.1 over 1.0. 1.0 was sorta clippy. Can only imagine what 1.2 will bring. I do use this with Dragon Fyre and it does sound incredible.

Version 1.2 released.

+ "Slapback" effect re-added.

+ Object/Outdoor echoes improved.

+ Sounds tweaked.

Thanks for the update zooloo75, this is one of those can't live without mods. AWESOME! ;)

Thank you very much for sending us the updated version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Ok I think I love this mod again... awesome !!! Great job indeed.

SJ

Ok I think I love this mod again... awesome !!! Great job indeed.

SJ

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Thanks for the update zooloo75, this is one of those can't live without mods. AWESOME! ;)

Good to hear :)

Amazing work on the mod zooloo75! This sounds incredible when paired with JSRS Dragonfyre.

Just one suggestion - Could you make an exception for the "slap back" sound so that it is not heard on launchers and any vehicle mounted weapons? It greatly adds to the immersiveness of the game when shooting in first person, but on guns like the A-164 cannon, it doesn't work too well.

Amazing work on the mod zooloo75! This sounds incredible when paired with JSRS Dragonfyre.

Just one suggestion - Could you make an exception for the "slap back" sound so that it is not heard on launchers and any vehicle mounted weapons? It greatly adds to the immersiveness of the game when shooting in first person, but on guns like the A-164 cannon, it doesn't work too well.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take this into consideration for the next version.

just tested the latest version. the following feedback is not based on studying videos or real life experience. just using my gut here ;D

slap back is brilliant.

forest reverb is brilliant.

hillside reverb is brilliant, but:

imho it needs to be more thin and subtle. the effect itself is great but i kinda dislike that air friction sound almost like air is pouring out of something quickly. in sound terms i think that specific reverb needs less of a white noise feel and more of a hollow sound. like some frequency tweaking is needed or something. and maybe some work on that tail that sounds almost liek a whisle.

just talking about that one sound here. the rest feels very finished.

Very interesting. We tried LAxemann's in the past but had some very unrealistic side effects. I cannot listen to this while at work but I'll subscribe and check it when I get home.

Thanks!

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!