Sign in to follow this  
DigDoug87

Wanting to rent a server, but we run around 25 gb of mods.

Hello All,

Currently a friend and I have been running our server of off one of his machines. While running around 20 gbs of mods, some people are having serious frame rate issues when getting into urban combat with the AI. My assumption is that this is caused by the limits of his machine, because it is not a computer built to be a server host.

Just wondering what companies you guys recommend for hosting our server that would give us no issues with loading all the mods and having full control of the missions we can put on. We would only need roughly 10-12 slots as well.

Thanks for the help.

Dig Doug

Take a look at FoxGaming, it's a fairly new host with very decent prices and great spec'd machines behind the servers. Currently US based servers but EU coming soon. There is a thread from the owner on the forums here.

You could at least test the theory that its the server by just using Amazon's EC2 service and then setting up an arma 3 dedicated server with your mods. It allows you to only commit to a few hours of build time and then you can run it just for the time you need. The storage of the image will set you back about $5 a month. Then you can start and stop the image as you need it and if you play weekly it'll add up to another $5 or so a month. Works out pretty cheap for a small community and you can get a decent machine within minutes. Get a C3.large or a C4.large and it will be about as powerful as you can get in terms of servers for Arma 3 and it will allow you to test your theory for not a lot of outlay.

However I will say this - we have the same problem even with this server. Despite what BI is telling everyone (its all about network traffic) we have been profiling the clients and determined that the game is simply bogged down on the CPU in its single threaded simulation part and in the urban world the overhead around the rending process explodes in time. The end result is that the problem is with BI's code for rendering and simulation and nothing to do with the server performance. Indeed if your admin runs #monitor 10 (just type it in chat) you'll see the servers frame rate and if its above 30 all is well. The maximum is 48 and that is where ours spends all its time.

I don't think a new server is likely to help you, which is why I recommend a temporary server which has minimal outlay and no ongoing contract. That way when it turns out you have the same problem as everyone else (the game just runs poorly with buildings and trees and....) then you haven't wasted money on a month or more worth of server time you don't need.

PS - We have found AGM has quite a performance impact. It knocks about 20 fps off without much happening (frame cost of 3ms) but as the game goes on this climbs. We think AGM is responsible for a lot of peoples problems and we are trying to test it thoroughly before we release full results but if you run that be aware we think its got performance issues and you might want to test with it on and off and see if it makes a difference.

Try http://oneprovider.com/

I've used them for 2 years, had a HDD fail on me and they replaced it within 9hrs, only time i've needed support, i can only say good things about them :)

some people are having serious frame rate issues when getting into urban combat with the AI.

Highly doubt this is related to the server.

For 25 pound a month you can get a 128 slot server from Elite Warriors Hosting in the next mont we get or brand new box wich is a beast and for the price it includes: 100 GB HDD space, unlimited broadband and TC admin acces to your server!