Sign in to follow this  
R34P3R

Say3D / Say / PlaySound3D - Volume and Distance ?

Hey guys.

i need to play a raido sound coming out from UKW-Radio object. i currently used PlaySound3D on Serverside.

But now some players telled me that the sound is extramly loud on there PC but on my system the sound is quiet.

I also tryed it with JSRS 3 enabled/disabled but i see no difference. Also tryed different Volume Settings inGame.

Now i try to use "SAY" but here it looks like the MaxDistance is not working ??? you can use radio1 say ["radio1",1]; OR ["radio1",50]; will not have any difference.

So does anyone know SAY is boken or why PlaySound3D volume is so mutch different on each Client ?

(Some players reported that the Sound is so loud that they dont hear any GunShots ! And on my System (Audio Settings all on 50%) the Sound is quiet and all fine).

Can this be a problem by my Audiocard or Windows Sound settings ? Because i need to use DB+28 on PlaySound3D and Distance 21 otherwise i cant hear anything.

Hmm that sucks :-( the Distance from "SAY" seens also be broken :-(

playSound3D is Global ? so it makes no sense to execute it on each client ?

Yes it is global. You just need to execute it server side. Do you have the same distance issues with say3D.

on the Wiki i cant see there is a Distance setting for Say3D... ?

edit: seens like completele the same ! You can use ["sound , 100"] or ["sound",1] the sound always playing around 40 - 50m

Edited by R34P3R

on the Wiki i cant see there is a Distance setting for Say3D... ?

edit: seens like completele the same ! You can use ["sound , 100"] or ["sound",1] the sound always playing around 40 - 50m

say3D does not accept 2 parameters? say3D

Doesn't the volume set in the description.ext define how far a sound can be heard?

i played around with SAY and SAY3D but distance is always 50m

That's because the distance a sound can be heard is defined in the config/description ext.

Changing the volume will do just that - Change the volume, but not the audible distance. ;)

You also said that other players experience the sound way too loud, right?

Try to check if the sound is played really only once.

In my early days I did a mission where I set a trigger to trigger a sound via say3d after a few minutes.

The trigger got activated by all spawning players at the same time, so we ended up having the sample played 45 times... at the same time, making it unbelievably loud.

That's because the distance a sound can be heard is defined in the config/description ext.

Changing the volume will do just that - Change the volume, but not the audible distance. ;)

You also said that other players experience the sound way too loud, right?

Try to check if the sound is played really only once.

In my early days I did a mission where I set a trigger to trigger a sound via say3d after a few minutes.

The trigger got activated by all spawning players at the same time, so we ended up having the sample played 45 times... at the same time, making it unbelievably loud.

That's what I said, but no one listened to me :(

Thats crap ! Changing the volume for distance..... if you put the sound on a UKW-Radio you need to use 1 or 0.8 as volume so the sound is lound enought to hear near the Radio. But then you can also hear it 100m away !

• Like 1

Ran into the same issue lately getting a helicopter to play music (I use Wagner - scares the hell out of the slopes. My boys love it!).

The distance parameter of the say3d command didn't do anything for me. In addition, although my soundfile had a good recording-level (loudness), I had to set the +db value in description.ext quite high (about 50) to make it play loud enough, compared to other game sounds (e.g. gunfire, helicopter engine).

After fiddling around for a while I found a working solution:

In description.ext I put

class CfgSounds
{
    sounds[] = {};

class valkyrie
    {
        sound[] = {"sounds\valkyrie.ogg", 50, 1, 350};
        titles[] = {};
    };
};

Notice the third parameter after volume and pitch!

In my example it adjusts the maximum range for the sound to be hearable to 350 meters.

It will also make the sound fade evenly from source to max range.

In the Mission use

chopper1 say3d "valkyrie"

to play the sound.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1