Sign in to follow this  
zbug

Automatic weather changes - looking for a way to disable that feature

Hi everyone,

I have a mission where I'm using the setTimeMultiplier command to have shorter days, like it's done in most open world games nowadays. It works great. I also have my own dynamic weather system that ensures the weather choices are somewhat realistic. Basically the vanilla weather has too much rain with only half overcast, and too much fog, so I've forced values for that. Transitions are smooth and everything works great.

But, there's this

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/nextWeatherChange

Return the remaining time (in seconds) over which the current weather change will occur.

When a weather change finishes, the game engine will automatically generate a new random weather change over a realistic time period (minimum of 90 minutes).

Making sure the weather will change randomly during very long missions is kinda cool, but with a setTimeMultiplier of 8, 90 minutes becomes... way too often. The biggest issue is how volumetric fog starts popping randomly, even on clear sunny days, and people with lower end GPUs start complaining about their 5 fps.

I can make the script that forces the fog and rain to whatever I want every 10 seconds or so, and things will look good enough, but that's a dirty solution. Is there a way to disable those automatic weather changes?

Thanks !

run your setovercast, setrain, setfog etc commands every X seconds or so in a loop to override the random weather changes