Sign in to follow this  
Sweeper

Raptor and other fighter types

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PHY_Hawkeye @ Oct. 04 2002,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It does look remarkably like the Typhoon. Can't say I've ever heard of it before. Looks like it has a tail setup like that of the F/A-18, the bit of the tail showing looks like it's canted rather than straight back.<span id='postcolor'>

A whole new generation of aircraft looks like the Typhoon. But the Chinese did have the help of the creators of the cancelled Lavi fighter:

a2.jpg

BTW, the tail setup is straight back, here's some better pic of the J-10 that I found:

J-10A-75.jpg

10-8.jpg

pv-1003b.jpg

The fact that the prototypes are using Su-27 engines and that the Russians are now helping develop it after the Israelis stopped their collaboration in 1989 suggests that it'll probably share some features with the newer members of the Su-27 family, like possibly thrust vectoring.

There is very little known about the J-10. All there is are a few photos, but any real detail on the plane have been kept pretty much underwraps.

Why restrict nolips? I liked reading his posts, they were funny!

LOL, "our plane is better than yours", "no it isn't!"

LOl.

Whats your favorite teen series aircraft?

F-14

F-15

F-16

F/A-18

Mine's the F-15, the greatest record of any modern aircraft. I'm not sure of the exact record of kills in the Gulf War by coalition aircraft, but I think they had 35 air to air kills, 33 of which were made by F-15's. If you include the Eagles used by Israel, the kill record comes around 100. And not one was shot down by enemy fire.

My favourite teen series aircraft is probably the F-16. Great visibility from the cockpit, wonderful maneuverability, and relatively inexpensive.

My favourite modern combat aircraft currently in service is the Su-27 family. Great speed and maneuverability (Especially the Su-37 prototypes, I hope those enter service), and awesome armament. The combination of long range R-77 and off boresight, thrust vectoring R-73's coupled with the helmet mounted targeting system is widely considered to be more effective than most AA systems currently fielded by the West (heck ive read an interview with an American pilot who said he wished the R-73 would be evaluated for the USAF until the Aim-9X was available). I like these aircaft so much that I still regularly play SSI's Su-27 flanker v1.5, and I can't wait for LOMAC to come out smile.gif.

I doubt the 37 will come out... not for a looooooooong time at least. The Russians can't find anyone to buy it and it costs a fortune for them...

A few days ago, I saw the F-22 maneuvering hard at low speed, the thing was running circles around the F-15 and F-16. They were havin a mock dogfight... WOW! The turn radius is just incredible.

You guys ever played USAF game ? I thought the game was awesome.When you did one mission ,you had like 3 other mission within a mission and you switch plane to plane.Like you would be an f-16 flying air cap,then switch to the stealth bomber and bomb a factory.There likes 15 diffrent planes.Also another great part about the game was you had camera bombs that you control to the target,which was cool as hell.

Nah, I stay away fro mthe arcadey sims.

Falcon 4.0 SuperPak 3.

Loads of aircraft, and you'll be able to start up, and fly a F-16 by the end of it.

All the bloody buttons work! All of 'em! And there are 6 bloody screens of 'em!

The Benchmark of Jet Sim's.

i agree, Falcon 4 with SP3 is very good, its just a shame that it has bugs (and very annoying bugs) such as CTD every time you "crash" or get shot down, then theres the sound bug, the sound is all stuttery from inside the cockpit and the other aircraft having the flight profile of the F16 too...take a B52 for example, flying around pulling Split-S's just shouldnt be possible...ahh well.

but besides little niggly things like that its a vast improvement

Arn't these flight sims very very hard to learn??

I remember getting one as a girt when I was like 8, I couln't figure the damn thing out.

Also, I didn't really know how to use a computer, plus I didn't have one.

I havn't even looked at one without getting a feeling of confusion since.

But they sound interesting.

I think Falcon 4.0 can appear complicated: all those switches and buttons, especially in SuperPak3. but it just takes time to get used it and it becomes second nature almost.  

i have no problem picking up flight sims though, but ive been playing them since the early days on amigas biggrin.gif

Never played Falcon 4.0, but I had Falcon 3.0 on my old computer and i loved it! Overall, that must have been the best flight simm I've ever played (although when Forgotten battles comes out by the makers of IL-2 I think that might change, after all the dynamic campaign was a very big reason why I liked it so much, and Forgotten Battles will have that, and countless more features. Hell, an aircraft's engine alone will have about 20 different spots where it can be hit with different results!  wow.gif Take a look:

shot03.jpg

another angle (over 100k)

and yet another angle (over 100k)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oleg Maddox @ head of development of IL-2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now please pay great attention. I open a bit our secrets. Here I try show how we use the blueprints of engines that to implement some part of damage model. Just the part… I will not explain all the details, just will point that only engine has up to 20 points to hit (that is standard program code for each engine with minimal differences.). Than please try to think what we are programming for other parts… Then think twice before to flame us <span id='postcolor'>

I actually went looking for Falcon 4 a week or so ago, but it's just not in stores anymore, not even with the older games sad.gif

Thats why I buy it where ever I can find it. Its now bundledwith some other simsin a DVD case, with no manual, or maps!

The manual is so big you can crush dogs with it.

I now own 3 copies of the original package. Two of which are still shrink wrapped.

LOL 3 copies? jeez man what for? That's dedication biggrin.gif. People like you must be the reason I can't find one wink.gif. Oh well, come november Forgotten Battles should bring me Dynamic Campaign heaven, and by the looks of it I'll be able to shoot individual sparkplugs off my enemies engines to boot smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 01 2002,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Oct. 01 2002,12wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's the fly-by wire thing?<span id='postcolor'>

It is a digital joystick smile.gif

Basically, in the old days the stick controlled hydraulics that moved the flaps and wings etc., whereas today it is done through a joystick, which sends electrical signals to electrically controlled hydraulics smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

All let me explain:

Fly by wire is a way to request for an manouver to the computer.

The computer prevents you from pulling to many G's and tearing the airplane apart. (try FS2002 and download an Raptor, the activate the "Aircraft takes damage from stress" option)

However the computer is backed up by at least 6 ones and the software is defently made more stable than Windows 98 biggrin.gif They even used a Boeing 737 to test the software.

Non fly by wire aircraft such as the MiG-29 has "Soft limits" on the stick, and uses hydraulic or pneumatic to control the aircraft.

Theese soft limits can be overriden allowing the pilot to pull more G's but at a risk to destroy the airplane.

But this is invluable in a dogfight.

The F-22 can't do this don't ask why problobly something in the software.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 01 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is the relation between the F22 and the JSF? Were they developed in parallel or is the JSF the successor to the F22?<span id='postcolor'>

Let me make it easy:

JSF is ground dedicated and to bring into PC comparison take JSF as GeForce 4 MX440 and the F-22 as the GeForce 4 TI 4600.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ Oct. 02 2002,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, a backup for my previous post (this is not flaming or spamming etc)

a battle between the eurofighter typhoon and the f22 at close range. the eurofighter will win because of its tactical capability. the f22 can dance around the sky all it wants but at the end of the day that is not going to save you from an ASRAAM NOT AMRAAM and if the missile does fail and the f22 is still dancing around the sky then the simple 20mm cannon comes into acount witch would be quite easy to hit a f22 dancing around the sky

i think ive backed up my post

thankyou<span id='postcolor'>

The Eurofighter is good oh yes. I have faced in the sim and it will be like they have said.

The F-22 is technically better than the Eurofighter but to win the raptor pilot has to use all the advantages availible to him in order to win.

I do not want to flame with this, just stating an fact from the air avation part of the Total Air War manual.

And that part was as serious as possible.......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do not want to flame with this, just stating an fact from the air avation part of the Total Air War manual.

And that part was as serious as possible....... <span id='postcolor'>

That manual was written a long time ago and with all the declassified information, plus it wasn't the most realistic of flight sims at the time anyway.

Trust me, both aircraft have had major avionics upgrades since then, and some of the kit on the Typhoon looks fantastic. (I don't know about the F-22. The RAF won't tell me about those funnily enough smile.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ Oct. 07 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think pilot skill might have something  to do with it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You just can't behave nolips71.

another 48 hour post restriction.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAH....

Anyways, back to the aircraft... the EFT is a multirole aircraft, whereas the F-22 is made solely for dogfighting (even though it has the ability to carry bombs, as that position will probably be filled by the JSF)

My thinking is... that the F-22 is stronger, and possibly the strongest air superiority fighter to date, I believe that because it was designed with manueverability in mind, unlike the EFT which is made to be a Jack-of-all-Trades aircraft and I think this gives the F-22 an automatic air to air advantage in it's original design.  

Then again, I could be wrong since there's very little information about this aircraft.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RaptorAce @ Oct. 07 2002,22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAH....

Anyways, back to the aircraft... the EFT is a multirole aircraft, whereas the F-22 is made solely for dogfighting (even though it has the ability to carry bombs, as that position will probably be filled by the JSF)

My thinking is... that the F-22 is stronger, and possibly the strongest air superiority fighter to date, I believe that because it was designed with manueverability in mind, unlike the EFT which is made to be a Jack-of-all-Trades aircraft and I think this gives the F-22 an automatic air to air advantage in it's original design.  

Then again, I could be wrong since there's very little information about this aircraft.<span id='postcolor'>

you obviously didnt read the announcement i posted, its been redesignated F/A-22 meaning its equal at attack not just figher

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Oct. 07 2002,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ Oct. 07 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think pilot skill might have something  to do with it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You just can't behave nolips71.

another 48 hour post restriction.<span id='postcolor'>

Post restrictions come in every way....

I better stop posting soon I guess, this is getting hot.

I know about the manual it is old but covered it very well.

+ www.f22-raptor.com has some info as well...

Yes, I do have passion both for Rafale, Typhoon and the Raptor. If i were to assemble a squad I would use theese aircrafts, take the Rafale, It is good agile and can lash out, but the french missiles have short range.

Typhoon is armed and a good plane