Sign in to follow this  
linuxmaster9

Running Arma 3 in Windows under KVM?

I am curious. I have been reading informational IT forums and have lately been seeing posts with complete information on how to run Windows in a KVM on top of Linux running kernel 3.18. The threads talk about how games running under Windows in KVM as well as Windows itself will get a 20-30% boost. I wonder if anyone here has tried that. I wonder what kind of boost I would get with Arma 3..... Word is also that AMD under Linux is amazing.

All virtual tech has a hardware overhead to translate between the OS and the hyperviser (hypervisers are kernals based off unix just like linux), although I have not used the hyperviser you are talking about I call 'it' on a 20-30% increase in fact 'any' increase in windows or linux performance its just not the way virtual tech works. There is always that few percent of resources that are not available to the guest OS which would be if you didn't have the virtual layer. Virtual tech is good for administration and running multiple OS instances that would not otherwise use the full potential of the hardware not performance.

Also it would make such a huge impact in the virtual market, being able to run 30% more servers in a enterprise environment would send shock waves through M$, oracle and VMWare, 30% off my capex and opex? I WISH! Word is also that you should chose your chip and OS to achieve the outcome you desire not just because you can ;-)

there's no way a virtualized computer will run better than the host. the performance figures are probably being compared to those same games running natively in linux