Sign in to follow this  
acoustic

AI spot distance

this setskill ["spotDistance",10];

^I use that command on each unit in a group (have played with values from 0.1 all the way to 100) and it still wont spot units within player view distance (maybe, 800 meters?). This is all just in the editor. What do I have to do in order to get the AI to spot at further distances?

setSkill will only accept values from 0-1.

That would require separate script emulating spotting abilities of complexicity dependent on expectations. Anyway, its heart will be reveal command. More complex, if it's not only about spotting, but also engaging with fire (would be involving "aiming" part of setSkill). Probably there are mods doing the latter through the config. Another factors affecting spotting are daytime and weather (mostly fog).

also unless your monitoring the knowsabout value, how do you know they havent spotted you.

Weapon Engagement ranges define when they will engage, in addition to how much they know about you, so just because they are not firing at you, doesnt mean they are not aware of you

As previously stated reveal yourself to the enemy unit and any value greater than 1 will default to 1, which is the max value you can define for any skill attribute

this setskill ["spotDistance",10];

^I use that command on each unit in a group (have played with values from 0.1 all the way to 100) and it still wont spot units within player view distance (maybe, 800 meters?). This is all just in the editor. What do I have to do in order to get the AI to spot at further distances?

I have posted this same issue many times. There only fix is to script something. Or you can try ARS AI or bcombat AI. Right now I am testing them and ARS seemed to have increased the range a bit but its not perfect. On thing I resorted to, was I used ARS AI to make it so that all enemy AI communicate with eachother over a long range, and I created UAVs on the enemy side to look for players. A cheap, aritificail way to increase the AI view range.

VTS Duckhunt doesn't seem to work anymore.  With all the Arma 3 updates since 2015, a lot of things developed so long ago don't work.

For anyone interested here's where the spot distance is for men in config:

CfgVehicles >>  Man >> CAManBase >> sensitivity

Default 1.75

Just tested with 5 (~489 meters running) and 3 (~379 meters running).

Spawning standing still in front of AI: 5 (~345 meters) and 3 (~200 meters).

Stance and speed affect the result.

Tested with AI inside a truck, same results.

Results tested with targetKnowledge, WEST vs EAST, AI would identify UNKNOWN for a few seconds and switch to WEST after.

Reference:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgVehicles_Config_Reference#sensitivity

See also:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgVehicles_Config_Reference#sensitivityEar

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgVehicles_Config_Reference#...NightLights...

Edited by RCA3
Reference
  • Like 1